My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 07 JD x300 with 85hrs that the trans went out on and I'm trading it in I would like a bigger deck and better trans NO K46! I'm looking at a x320, broadmower or a cub 2550. I cut 2.5 acres and pull a spreader and a cart once and a while. The ground is not the most level some humps and bumps. My budget is 4000.00. Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

I was in the same place you were. I was looking at a Cub Cadet 2544 or an X320. I went with an X320. Deere has a better warranty - 4 years, 300 hours. I think Cub's warranty was 3 years, 150 hours. The X320 also has a shorter turning radius than the Cub, if that's an issue. The X320 has a K58 transmission. Here's a comparison guide for a Cub 2544 (John Deere doesn't have the 2550 listed for comparison).

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecComparisonServlet

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,420 Posts
Is the transmission totally toast, or would you be willing to try an oil change or a rebuild kit ($200)?

I'd suggest the X320 over the Broadmoor, it has the newer K58 trans instead of the K57. Don't have the personal experience with either, but the K58 sounds like a better (updated anyway) trans.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the transmission totally toast, or would you be willing to try an oil change or a rebuild kit ($200)?

I'd suggest the X320 over the Broadmoor, it has the newer K58 trans instead of the K57. Don't have the personal experience with either, but the K58 sounds like a better (updated anyway) trans.
The trans is shot!!! I wish the rebuild kit would work but its junk. Do you think the x320 is the best bang for the 4000 buck? I have always had JD but this 85hr trans has got me a little sour.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the boards!

I was in the same place you were. I was looking at a Cub Cadet 2544 or an X320. I went with an X320. Deere has a better warranty - 4 years, 300 hours. I think Cub's warranty was 3 years, 150 hours. The X320 also has a shorter turning radius than the Cub, if that's an issue. The X320 has a K58 transmission. Here's a comparison guide for a Cub 2544 (John Deere doesn't have the 2550 listed for comparison).

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecComparisonServlet
Thanks you for the welcome! I'm glad you like your x320!

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,420 Posts
The only reason to blame JD is for their choice of the K46 in the first place, especially since the manufacturer gives them the option of adding a drain plug so that the oil could be changed. If you go with the Broadmoor, the same company makes the transmissions for Simplicity that makes them for Deere.

After seeking advice both here and in the Simplicity board (to check out their potential problems as well) go drove both a Broadmoor and a X320 and see which you like better, assuming that both dealers are within a reasonable distance.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
If you was to say ta **** with John Deere and buy something else, I wouldn't blame you one bit.
I would be ****** also.
85 hours and the rear end is junk, unacceptable.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I've said it before... There shouldn't be ANY of the X series machines with anything less than a K66 transmission. I would be sour too!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
You could do a K66 upgrade.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not mad at deere I mad at myself for not looking into the x300 and the k46 more before I bought it. What do you guys think is the best tractor out there for 4000.? If its the x320 then thats what I'll go for, or is there another tractor I should look at? I looked at the broadmoor but the way the deck rides on the ground in the back may not be the best for my not so smooth yard. Also looked at the cub 2550 and it seemed HD but there seems to be alot of unhappy owners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can buy three or four Craftsman, Murray, MTD, etc. tractors for $4000 you're planning to spend. None of my neighbors that have them have had a failure at 85 hours. This is ridiculous!!!

My X300 has 73 hours on it. I sure hope it doesn't fail like yours did. Why do we stick with John Deere?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I certainly wouldn't stick with JD if I had an experience like that, and JD didn't rectify the issue post haste! There should have NEVER been a K46 used in any "X" series machine... That is the most bottom of the barrel hydrostatic you can buy from TT.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm leaning toward a x320 or maybe a x500 but the 500 is 1300.00 over my budget and my cfo is allready ****** were spending money on a lawn mower. I should not have told her the x300 would last us for years when i bought it. I looked at other tractors but all I have ever had are deeres so I don't know about the other brands.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I certainly wouldn't stick with JD if I had an experience like that, and JD didn't rectify the issue post haste! There should have NEVER been a K46 used in any "X" series machine... That is the most bottom of the barrel hydrostatic you can buy from TT.
Brett I am so with you on this issue! The k40/K46 should be used in the LA stuff sold at the box stores. While the K66 may be a bit much, the K58 that is currently in the X360 should be used throughout the X3 line up.

To the original poster, if you can somehow find the money, you will NOT be disappointed in the X500. If you have some steep hills and have any worries about traction, try to get the HDAP tires from the dealer.

These links should help as well...
X500 series prices and attachments:
http://www.powerplaceinc.com/X500 ... Handout.pdf

X300 series prices and attachments:
http://www.powerplaceinc.com/X300 ... Handout.pdf

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called and got the big :lalala: but the warranty has been off for over a year.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow thats a great price! Thank you for the link. Is that price plus prep and freight and set up and all that? Or is that the price plus tax of course. Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow thats a great price! Thank you for the link. Is that price plus prep and freight and set up and all that? Or is that the price plus tax of course. Thank you again for your help.
I think you will need to add freight and any applicable taxes to that price on their web page. Might be worth a quick call...if freight and tax add up to too much....the price is at least a negotiating point with a local dealer. Print the page out and take it with you and ask them to match the price. :fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do! I'm also looking at the x320 but I'm thinking I better use the rule to by bigger than I think I need. Thats what I should have done when I bought the X300 that lasted 85 hrs. When i bought that I went back and forth between the 300 and 320 and told myself there was no way I needed anything bigger than the 300 but I was wrong!:banghead3

1 - 20 of 134 Posts