My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I attended an auction the other day looking for a cheap craftsman mower for a friend and stumbled on a JD 455 AWS 60" deck 1000 hrs on it and thought to myself maybe I should upgrade mine(46" craftsman) I own 10 acres but mow 2 the rest is farmed by a local
I don't have to mow that often since I planted a slow grow grass from praire nursery most of the time I'm just runnin down the stray weeds here and there and making the grass uniform. Currently the craftsman does a good job I can mow as fast as the machine will go because I'm not mowing and real grass its kind of mowing 2 days after you just mowed except its been a week and a half. Anyways the craftsman I have is nice hydrastatic 20hp kohler but I'm looking for something a little quicker or wider just to shorten the time up and something that I can have for years to come. I know the craftsman is not a lifer type machine so I looked at the 455 but it ended getting pulled from the auction
Dad has a ford 1100 with a brushhog and a tiller that might leave one day so maybe a 3 pt would be nice in the future. But for now I just need a mower maybe pull a roller around and a seed spreader so maybe a zero turn will do
9an a zero turn pull a 48"x24" roller?
So that what I'm on to is to find a replacement for my craftsman
Right now trying to figure out zero turn or small garden tractor
Thanks
Great site guys

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
:MTF_wel2: , you will find lots of information in the forums that should help you decide which will work best for you.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
:Welcome1: Alwaysready ! You'll receive some very good advice on what to look for. I think the first thing you'll hear is " Don't forget, bigger is always better. " Which is just another way of saying " You'll probably end up needing something to do more work soon. "

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Hey Alwaysready :Welcome1: I would not recommend pulling a roller with a zero turn mower. The hydro pumps on zero turns are only designed to pull themselves.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Alwaysready

Be sure and visit our Lawn and Garden Tractor Forums and ask away. You should get plenty of advice over there. The forums are here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

:MTF_wel2: we are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm about an hour southwest of chicago just south of joliet
Thanks guys for all the welcomes

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts