My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally built a welding cart for my MAC 100 amp, 220 volt MIG, gas only, that is 20"w x 24"l x 24"h with a top and middle shelf. I mistakenly mounted the middle shelf halfway between the ground and top shelf, rendering it useless for anything except rods and tools. Recently, I acquired some new welding equipment based on the new inverter technology.The old MAC MIG literally fills the top shelf being 17"w x 22"l x 18" h and weighs about 60 lbs. This has served me well for over 25 years, but recent pricing changes by the local supply houses forced some changes. I added a Klutch 90 amp 120 volt DC arc welder with inverter technology. It weighs 15 lb and is 8"w x 13"l x 10"h and can be taken anywhere to work. At 90 amps, it is pretty much restricted to 3/32 rods, and is still a little lacking for the 7018 rods. The next addition was a 120/220 volt plasma cutter which I wired as a single 220 volt to get the 50 amp output. 120 volt will only get 30 amp output. It comes in at 20 lbs and is 8"w x 14"l x 10"h. I got this over xmas on an ebay auction for 30% of the retail price at Harbor Freight. The latest and greatest arrived today. It is new 3 in 1 welder. It is 200 amp MIG, gas or flux core with the polarity change on front panel and voltage output adjustable from 16 to 23 volts, 200 amp TIG with Argon gas, and 250 amp DC stick. It comes in at 30 lbs and is 8"w x 16"l x 14"h. The old MAC MiG has a duty cycle at 20% and will handle up to 35 lb wire spools. The Klutch and plasma cutter have 60% duty cycles at 100% load. The new 3 in 1 has 100% duty cycle at full load for all outputs and will handle 11 lb wire spools. It was also bought at an ebay auction for 20% of retail value for similar units at Harbor Freight. I am truly amazed at the power / size output and duty cycles of these inverter machines. I lowered the middle shelf on the welder cart to the lower frame and added a 10"w x 20"l side shelf. The top now has the old MAC MIG and the new 3 in 1 on the side shelf, with the Klutch and plasma cutter on the bottom shelf with plenty of room for rod storage, extra 11 lb spools of solid and flux core MIG wire, various welding clamps, a 4-1/2" angle grinder, and 2 instant on hoods. I made a 6ga 50 ft power supply extension with both 50 amp and 30 amp welder receptacles. All finished and ready to go to work. My youngest daughter has my Miller 225 amp AC welder with 300 ft hot lead and 200 ft ground lead. It is 80 lbs and hard to move even with the caster cart I made for it, and the 120 amp 120 volt gas only MIG that comes in at 50 lbs.

The reason for the upgrade is solely from the new pricing from both welding supply houses in the area. I have a lifetime lease on middle size oxy-acetyline bottles. They now want right at $200 to fill the gas bottles plus a $25 HAZMAT fee for each bottle. $250 for a refill of these small cutting outfit bottles is rediculous. Thus the plasma cutter. Air plus electric and gives a much cleaner cut on any metal. They also want $30 to fill a 20 lb MIG Ar/CO2 bottle plus the $25 HAZMAT fee, and $40 for straight Ar 20 lb bottle plus the $25 HAZMAT fee. Thus now have a flux core MIG and will not do TIG. These guys only want big industrial customers and are running the little guys off by their pricing. My old construction company was only paying 15% per lb of gas for the big bottles compared to what I pay. Have to go other routes to meet needs. I will post photos of new welding cart in day light if it ever stops stops raining here.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts