My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to put some time on my new X and got some pictures of the finished product. 3.5hr on the clock now between mine and my parents and aunts house. I windrowed my parents long paved driveway till it was about 1 foot tall and it didn’t even notice! I love diesel!

I have two questions so far. 1 – Do I have to have the valve stems at the 12 o’clock position to add or let air out of the rear rim guard loaded tires? And 2 – what is everyone running for shoes on their plows that have gravel driveways. Do they make a larger shoe that floats a little better? I guess it would not be so bad if it was cold all winter and the gravel froze, but as it stands there is a lot of fiddling with the plow height to keep from excavating gravel while plowing my long gravel drive.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
If you are fiddiling with the plow height then you may not be floating the blade. Push the lever forward hard and click it into float possition.
Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
412 Posts
"1- Do I have to have the valve stems at the 12 o’clock position to add or let air out of the rear rim guard loaded tires?"

YES.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,918 Posts
If you are fiddiling with the plow height then you may not be floating the blade. Push the lever forward hard and click it into float possition.
Thanks for the pics
If you put the blade in the float position on loose gravel that isn't frozen, it'll just keep going deeper. Pretty soon all of your rock is in your yard and not on your driveway. Then you need a broom for your tractor, etc. :biglaugh:

Nice pics. I did the same thing today. :D

As for the shoes, you could weld some wider pieces of steel on the bottom of the factory shoes. I'm having the same issue on gravel since it isn't frozen.

·
Registered
989 Posts
When you are plowing on gravel you want to drop the skid shoes down to raise the blade up a bit, perhaps upwards of 1", but no higher than than necessary to keep from tossing all your gravel. For me 1/2-3/4" is about right.

With the skid shoes down, lower the blade all the way and let the skid shoes carry the blade weight. You should not need to ride the blade height controls normally.

When and if you get a hard pack base, raise the skid shoes and let the blade ride on the hard packed snow base to keep it from getting any thicker.

As far as skid shoes, JD does sell replacements and heavy duty replacements. Alternatively you can adapt a set of big boy plow shoes.

·
Premium Member
31,647 Posts
Thanks for the pics, good to see that some guys are getting seat time. :trink39::trink39:

Valve stems at 12:00. :fing32:

I use a rubber squeegee kit on the bottom of the blade and it works well for my gravel driveway.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It looks great, thanks for the pictures and glad to hear it is working well for you. :thThumbsU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,554 Posts
Bossgobler provided links to a couple threads with pictures of bigger feet on the skids.
I'm sure one of those ideas will help you float better on the un-ice-packed gravel. Call them global warming skids.

Your tractor and the properties you are working look awesome. Congrats on the new x748, enjoy it for many years to come.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
:thanku: for the pics, the scenery is gorgeous. I had a rubber edge on my blade too. Although my drives are pavement and concrete, the rubber edge did an excellent job of not tearing the yard when I pushed snow off of the drives. So I would be inclined to go with Mike's advice and give it a shot on your gravel surface. Keep us posted.:fing32:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I am going to weld some bigger feet on the stock shoe’s and go from there. Maybe try and get some dished one’s.

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
Nice pics, and a very nice looking tractor. Seeing yours, and other's X700s, I keep thinking of what a nice tractor it would be to have.

As far as gravel drives go, I plowed parking lots, and driveways on the side for 18 years.
A few of them were gravel. I quickly learned that floating the plow was not the way to go. Instead, I would stop the truck, drop the plow, and then JUST raise it off of the ground. I would then proceed with the plow in this raised position. Even at this, the plow would catch occasional high spots, but any contact was minimal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
since I only plow gravel driveways I made a new blade edge with a 5/8" round stock welded at the bottom so if it drags on the gravel it floats and doesnt dig as much

Attachments

·
Frame Swapped '88 322
1,257 Posts
Nice X748!!!

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Great looking tractor and enjoy it. slkpk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts