My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Have a somewhat steep 250' long asphalt driveway. Wondering if any of you guys have the need for both the thrower and blade? Thanks

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hello, Have a somewhat steep 250' long asphalt driveway. Wondering if any of you guys have the need for both the thrower and blade? Thanks
The blade can be used for digging/grading. I did this tonight. I used the steel edge but for asphalt you should switch to plastic or rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
It depends on how much snow you get (both in total, and commonly get in a single snowfall) and how fast you want to do it.

A plow works well if it's not super deep snow, couple passes pushing it to the side and your done.

The snowblower is better when you get a big dump of snow. It also works well for getting rid of the windrow the plow makes, so you have room to plow again.

·
22,160 Posts
Throwers are winter tools. Blades work for all seasons.

A thrower can also be used as a blade of sorts, it should have a replaceable cutting edge. Just don't turn it on except to clear it occasionally.

·
Registered
118 Posts
With a tractor as capable as that one is, you'll find a use for every attachment there is, lol.
Then you'll find, you need another tractor, lol.

Then it just keeps going.

And welcome to MTF.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
579 Posts
The downside to the plow is if you get lots of snow over the season you can run out of room to put the snow. I have plowed over a foot with my 425 with no issue. Your X will be even better. The blower will put the snow wherever you want it(into the woods or on your neighbors lawn). The plow is quite a bit faster for small storms. I live in central Mass and we get a lot of slop. It snows overnight and turns to rain before the end. I like the plow for that mess. I also got extensions from eBay so the plow clears a bigger path, especially helpful when angled doing a long run like your driveway. The faster you go the better the plow works. You will plow your driveway at full speed.

If getting a blower consider a cab. These blowers move a lot of snow and if it is windy you will end up covered. I like the plow for that reason.

If you want a nice clean edge to the snow, the blower is sweet.

Make sure to get the angle cylinder for the quick hitch, manually angling plows is for guys with smaller tractors without two circuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Plow for slush, blower for all the other snow types. I haven't used my plow in the last three years, I might not even install it on the 445 this year. I have been using the 47" blower on the 1026R since 2013 and the plow on the 445 exclusively since that time. The cab on the 1026R is great, though I did blow snow with the 445 since 1995 without a cab and it is not that bad and if I had to reinstall the blower on the 445, I would not get an enclosure for it.

Reactions: Iawhitty92

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
Well I usually have 3 Tractors set Up for winter snow removal John Deere 2025R set Up with a 60inch Loader Mounted Blade, JD X748 set Up with a 47inch Blower, JD GX335 with a 48inch Blade For Years I Just Plowed with a JD X485 with OTC Cab and Had My Cub Cadet 106 set Up with a 36inch snow thrower for the occasional deep snow. Well that occasional deep snow. was becoming More common So when I Upgraded the X485 to a used X748 In 2014 I finally Bought a 47inch snow Blower and just used it Until I Moved In December 2016 to my new House Used the Blower for that winter On the X748 the following winter 2017 /2018 winter used the 47inch Blower On a 1025R The Last few snow falls of 2017/2018 I did occasionally switch between the 54inch Blade and 47inch Blower Took about 5 Minutes for change over drop the Blower side shaft, Pull Blower chute angle hoses Pull quick Hitch release Pins attach, Drop Blower attach Quick Hitch angle Hoses Pick Up Blade Left the Mid to front PTO shaft On . 2018/2019 winter Just didn't get enough snow to use the Blower except for 1 snow Fall. It was Blade snow Fall for most of the snows same with this Past winter 2019/2020 I think all I used the Blower for was spreading out the snow Plow Piles In certain areas along my driveway because I was getting 4 to 6inches of snow when it snowed instead of 8 to 14 Inch snow Falls I use to get In the past (y)

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
My set up is a lot like Sergeant's (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.) Different winter precipitation conditions will favor one set up over another. I have an X748 with 47" snow blower and OTC cab, an X585 with CTA 66" heavy duty plow blade and Femco cab, and a 318 with my Johnny Bucket Sr. on it to move snow from in front of the steps. If I had to pick one, it would be the snow blower. The ability to place the snow where ever I need to is worth the expense and complexity of the snow blower set up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice above. I live in MN and winters can be brutal. Couple winters back I ended up running out of places to push snow with the KingQuad. At the end of one storm my neighbor and I sat on our ATV's at the end of our driveways looking at each other wondering where else to put it. Kind of scary actually. 5-6 foot tall 250 ft long corridor down the driveway. I am keeping the ATV for small snows but got the hard side Curtis cab for the x739 and being inside the cab (even for plowing little dumps) is where id rather be at -5deg and windy. So Im still thinking about getting the JD plow

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is in your budget then both, but you really sound like you need a blower since you can blade with your ATV.
Ya I have the blower just thinking of ALSO getting the blade since Ill have a heated cab to sit in. Just comes down to budget like you said.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have no need for a Snow Blower in my region, we never get more than a foot/day. The Snow Plow Blade handles that much fine.
Aside from snow, I use my blade a lot for other (think Bull Dozer) tasks.
Just before Fall arrived, I cut this path over the hill. It was solid brush (note left and right sides of the path), branches and other debris.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Since you have the blower, it would be money well spent for the blade. Two different tools for different conditions. Like many here I have two machines, one with the blower and one with a blade so I can just grab whichever one is best for the job.

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
I don't think a cab is as important for plowing as the snow isn't blowing around as much.

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
Ya I have the blower just thinking of ALSO getting the blade since Ill have a heated cab to sit in. Just comes down to budget like you said.
Get the Blade But I suggest getting On of theses Blades Instead of OEM 60" Snow Plow for John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments if your only Plowing snow If You need to doze Earth go with the OEM 60inch blade and the angle Kit for You quick Hitch if You don't already Have it and Invest Is some quick release zip ties I have two Quick Hitches already I need to get a 3rd The quick Hitch I have one for the 2025R & it is only set Up for angle as it Mounted On the Artillian system On My 120R Loader But since I have a Tektite Cab On My 2025R I would Like to have a quick hitch standing by for using a Blower for it But I am Looking for a used quick Hitch with Just Lift On it (y)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Get the Blade But I suggest getting On of theses Blades Instead of OEM 60" Snow Plow for John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments if your only Plowing snow If You need to doze Earth go with the OEM 60inch blade and the angle Kit for You quick Hitch if You don't already Have it and Invest Is some quick release zip ties I have two Quick Hitches already I need to get a 3rd The quick Hitch I have one for the 2025R & it is only set Up for angle as it Mounted On the Artillian system On My 120R Loader But since I have a Tektite Cab On My 2025R I would Like to have a quick hitch standing by for using a Blower for it But I am Looking for a used quick Hitch with Just Lift On it (y)
YES to that blade!! Steve, post a pic of yours!! So jealous!

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
YES to that blade!! Steve, post a pic of yours!! So jealous!
Per request, here is my X585 with the aftermarket CTA blade. They ship all over and, not to disparage the Deere 54 and 60" quick hitch blades, but the CTA is noticeably more robust, and my 66" works great on my X585. The blade attaches just like the Deere blades do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Per request, here is my X585 with the aftermarket CTA blade. They ship all over and, not to disparage the Deere 54 and 60" quick hitch blades, but the CTA is noticeably more robust, and my 66" works great on my X585. The blade attaches just like the Deere blades do.

View attachment 2477944 View attachment 2477945
NICE!

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts

View attachment 2477944 View attachment 2477945
It is More robust Only downside to them is they can't be Locked out to use as a Dozer Blade But as In our cases we also Have Dozer Blades besides the CTA Blade I have a rubber squeegee On My 60inch a Guy In Colorado Makes them Out of Machine or Baler Belts(y)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts