My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

We have an old metal swing set that came with the house, and doesn't get used now that we have a wooden set.

Before we scrap it, I was wondering if any of you have done something more creative with the available metal? Fab up something for a tractor, etc?

Mike

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
The typical swing set has metal tubes for legs, and if not too rusty, can be used for all sorts of projects. Keep in mind that a swing set was designed to see loads of maybe 200 to 300 pounds total spread out over the set. So you won't have much in the way of heavy duty anything, but I would certainly add the material to "inventory", especially if you can totally disassemble it. I would guess the nuts & bolts are pretty much rusty scrap.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,728 Posts
I've made a few exhaust pipes for my pickups out of the tubing before!...my friend took one look at the "stripes" on my pipes and rolled his eyes and said "tell me you DIDN"T make them out of a swinset"...so I didn't!...:D...I had to braze all the bolt holes shut in the tubing...it lasted a LONG time,a lot longer than I thought too...

You might be able to make a light duty gantry crane out of one if the pipes are in good shape,it would be useful to hoist a tractor or engine up ,as long as you dont try overloading it too much..
t!...

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
If your a deer hunter, they are great to hang deer from.

One thing I remember from my childhood, no swingset during deer season. There was usually a deer or two hanging from ours.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
If your a deer hunter, they are great to hang deer from.

One thing I remember from my childhood, no swingset during deer season. There was usually a deer or two hanging from ours.
Ken I keep seeing the Yuengling in your avatar... I wish we had it in Mass, last tie I bought some it was in New Jersey and I bootlegged it to Mass, and had one bottle a week for 6 weeks. I know it's not like the hardest beer in the world to get or the best beer in the world, but I like it and we don't have it here :(

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
narrow them up a little and they make great chain hoist mounts. a friend of mine in highschool had one that we narrowed to just wider than a car/truck. it could handle hoisting his 350 out of his Z28 just fine, and as a matter of a fact it did often since we were always working on that dang car! i dunno how the newer ones compare, the one he had was made in the 70's or 80's so it may have been a thicker guage than modern swing sets.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
Somewhere in the mid 70's, my dad built a land sailer out of our old swing set. It was alot of fun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Toss a good quality tarp over it and make a temp. shed for storage.
You could get 2 or 3 tractors under there.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Ken I keep seeing the Yuengling in your avatar... I wish we had it in Mass, last tie I bought some it was in New Jersey and I bootlegged it to Mass, and had one bottle a week for 6 weeks. I know it's not like the hardest beer in the world to get or the best beer in the world, but I like it and we don't have it here :(
Agreed! There is even a group on Facebook dedicated to bringing Yuengling to New England.

I had a business trip to NY a number of years ago and did the same thing:

A friend of my wife's makes semi-regular trips to Indiana to pick up unfinished furniture and he will bring me back some Yuengling as well as Fat Tire if we ask him to.

I like the tractor shed idea and will probably do the same. A second swingset would be even better.

·
Premium Member
9,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ideas. I'd say it's around 10 years old, so probably not going to use it as a cherry picker / engine lift any time soon...

I do like the idea of using it as a "shed," but my neighbors probably wouldn't. :lalala:

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts