My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The bug got to me and I ordered one today! Well... I need one in all reality now (and I use that term loosely) since my 2544 is moving a few miles away. My FIL has been struggling big time with an old MTD Yardman GT for years on their very hilly/rough property and it's not easy on him. The 2544 will be perfect for him and he's always wanted one. I made him an offer he couldn't refuse for my 2544 and totally made his day. :trink39: I've been eying the fab'd deck Z-Forces for a cpl years now and hopefully made the right choice today. I'll have my trusty Case 220 as a yard mule and b/u GT. One thing's for sure, my two local Cub dealers didn't have much by way of 2K series or ZTRs in stock. Just one or two 2 and 3K series, a few commercial ZTRs and a whole bunch of 1000 series stuff. They did have one new 2542 flipped up on it's end in a Cub display to show off it's drivetrain. Pretty cool. Anyway, the current Z-Force 44" sale price is $3799. They knocked off $100 with the "Cub Loyalty Coupon" I had + no setup or delivery fee. With tax, $4022.66. Thank you once again Mr. GE / Cub Cadet credit! 0%/12mo. I'll figure out how to pay the bugger off by next March. :fing20:

Joel

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Those look great! If I were to have one that is what I'd get. Make sure you pay it off or they will hit you with a TON of interest!

Oh and ............you need to change your signature :)

·
forkz
5,993 Posts
jmoe i have a zforce 50 mine is a 06 model this is my 4th season no problems yet it fas 23 hp kohler command i love it saves a lotta time wayne

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DN, I hear that. You gotta watch the financing or you'll get bit HARD. I used the same deal back in '05 when I bought the 2544. Worked out fine at the time.

Forkz, thanks. I wished I could have seen/felt/touched a new Z-Force 44". The closest my dealers had were "Tank" series and the new Z-Force-S with the steering wheel. AFAIK, the only thing new to the 2010 Z-Force 44" is the deck is fab'd and the tires are bigger. If I get an '09 sent to the house poop is going to hit the fan. :Stop:

Joel

·
1,124 Posts
Nice deal. The only thing I don't like about the Z-Force is the Kohler Courage engines - too many plastic parts in them. I haven't heard of any trouble, yet, with them, so it might be I'm just paranoid about plastic in engines.

Now the Z-Force S series looks good - a 48 inch with 22 hp Kawasaki is on sale for $3999 - I like the idea of the steering wheel instead of the control sticks.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/...ry2_10051_14101_1210162_16200_600000_-1_image

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice deal. The only thing I don't like about the Z-Force is the Kohler Courage engines - too many plastic parts in them. I haven't heard of any trouble, yet, with them, so it might be I'm just paranoid about plastic in engines.
I hear you, although I can't find any major hard part differences between the Command and Courage V-twins. The guts are the same. The shrouding and air filter housings are definitely different between the two and the Courage block casting appears to be more smooth on the exterior as opposed to the fins/grooves on the exterior of the Command block. Maybe the Command block is stiffer? Dunno. To muddy the waters further, the 2009's Z-forces listed as having the Courage Pro Series, where the 2010 just say Courage on the spec sheet. Regardless, it's a horrible marketing name for an engine IMO. Courage?? It ain't worth a poop but the little feller has guts?:fing20: It's like saying "Hey guys.. I just bought a new Chrysler I think I can". I'll snap some photos once I get it. Dealer said "a cpl weeks". That "S" series was nice. It's got a thicker frame than that lap bar equipped ZTRs. It just looks awkwardly high up as compared to the lap bar models. It appears they had to raise the frame to accommodate the steering components. That and I'd rather stay away from all the extra steering components.

forkz, thanks for posting the pic!

Joel

·
forkz
5,993 Posts
j my bro made me a hitch for mine i can put iton or off n about 10 mins it hangs low have to take off when loading on trailer if u like i get u some pix i pull a sweeper n small yard trailer wayne

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey good to know! The welded box frame on these does seem fairly sturdy and stiff. I'll probably use my Case 220 for any towing duty. The other nice thing is the Cub 2544 will be staying in the family as well. I'd hate to totally part ways with it. Here's my old Case..

Joel

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got to retract a statement I made above. I reviewed and compared the online service manuals for both the Command and Courage series vertical shaft twins. There indeed are some hardware differences. Most notably, the Courage series twin uses locknut valve lash adjustment, where the Commands have always had maintenance free hydraulic lash adjusters (Chevy small block lifters to be exact). The blocks, CC breather and intake manifolds have slight differences between the two as well (look a little less substantial in the Courage). Regardless, given my 30-40hrs/year usage, other things *should* break first!

Joel

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't ask about the 0%/48mo, but from the looks of it, you have to buy something $5K or more to qualify.

Joel

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
@JMoe : I'm excited for you! Looking forward to your impressions once you get it and take it for a spin.

@forkz : Didn't I see a posting on here where you had modified your front casters to go to a single caster on a forward center boom? That photo shows the usual 2 casters -- the single wheel didn't work out? Or am I thinking of another ZTR owner...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: :congrats: and I wish you the very best with it. The ole Case looks great also. slkpk

·
forkz
5,993 Posts
joel heard anything from your new baby yet i know u will like it wayne

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's supposed to be delivered late this afternoon. As of Tuesday, it still hadn't come from the factory. I ordered it on 4/21/10. Dealer claims the hold-up was due to the early start of the mowing season this year. Says it began 2-3 earlier than normal and cleaned out much of the Cub dealer network's stock. I'll get some pics on here ASAP!

Joel

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope you enjoy the new Z-Force, and I hope it shows up today for you.

I had to wait 3 weeks for my GT2544. My dealer told me that it was because we had an early spring and all of the units were being shipped to southern dealers first. Our spring is normally later, so the southern dealers get their inventory first. Almost the same thing your dealer said.

I have never mowed with a zero turn, but they look like fun!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts