My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few rotten boards on my wood deck trailer and was looking at how to replace them. Obviously the bolts I'll just undo but at each end of the trailer the boards ends are tucked under a 1-1/2 steel strap that runs across the trailer. The existing boards are 18 ft. (216 inches) long and the dimension between the steel straps is 213 inches. How do you get the boards under these straps? I can't imagine when Internation built it they dropped the planks in and welded the strap as there are no burn marks on the wood from welding. Does an 18 ft. board bow enough to get it in? Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
At 18' long they should be easily bowed to get them in. Even if they are 2" white oak.

I'm sure that's how they were installed.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
Once you have the bolts out you can either cut the old ones out are use a piece of 4x4 on a floor jack and bow them up and out.Do put something over the board of you bow them up and out.I used a truck bed mat.A couple rachet straps about a two foot from the ends will work.Just leave them a little loose and hooked in good.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
I agree with two possible methods:
1) bending in the wood. At 18' it should not be too difficult. I did it on a 12' and that is about as short as I would prefer going - there really was a lot of stress on the wood.
2) take the steel strap off on one end, put in the wood and weld in the strap again.

I would probably do the welding next time I have to do it - it is a lot faster. If the wood is wet or protected by a welding blanket you will not get any significant burn marks.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Seems to me only the last one should even require being bowed to get it in, the rest could be put in diagonally, and then slid into place. If you soak the last one in a creek for a couple days it should bow nicely and and return to form.

Take pictures and share

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
My 18' car hauler has 16' boards and 2' on the dove tail. When I replaced the boards I ground the welds off the rear strap. I replaced the boards with treated lumber. I also gave the boards two coats of Duck's Back. It is better than Thompson's. I bolted the boards down with galvanized 1/4" carriage bolts. I didn't put the strap back on. I had a car hang up on it once. Also my mini excavator didn't like the extra bump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts