My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, this is my first post in this forum. i have 2 mf10's, the shinier one is a 1967 according to the dating link in the stickies, the beater is a 1971.

the plan is to use the 67 for mowing, and the 71 for utility work/tilling.

both engines smoke, the one in the 67 is no longer operable. the carb is worn badly and i believe the head gasket is bad. the 71 looks original engine, the 67 has been shorblocked. the rest of the 67 seems to in very good condition (shifts nice, steers easy).

the 71 has very stiff steering, a bad axle seal and very bad transaxle bearing noise. the motor runs well enough that i am presently using it for mowing as well as utility work.

i have two decks for it, the better of the two is tucked away, the one in the picture is off the 71.

i am going to pull the motor out of the 67 today and plan to find out just how much of a rebore will be required, after that i guess i will be able to decide what to do about rebuilding the engine. (if i can get parts).

i also have a partial skeleton of a 68 mf12 hydro. i guess there are a few interchangeable parts on that, but not many.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

They sure look in good shape.

Well worth the effort to fix I'd think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, that was fairly painless. i notice there is a difference between the two engines in the way that the electric start is setup. i'm guessing the later one is a gear drive, while the earlier one is belt. was that the way these evolved?

also, the symptoms on the 67 that no longer runs are that it would start, run for a bit, then surge and die... start again, surge and die. it just got worse and worse until it basically didn't run at all. throttle shaft on carb is real bad. are there common symptoms of ignition failure, or does it just flat out quit?

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
:MTF_wel:
Nice looking tractors,
Can't help you with your engine problem but I am sure someone here will have some good advice for you
I know my MF 12 has a badly worn throttle shaft and all I do for it is leave the choke on ever so slightly and it works great, tried richening the jet to compensate but it doesn't like that. I will just run it like this until I have time to put the engine out of the MF10 in it.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I had an MF10 like your older one (starter/generater) for 29 yrs, finally gave up trying to wear it out and gave it to my oldest son. I had trouble with the plastic rod that actuated the points sticking and barely (or not at all) moving the points. The throttle shaft on mine was worn out too, put a small felt seal from a car carb kit on the throttle shaft to help seal it, worked fine. The wireing and ignition switch is different on those two tractors too. The generator/starter models grounded the points to turn off the motor, the geared starter models stopped the 12 volts to the coil to turn it off. I broke third gear in mine one time and pulled the transaxle apart and fixed it. But I got a shop manuel for the transaxle before I started. It's a Peerless/Tecumsch 4 spd transaxle and was used by several brands of GT's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does the 67 have a coil for ignition, or is the spark coming from beneath the flywheel? The newer machine looks to be solid state ignition, but as to the earlier one - my MF10 was originally 10 hp with points, but had a replacement engine (12 HP) with solid state ignition. The engine is a 120014B, installed in 1970. It's an MF replacement (listed in the AgCo parts list for the MF10), and still uses a starter generator, but while the block has a moulding for points, all the holes are closed off and the ignition comes from a small coil below the flywheel and a transformer and trigger system - one of the earlier solid state systems. If the 67 has an external coil sitting close to the governor linkage then it is not solid state, but if not, it could still be an SSI,

George

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
posted by Denm;
I know my MF 12 has a badly worn throttle shaft and all I do for it is leave the choke on ever so slightly and it works great
i tried that but eventually it got to the point where it made no difference.

posted by butchs_hobby;
It's a Peerless/Tecumsch 4 spd transaxle and was used by several brands of GT's
that's key info i need.:thanku:

posted by MFGray;
Does the 67 have a coil for ignition, or is the spark coming from beneath the flywheel?
with any luck i should be able to tie into it this weekend... things have been fairly hectic lately, and the 71 is still doing the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts