My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new user in Arkansas - I was hoping to post a message because my John Deere LA125 mower just died on me in the field. And I am not sure what to check. The engine got bogged down in some grass, then died. Then when I turned the key it would not start. Just a "click" somewhere in the engine when I turned the key. I hooked it up to the battery charger thinking that might be the problem, but the battery appears to be charged. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Might sound very simplistic, but have you turned the blade switch off? Just a thought.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about the blade switch because the machine died with the blade engaged, then I disengaged the blade and it wouldn't turn over.

There's plenty of fuel. I put a meter to the battery and it's 12.6vdc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fiddled around with it some more... there was some "clicking" when I hit the key - which indicated to me a battery amperage problem. So I pulled the battery off and read it again with the meter and it said 10v.. the battery charger wouldn't charge it but all the cells had liquid in them at reasonable levels... I guess I should assume the battery is toast?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
The question is why the battery is dead?

Because of is age or because the alternator don't charge it anymore?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The date on the battery is 2006. Is it about time it was replaced? I don't know if the stock batteries are not designed to last long? I only recently put a trickle charger on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts