My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need your help for new toys

Guys I posted a thread in the tools section looking for tool suggestions for the wife for my birthday. I am getting no responses so I thought I would add to it on the Case category.

The little lady needs suggestions for me so I can play nice over the winter with the tractor. What tools would you suggest that are a great value or you cant live without.

FYI. i would love a paint gun and soda blaster set up to do a restore between snow storms.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What do you have now and to what extent of repairs do you want to be able to do?

Basic tools would include set of combination wrenches, 1/4 and 3/8" ratchet handles and sockets both metric and standard, good set of screw drivers, a variety set of pliers, wire cutters, punch set, and a good hammer because if a hammer doen't fix it then you have an eletrical problem.:trink40:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a General Contractor, so I have most of the basic hand tools already. Aside from basic wrenches, pliers and hammers, what are the tools I might want to look into. I know I will need a decent shop compressor as mine is on the job site all the time. I have a nice angle grinder.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll ask again what type of repairs are you looking to do, kind of like me asking you what tools I need to build stuff from lumber??

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
A good sturdy workbench, a quality 6" jaw vise, a saws-all, air compressor at least 30 gallon tank & 10 cfm @ 90 lbs, 1/2" drive impact, small MIG welder.

:fing32:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I always recommend a set of Metwrinch wrenches. No need to wonder if a nut is metric or not, they fit everything. I've sworn by them for over twenty years, and they've never let me down. They are made in Taiwan but are of good quality too. No, I don't work for them.

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
I cannot recommend this set high enough.
Best $ for $ tool set I have ever seen

Look at the reviews everyone gives it 5 stars, and while you may need a few more tools...for almost everything you do the stuff is in this kit, and it is a nice storage unit so you know when everything is in its place...Really it is THAT GOOD. My son has had his for 5 years and everything is still in the box unbroken...Good Luck

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For projects I would like to repaint the case back to the factory colors. Also all the general repairs that come with a 40 year old tractor. That is for this winter. Maybe in the spring I will have a second project or start getting creative.

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
JB repainting properly could be costly, perhaps THE MOST' costly thing a hobbyist could do. Large compressor, sanders, spray guns, thinners, hardeners etc... and you must completely disassemble it to make it look right, otherwise it's gonna look like a kid did it...IMHO

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A good sturdy workbench, a quality 6" jaw vise, a saws-all, air compressor at least 30 gallon tank & 10 cfm @ 90 lbs, 1/2" drive impact, small MIG welder.

:fing32:
All of the above are good suggestions, but I would add a high quality 3/8" drive impact wrench. I use my 1/2 maybe 5% as much as the 3/8 since I got a IR 2115. Lots of power, very compact and light weight. And I would get the biggest air compressor possible along with a nice gravity feed, HVLP paint gun. You don't need to go crazy with the gun, they can be had from around $40 up to $600.

I might even replace the MIG with a Oxy/Acet rig. Great for cutting, bending, brazing and light welding. I have both, but I've been building my tool set for a LONG time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JB repainting properly could be costly, perhaps THE MOST' costly thing a hobbyist could do. Large compressor, sanders, spray guns, thinners, hardeners etc... and you must completely disassemble it to make it look right, otherwise it's gonna look like a kid did it...IMHO
Yes to all of the above, lol. I just picked up a second "work" tractor and plan to make the '72 more of a restore project and show tractor. I plan on getting it all (maybe slowly) and doing it right. I have a knack with Craigslist so maybe I can find a few of the higher ticket items on there.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have been using my carpentry skills to build up some decent benches and storage. Now I just need to fill them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Klein Fully Reversible Ratcheting Offset Box Wrench Set, 5-Piece
I have had the set from Craftsman for over 20 years but cracked them a few times (they replaced it but it's still a PITA). This one hasn't broken yet, and the offset is much handier. I love these things, especially when you're away from the bench and don't want to carry an entire toolbox.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but that " one bolt" that I don't have at the moment I need it have is always a pain. Mr's M took note last year, and got me a slide out bin with machine screws and nuts, and I'm hoping this year will be a bunch of individual boxes of nuts and bolts.

As for doing a restoration work , a touchup paint gun is very handy.....and can run off a moderately sized compressor.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well today is the day. The Dirty 30 has crept up on me. I did get a $100 gift card for Harbor Freight for some "fun" tools.
I really like the 301 piece mechanic set that someone else had suggested, but on the other hand that is more usefull than fun, lol.
I have gotten pretty good at prep with my grinder and paint with rattle cans, so a blaster, gun and compressor are not really "needed" right now.
I am thinking I might look into the little 90w flux wire welder or something similar. I know at some point down the line I will want gas, 220v, and more adaptability but this would be a good start and fun.
Anyone have any other "fun" suggestions from Harbor Freight? The little lady is going to drop me off there this afternoon.

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
I'd have to second the Air Impact wrench set... I DO NOT have one and it is NUMERO UNO on my wish list.

...especially when restoring...having those little sanding discs at my disposal on a small Impact tool would...be...AWESOME!
Also, having the ability to useit as a powered socket set would be nice!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions. However it was a really simple choice once I walked in the door. The little 90 amp welder was on sale for $89.99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html
I have always wanted to try my hand at welding and fabrication and thought this would be a nice start. I know down the line I will want a better unit, but this will work fine for now. If any of you want to check this out the deal technically starts just after thanksgiving.
I also had a very interesting conversation with the manager. He had just returned from a corporate conference and had some cool info on the new direction the company is taking. They are going to maintain there current prices but work hard on improving quality. To do this they have set up a quality control facility in California to inspect warranty returns and torture test there products. He says they have had this in place for years, but it was oversees (China) and couldn't be closely monitored. In order to make the needed improvements but keep the prices they are setting up multiple manufacturers for each item. This way they each compete to create the higher quality improved design and at the old price.
I also learned they offer a lifetime waranty on all hand tools just like craftsman. While this might be a pain if the socket or wrench breaks, it does give me a higher level of confidence in the products.
I have a bit more "mad money" left from the bday still. I am saving it for an offer on a friends 448. However if that doesnt work out I might grab a few more items from HF and see how it goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts