·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Gotcha, thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
250 feet 14' wide is a larger job than most residential driveways. That just gets you up to the large portion just outside the garage doors. Not to mention the walkways I have to hit. Its a daunting task after about the 3rd big storm. I love the place but Im not getting any younger yet. I think I'll take the advice on using the JD for Blowing snow and still use the quad for quick clean up on small storms. Then re evaluate how it went at seasons end.

I love the loader idea because I have some land clearing to do and the landscape company bid I was given is more than the "Little Bull Loader" Ive been looking at. Then Id have it for future use. However, snapping the front axle comments concerns me.

Great content and ideas here

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Nice. I can certainly understand that. I'd rather spend the money on a tool to help me do more things myself, vs spending that to hire someone for a 1-time job. Then after that you're stuck again.

But if you spent that on a loader, suddenly a whole range of possibilities open up for you. That sounds good to me!

Reactions: Iawhitty92

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
curious what everyone has to say about the "Little Bull" and if it will accomplish scraping a few inches down per pass getting the grade corrected. Or am I asking too much from the tractor/loader. Could possibly rent the correct tool as well. Total area is approx 1/2 acre. I have all the time in the world to complete it so if the loader can finish it a bit at a time I'm good with that. This also brings the blade back in to question as far as using it for a dozer.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Little Bull Loader
Just some suggestions

Make sure You Buy some Long zip strips I Like the Little Bull But the Hose Management is Bad.

I would also Invest In some angle Hydraulic fittings as well to Make connecting the Hydraulic Hoses easier

For Grading and scraping a CTC Loader Mighty be better set Up for that as the Little Bull is for Moving Loose Material Best front Bucket for Grading and scraping would Probably be a Johnny Bucket Sr ( which is all Hydraulic for the X700 series)

What works the Best is a Box scrape or a Land Plan for Grading and scraping Then You would Need to add a Limited Cat 1 3point

But if Going the Little Bull way I would suggest Investing In a tiller to Loosen the dirt then You Can use the Little Bull for moving that loose dirt
(y)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I hadn't seen that one yet. The geometry of the little Bull looks horrible. Expecting a loader that just clips on to the front end to put up with the amount of pushing force your tractor is capable of seems like a recipe for disaster to me. The CTC design looks much better to me, and well worth the extra cost. I think there is another aftermarket company that makes loaders for the X7 series, but I'm not sure if they offer an option for AWS. It's probably worth starting a new thread just for loader discussion specific to the X7 with AWS. I'm sure there are folks on here with experience to share. You won't catch their eye buried in a thread on blowers and plows.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
I hadn't seen that one yet. The geometry of the little Bull looks horrible. Expecting a loader that just clips on to the front end to put up with the amount of pushing force your tractor is capable of seems like a recipe for disaster to me. The CTC design looks much better to me, and well worth the extra cost. I think there is another aftermarket company that makes loaders for the X7 series, but I'm not sure if they offer an option for AWS. It's probably worth starting a new thread just for loader discussion specific to the X7 with AWS. I'm sure there are folks on here with experience to share. You won't catch their eye buried in a thread on blowers and plows.
Yes the CTC Loader Can be Installed On AWS Model .
There are Kit Loaders That would fit the X700 series such as PF engineering or CAD Plans No One else But CTC Is actually Producing a conventional Loader for the X700 signature series I Know a Fabricator that Make 45 Loader sub Frames that fit the Signature series based On JBible's design so if You Can find a 45 Loader you can use it On a X700 signature series (y)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have seen pictures of a Westendorf loader on a X7, but I think it was a X748. It was for sale on CL a while ago. I think it was their model TA-52. Their design looks good, but their site doesn't have enough specifics on JD model applications. I would talk to them before making a decision.

·
22,172 Posts
It's not. Not by a long shot.
You are bang on for some driveways. It all depends on the driveway configuration.

I do several driveways for seniors. One in particular has been taken over by another neighbour with a walk behind snowblower which is a much better tool for that particular driveway than a loader.

But a blower doesn't normally clean down to the asphalt all winter long when Mother Nature drops 10-13' of snow in the driveway. A loader does. A loader will also open the driveway enough to get the car or truck out in two passes at walking speed through 18" of fresh snow, and it has absolutely no problem maintaining that speed while punching through the windrow left by the street plow at the front of the driveway, traffic permitting.

My own driveway has a special circumstance for snow removal. There is 1200 sq-ft of vinyl coated roof that avalanches into 36' of my driveway when the temperature warms up. This can result in the total winter's accumulation of compressed snow being compacted after an 11' fall into the driveway. There is NO residential, either walk behind or tractor mounted, blower that will cut into that 3.5' deep pile of heavily compacted snow and ICE. I know because I tried with a 350 lb blower without the shoes that just rode up on the pile, but a loader will scoop it up and carry it away, one overfilled bucket at a time and pile it where it can melt in the spring without causing issues.

It may be that fuel costs are inconsequential for blowing the snow from your driveway, but I burn upwards of 50 gallons of fuel per season and fuel costs a bit more up here in the great white north. I also know where to point the chute, but ice chunks will bounce off of the hard packed snow and continue their merry way for another 60'. That was a one time event after the grader scraped the hard pack off of the road and the short chutes installed on residential blowers do not allow sufficient depression to clear the snow bank and still deposit the snow close behind. My driveway is 34' wide at that point, and snow can only be blown in one direction due to the neighbour's adjoining driveway. Just another of the several reasons why I use a loader instead of a blower.

Yes! There are times that I would prefer to use the blower, but we don't often get over 20" snowfalls at one time and I have no interest in switching out the loader in a snowstorm.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
I have seen pictures of a Westendorf loader on a X7, but I think it was a X748. It was for sale on CL a while ago. I think it was their model TA-52. Their design looks good, but their site doesn't have enough specifics on JD model applications. I would talk to them before making a decision.
Yes though It's Not Made specifically for the The X700 series I believe some adapting has to be done On the customers end. I looked at that a while ago But anything can be Modified to fit I like this for Garden Tractors Auto-Dump™ Packages | Westendorf Have also thought about there Brush crusher for a Grapple Brush Crusher | Westendorf see with the 45 Loader do to it's width I can Put the Deere Loader Implement carrier On it which would Give Me Use of Many Loader Mounted attachments Made for the 120R Loader (y)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess I vary from most of the guys on here. I think the blower is the most efficient tool there is for a residential driveway. You'll never run out of room to stack piles with one. If it were me, I'd buy ONLY the blower. Why throw more money away when you already have a blade on an ATV? Doesn't make sense to me. I also don't "collect" garden tractors, so I wouldn't have two or three machines setup for a single driveway. To each their own, but I don't need more than a single machine for my driveway.
Some people have multiple setups for other reasons (dedicated loader, mower, etc) and not just for their driveway. Having two ways to tackle a driveway is just a bonus 😎

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Liking the loader idea more and more. Maybe not this season being it’s the first winter with the x739 and a blower but it will definitely remain on my mind. Our specific neighborhood layout leaves no issue for throwing occasional ice chunks because they are all 3+ acre lots that are fully wooded. A chunk might get thrown directly at a house but there are hundreds of trees blocking its path. In the spring with these landscape projects weighing on me just leaves the question of which one am I going to choose. Lots of time for research and consideration.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice thread with lots of opinions/ideas.

OP, I have a 47" blower and a broom. I can switch between them in less than 10 minutes on a concrete floor in my garage. Built a dolly for the blower to roll it out of the way quickly.

I bought my X729 specifically to get a blower. I'm over 50 and live in SD. I'd rather be in TX, but others veto'd that idea. So I got a great snow removal machine. Early in the season I'll use the broom for the light snows, and sometimes use it later in the season to clean down to the concrete. But I'm considering selling it since I don't use it very often.

I also have a 45 loader but never use it for snow. I grew up on a farm in MN, and we pushed snow with a loader on a Farmall 300 until the 80s. Need lots of room to push that snow out of the way. Agree, they can dig into packed snow a garden tractor blower won't dig into. But I've never had that problem.
But a loader will be very helpful on your acreage.

I agree with one of your comments above - use the blower this year, and the blade on the ATV, then evaluate next spring.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
But a blower doesn't normally clean down to the asphalt all winter long when Mother Nature drops 10-13' of snow in the driveway.
Are you talking about 10 to 13 feet of annual lake-effect snow or was that a typo?

You bring up some very good points on the limitations of snow throwers. I have times where snow avalanches off roofs and know full well how hard it packs. There is a very short time window before it refreezes and I too have tried removing the shoes in a vain attempt. I've even resorted to using a roto-tiller. I've taken to pulling the snow down before it comes down on its own.

My wife has a hatred for snowbanks so I have to make the best of using the snow thrower, often in combination with the plow. She insists that I clear the driveway to the other side of both (shallow) ditches so I plow as wide as I can and then polish up the edges with the snow thrower.

·
22,172 Posts
Are you talking about 10 to 13 feet of annual lake-effect snow or was that a typo?

You bring up some very good points on the limitations of snow throwers. I have times where snow avalanches off roofs and know full well how hard it packs. There is a very short time window before it refreezes and I too have tried removing the shoes in a vain attempt. I've even resorted to using a roto-tiller. I've taken to pulling the snow down before it comes down on its own.

My wife has a hatred for snowbanks so I have to make the best of using the snow thrower, often in combination with the plow. She insists that I clear the driveway to the other side of both (shallow) ditches so I plow as wide as I can and then polish up the edges with the snow thrower.
Last winter 130+", two winters ago 163". Lake effect can be a real pain with as many as 16 snowfall events in the month of December ranging from 1" to 20". With a loader, you can get away with ignoring the 1" events and carve it down with down pressure on the next go around. With a snowblower, that isn't quite as wise. We get lots of "dustings" (less than an inch) through some winters that create hard pack that turns to slush come spring.

I have two snow dumps to eliminate snow banks. One is the front lawn where I push the street plow's efforts back about 10' so that I can place the mixed in sand in the ditch. My house is right at the start of a curve and the city bus route goes down my street. The second snow dump is behind my garage. Other than the cities efforts, it all goes out back and the pile is over 7' tall , 12' wide, and, in a really bad winter, all the way across the back of the 24' wide garage and halfway up the 46' length. When it gets that bad, and the snow conditions are right, I've been known to ramp up the pile and start adding to the height. The last couple of years, I've also created a third snow dump further back towards the house in the front yard in order to reduce time in the saddle.There are no snowbanks as such beside my driveway. A Corvette driver would have a clear view for traffic both ways when exiting my drive.

Reactions: LLigetfa

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll be ordering a CTC Loader for my x739, after the holidays.
Just in time for Spring.

Reactions: MISparty

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am equipped this year only with a 54" blade - no blower. Yet. Probably not until spring when everyone decides to sell theirs. ;) But, I do now have weights & HDAPs, so I should have a much better time of it this Winter. I have a 450'+ long gravel driveway, and it's of course got a ridge down the center. Any recommendations so I'm not digging everything up? I've not had success playing with the float feature yet...

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
I am equipped this year only with a 54" blade - no blower. Yet. Probably not until spring when everyone decides to sell theirs. ;) But, I do now have weights & HDAPs, so I should have a much better time of it this Winter. I have a 450'+ long gravel driveway, and it's of course got a ridge down the center. Any recommendations so I'm not digging everything up? I've not had success playing with the float feature yet...
If you have a ridge and slope for water removal you should be fine, if you just have a ridge because it isn't being used I backblade mine to get it as level for winter as I can.

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
I am equipped this year only with a 54" blade - no blower. I have a 450'+ long gravel driveway, and it's of course got a ridge down the center. Any recommendations so I'm not digging everything up? I've not had success playing with the float feature yet...
Not much help here except to say that the worst time is early in the snow season when the ground is still soft. It takes a very deft hand on the plow to keep from digging. I also put two wheels on the center ridge and two on the side of the drive. You want to maintain the ridge for drainage. Once the driveway freezes plowing gets a lot easier. The second worst time is when the driveway thaws in the spring.

Reactions: Zagar
41 - 60 of 85 Posts