My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, it's basically a center ridge with a set of wheel indentations in the limestone. Last spring I did try to grade it down, and it definitely helped, but it's still present. I wish I had access to a backblade to truly dig it up and re-grade it, but maybe this spring with the extra bits I have now for the blade I'll be able to do a better job leveling it out. Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
YES!

I have the 54 blade and 47 blower. Both are great and I use them about equally. Blade works great for snows 6" and under. Blower is better for the larger snowfalls. Blade lets me build a huge snow pile for the kids.....
Blower does a prettier job.....

I've had several x series little deeres. The 739 is by far the best!!!!
If only they would offer the 1 series cab for our tractors, it would be perfect.

That said, a 1 series with cab would be the ultimate snow machine on a long driveway.....

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
YES!

I have the 54 blade and 47 blower. Both are great and I use them about equally. Blade works great for snows 6" and under. Blower is better for the larger snowfalls. Blade lets me build a huge snow pile for the kids.....
Blower does a prettier job.....

I've had several x series little deeres. The 739 is by far the best!!!!
If only they would offer the 1 series cab for our tractors, it would be perfect.

That said, a 1 series with cab would be the ultimate snow machine on a long driveway.....
Well this Cab John Deere X700 Signature Series - Tektite Manufacturing is Pretty close to a 1 series Mauser Made Cab I have One On My 2025R Because it Backhoe Compatible and some member over On GTT managed to get Tektite to Make a custome Cab for his signature series so the CTC Loader would work with it BTW you can get it In JD Green (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Have a somewhat steep 250' long asphalt driveway. Wondering if any of you guys have the need for both the thrower and blade? Thanks
It all depends on how much time you want to spend i guess.. i row the snow with my blade then blow it. Keeps the edges of my driveway cut back and less deep drifts during blowing snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Snow blower stinks for wet heavy show and that is where the blade comes in handy - I have an x500 with snow blower and 755 with bucket - the bucket has saved me so many times. But the blower throws the snow way out when it can making less piles closer up. So, for me, both are useful.

·
4 acres of fun!
136 Posts
Hello, Have a somewhat steep 250' long asphalt driveway. Wondering if any of you guys have the need for both the thrower and blade? Thanks
Drifts are why you would want a blower. I am in southern MN, on a hill, with a long winding gravel driveway. When we get a significant snow, followed by high winds, we can get insane drifts in certain sections of the driveway. My X724 with blower has managed to punch through all of these over the past 10 years. Due to the drift height being some times taller than me sitting on the tractor, it has required creative attacks to clear, but success every time in the end.

·
Nerd
4 Posts
I have a 3 point blower for my Bolens/Iseki and a dozer blade that I'll fit with a squeegee for snowplow duty. If there's less than a foot, I usually plow. More than that and I tend to snowblow. The plow can be pretty quick for little stuff. I try to plan so both don't need to be mounted at the same time as it is a pretty long setup like that, but not the end of the world.
I probably wouldn't need a blower except for the odd layout I've got being on the inside of a sharp curve in the road by my driveway that makes the plows mound the snow there pretty deep. My neighbors like that I have it too, and I usually like the seat time.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Snow blower stinks for wet heavy show and that is where the blade comes in handy - I have an x500 with snow blower and 755 with bucket - the bucket has saved me so many times. But the blower throws the snow way out when it can making less piles closer up. So, for me, both are useful.
I realize it's not an exact comparison to a tractor-mounted blower. But I did what's known as the "impeller mod" to my walk-behind Ariens blower, and it made a big improvement in its performance with wet, heavy snow. Especially when it's a small amount (like an inch or two).

You attach a thick rubber flap to the impeller blades, which closes up the gap between the tip of the impeller, and the round impeller housing. This makes the impeller "pump" more effective.

Especially with small amounts of wet snow, it throws further, and clogs less. I'm happy with the change. Also, using a faster ground speed can help keep the impeller sufficiently fed, especially with small, wet storms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am equipped this year only with a 54" blade - no blower. Yet. Probably not until spring when everyone decides to sell theirs. ;) But, I do now have weights & HDAPs, so I should have a much better time of it this Winter. I have a 450'+ long gravel driveway, and it's of course got a ridge down the center. Any recommendations so I'm not digging everything up? I've not had success playing with the float feature yet...
Just don't plow while on the ridge.. Move the snow off the ridge both directions and do not straddle the ridge. You will be fine.
As best you can, let the first snows freeze into the gravel and the blade won't remove much if any. In fact, when I did have a gravel drive (about 32 years) before asphalt, I liked the gravel as it would leave a dusting of the gravel on the surface that would both give traction and draw in some heat. Not as much heat as the asphalt will, but the traction advantage on ice packed snow was a plus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The need will be accomplished with the blade most of the time, but the blower for the times the blade runs out of space or faces deep snow that is hard to push.
For light snows up to 4-6", then the blade will be less equipment clean-up when finished as well as less snow on the operator when finished. A thrower will (or likely will) require more equipment clean-up of that snow build-up, when put in storage waiting for the next snow.
Find here in WI that those of us that have both, take the blade most of the time. The blower sits most of the times it snows.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For winter I run a 54" blower only as I don't own a blade.

Our paved driveway is 325 ft with an incline.

20200103_141842.jpg

FB_IMG_1602803275220.jpg

20200103_142010.jpg

When the thought of a blade has crossed my mind I begin to contemplate getting a powerbroom over a blade.

Mostly because of the versitality it poses over the blade.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a broom, but when the time comes that will be the next purchase.

A blade is a distant 3rd.

Reactions: Iawhitty92

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

View attachment 2480485

View attachment 2480486

View attachment 2480487

When the thought of a blade has crossed my mind I begin to contemplate getting a powerbroom over a blade.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a broom, but when the time comes that will be the next purchase.

View attachment 2480485

View attachment 2480486

View attachment 2480487
I have the power broom. It’s a nice unit under the right conditions. If it’s an inch or so it works awesome, a couple of inches and it tends to come over the broom and dump behind it.. I also use it if it’s frozen rain or slush.. it will clean the driveway very nicely.
0CA22278-2AEF-4C6D-8D8C-63041185072E.jpeg
BEA1C214-3EB8-45DA-BB6B-AB184854B713.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

View attachment 2480485

View attachment 2480486

View attachment 2480487

View attachment 2480485

View attachment 2480486

View attachment 2480487
Love that green control panel, wish my dealer would've offered it.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Going a bit slower helps with doing higher snow. But if it's more than about 2", I'll plow it, then run the brush over what's left...

·
Nerd
4 Posts
I realize it's not an exact comparison to a tractor-mounted blower. But I did what's known as the "impeller mod" to my walk-behind Ariens blower, and it made a big improvement in its performance with wet, heavy snow. Especially when it's a small amount (like an inch or two).

You attach a thick rubber flap to the impeller blades, which closes up the gap between the tip of the impeller, and the round impeller housing. This makes the impeller "pump" more effective.

Especially with small amounts of wet snow, it throws further, and clogs less. I'm happy with the change. Also, using a faster ground speed can help keep the impeller sufficiently fed, especially with small, wet storms.
I did this to my 3 point blower it definitely cuts down on clogging. That blower holds plenty of wet snow when it did clog.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Well here is My snow removal crew for this winter Next year the Cub should have a Bercomac Rotary Broom. Look How short the Cub Blade is In height (y)
DSC00217.JPG

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Nice looking place there Sergeant! I think you might be able to move a little snow with that group of machines! (y)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sergeant, I like you barn! Is there any condition when you would choose the Cub? It looks like a toy compared to the Deere’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 85 Posts