My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I live in the suburbs of South Atlanta in a town known as Locust Grove.

I have about 3/4acre of Bermuda Sod to cut. Extremely flat and I have topdressed numerous times to help achieve this flatness. I sometimes use a Reel Mower to cut when I am not being lazy.

I am the owner of a 3 year old JDLA135 with 67 hours. I know it is not the most popular or reliable JD, but it is probably overkill for what I do with it. I only use it for mowing or driving to a neighbors house. I do not haul, plow, or snow remove in it.

After reading some threads on here, I am nervous to even use my mower for fear that it will break even though I have had zero trouble.lol

The reason I am here is to learn about taking care of my tractor. I only know the basics such as changing the oil and all the filters. I would like to learn how to grease, level deck, learn what spindles, bushings, and places that I need to grease.

Thank you for letting me join

Here is a pic of my yard and grass.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
Nice yard and don't be afraid to mow with it!
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Now the fear thing has swung way too far the other way!!!!!!!! (You might want to hone in on the no problem so far)

Use your John Deere !! and if something breaks ( doubtful) you fix it like the rest of us.

I forget where the JD maintenance video link is but it will come up soon.

Beautiful place !!

:MTF_wel::greendr::Tractor2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
:MTF_wel:
Welcome!
That yard looks so smooooth! Must be nice to ride on:greendr:

With that yard and what you use your tractor for, don't worry! It will be a 20 year machine for you.

I think a lot of people on this forum use their JD's hard (and that is OK if you have the machine for it). After all, they are here! The problem is when someone new comes in with a problem and it turns out to be a lawn tractor that was being used as a garden tractor. That seems to happen a lot as people learn. What you are doing...requires a LAWN tractor:trink40:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Greasing: (all of this is in the OM too)

- get a pistol-grip grease gun with a rubber flex hose. One of those mini-one's is OK.

- there are six grease zerk locations:
-two on the front axle. These grease each steering spindle. Add grease until fresh, clean grease oozes out and wipe up the extra.
- two for the wheel bushings. One per steering spindle. Grease until clean, fresh grease oozes out. Wipe up the extra.
- two on the mower deck spindles (one per). The RH one is easy to find. Put the hose on and add pumps until you feel resistance. Stop there. The LH one is under the black shield. There is a raised section of the sheild that lets you access the zerk.

There should be instructions in the manual about leveling the deck too. Before starting that, buying the JD leveling gauge makes it much easier.

Enjoy your LA135. It's an excellent tractor!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Wow that is a beautiful yard, your tractor will last for yrs mowing your place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Will. The biggest issue with lawn tractors such as ours is the light duty transmission. I believe that the LA135 has the T-40, which is basically a K-46. The popular opinion is that over time, when used on hilly terrain, or pulling large amounts of weights, this transmission will begin to wear down. Based on your picture, you should expect many years of good service out of your JD. Use it and enjoy it. Most here use their tractors for a bit more, so they require more tractor and a stronger transaxle. Your tractor should last a long time, based upon how you are using it.
I'm curious as to how well your JD cuts the Bermuda? It looks great! What height do you cut at?

·
Registered
310 Posts
As said above, don't worry. You are using you 135 will within it's design. You have a beautiful lawn. Have you been getting much rain this summer. It has been just adequate here in Bama.

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Wish my yard looked that good! Yep no sense in getting a larger tractor for what you want to do! And mowing with the reel mower is both good exercise and you can't beat the cut of one that is properly maintained!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the kind words, instructions, and links. I am excited to be here.

I have an excellent mechanic about 1 minute from me at the Golf Course Maintenance Shop that I live on. However, I really would like to learn this stuff myself.

In the pics shown, it is set at 2. I haven't adjusted the deck or anything and this is how I got it from the factory. Since we have had almost no rain and extremely hot temps, I have raised it to 2.5

I would rate the cut on this mower at 7/10. I really need to tweak to get it where I would like it because it is slightly uneven. It is not a bad cut though, but I have demo a few nice machines that provided a better cut.

The reel mower I use is a McLane. It is a pretty crappy and cheap machine, but gets the job done. I use it about once a month. My main mower is the JD since I try and cut every 4-5 days right now.

Right now I am experimenting with Organic Fertilizer like Chicken Poop, Compost, Mushroom Compost, Compost Tea, Molasses

The best fertilizer I have used is plain old Scotts Southern Turf Builder

1 - 12 of 12 Posts