My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Cub Cadet, 2166, 42 inch cut that is giving me fits. I have followed the manual to the letter. Made the measurements of the blades front and rear, checked air pressure in the tires, replaced all belts and replaced the blades. The machine is ruining my lawn by continuing to cut un-evenly, especially in turns and on slight inclindes. One side always cuts lower than the other on hills and in turns. Is this a problem that cannot be fixed? I've tried all that I know and I am about ready to set fire to or blow up my Cub Cadet. Purhcased new, no obvious damage, engine runs great, nothing appears bent or distorted in any way. The stupid thing just won't cut evenly. Can anyone help me figure this out? Again, I have followed the repair manual to the letter, nothing works!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Sounds like the deck isn't hung on the hangers right. Maybe a hanger bracket upside down or on the wrong side.:trink39:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your taking the time to respond. The deck is hung correctly. I checked that several times. It is as per the parts manual and the owner's manual.

I am wishing I had never purchased the darn thing!

You can't fixed stupid, but you can sure vote them out!

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Dan, either you're not hung well, ehem, or you may have a blade(or two) mounted upside down

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not hung well? I beg to differ. The blades are installed correctly . You'd have to be a complete idiot not to check something like that! And too, the trolly is hung correctly and measured to specifications. Thanks for offering your 2 cents, but none of this advice is usefull.

I will sell this Cub at the first opportunity and buy a mower that will cut the way it is designed to cut! No more Cub Cadet products for this guy!

No more suggestions, please. I'm off the program!!!!:lalala:

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Hi Dan,

You said in your post 1, that it was purchased new. How long ago, and won't the dealer provide any help ??

Have you checked to see if there might be a bent steering spindle ? If bent, it could be compensated for in your setup but when turned it may dip to one side or the other ????

How about the differential being fastened tight to the chassis. If loose this could let the tractor dive in a corner as well ???

Crack in frame ???

Just a few quick thoughts !!

·
Banned
2 Posts
Not hung well? I beg to differ. The blades are installed correctly . You'd have to be a complete idiot not to check something like that! And too, the trolly is hung correctly and measured to specifications. Thanks for offering your 2 cents, but none of this advice is usefull.

I will sell this Cub at the first opportunity and buy a mower that will cut the way it is designed to cut! No more Cub Cadet products for this guy!

No more suggestions, please. I'm off the program!!!!:lalala:

he was trying to help you out you need a sense of humor around here as we all make wise cracks from time to time ..Check your deck wheel settings ..Not saying it s the prob ..but it might be

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Rough Rider,

I realize they were trying to help me out, but all the suggestions given had already been looked at, measured and checked.

As for a sense of humor...I can take it with the best of them. I'm just frustrated with this darn lawn mower. Neither I or my local Cub Cadet dealer can figure out why this machine is not cutting properly. If the repairshop can't figure it out, the flaw must be a routine malfunction of the type that cannot be corrected. The mower is 4 years old and has never cut properly.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hello Rough Rider,

I realize they were trying to help me out, but all the suggestions given had already been looked at, measured and checked.

As for a sense of humor...I can take it with the best of them. I'm just frustrated with this darn lawn mower. Neither I or my local Cub Cadet dealer can figure out why this machine is not cutting properly. If the repairshop can't figure it out, the flaw must be a routine malfunction of the type that cannot be corrected. The mower is 4 years old and has never cut properly.

what type of blades do you have on it ..I had a 93 LTS125 cub and it didnt cut worth crap ..I put a set of up turn blades on it work great after that ...As for my comment earlyer you will find most of us like to help out and offer what we have found . and make little wise cracks while doing so .Sometimes we get stumped also ..I know that we all get PO at are mowers ...good luck with the cub ..the worst thing cub ever did was sell out to MTD ..not saying all MTDs are bad but they are not built like they used to be

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up Turn blades? I am not sure what type of blade that is.

The mower came with stock blades. They have been removed, placed on a flat surface (no warpage). I purchased a set of aligator blades and they do the job, but still the right side cuts lower than the left, especially noticable in turns to the left and to the right.

Someone mentioned the trolly might not be hung correctly. It is hung per the parts manual and the arms are not bent or distorted in any way visible to the human eye. The front roller adjustment was set. The left rear trolly support was checked for correct measurements and all four wheels are set in their appropriate hole mounts.

I initially thought the right spindle is lower than the other, causing the different cutting level, but both myself and the Cub Cadet shop mechanic measured the blade distance from the ground. The instructions require measuring with both pointed forward, measure from the tip of the blade to the ground (flat hard surface). The rear tip of the blades should measure 1/4 inch higher...which they are. So, that rules out any spindel problem. Measuring the blades pointed side to side and the measurement is exactly the same. I've checked all that I can and the mower still isn't right. I think it is time to sell the cub cadet and move on to a different type mower. Normally, I can eventually find almost any problem if a machine is acting up, not this one. I've gone through the book, page by page and still have the same problem. I give up!

·
Banned
2 Posts
Up Turn blades? I am not sure what type of blade that is.

The mower came with stock blades. They have been removed, placed on a flat surface (no warpage). I purchased a set of aligator blades and they do the job, but still the right side cuts lower than the left, especially noticable in turns to the left and to the right.

Someone mentioned the trolly might not be hung correctly. It is hung per the parts manual and the arms are not bent or distorted in any way visible to the human eye. The front roller adjustment was set. The left rear trolly support was checked for correct measurements and all four wheels are set in their appropriate hole mounts.

I am beginning to think one of the spindles is lower than the other, causing the different cutting level, but both me and the shop measured the blade distance from the ground. The instructions call for the blades to both be pointed forward, measure from the tip to the ground. The rear tip of the blades should measure 1/4 inch higher...which they are. That rules out any spindel problem. Measuring the blades pointed side to side and the measurement is exactly the same. I've checked all that I can and the mower still isn't right. I think it is time to sell the cub cadet and move on to a different type mower. I give up!

if you changed blades then you can rule that out ...Thats strange ...I wonder if theirs a spacer or a shim missing on the right have you checked the air pressure in your tires ..I know it sounds stupid but i have seen this cause the same prob .because if it all checks out it should cut right ..I am having a hard time understanding this one myself

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dan, I have an older Cub Cadet (126) which has its original rear tires (my dad bought it new) that does not sit level unless there is a 2 psi difference in pressure. The tires are not the same height at the same pressure. Set the tractor on a flat level floor and measure to verify that the tractor is level side to side. Because the frt axle pivots,side to side level of the tractor is determined by the rear axle and tires and possibly a bent frame or maybe differential shifted in the frame,that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was thinking some kind of spacer/washer problem too.

Dan what you have to do is park on a hard flat surface. With the blade running east/west to the mower measure the bottom of the outside blade to the pavement. Do that on both sides and see what you come up with.

Then get back to us.

I'm guessing the tires aren't the problem if the tractors been to the dealer of this but all the usual suspects seem to be played out.

Can an arbor be bent, operate without vibration and still pass an inspection? I dunno:lalala:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're mentioning a spacer gave me an idea. I will try adding a spacer to the left blade to see if that might help.

By the way, both blades have a spacer/washer and both have been and are on the "nut" side of the blade. Neither had a spader between the blade and the spindel shaft. This idea just might work. I will give you my results later today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Savageactor 7:

Thanks for your empathy. It is driving me nuts too! I'm just about ready to build a great big bond-fire around this Cub Cadet 2166!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roughrider,

I can't quite make out the picture listed by your posting. Is that a street rod of some sort? I've wanted one of my own for many years and came very close to buying a 1934 Ford Tudor, 350CI, auto, air, powered everything, black in color with gray leather interior, CD, cruise control, the works. The wife talked me out of it. The asking price was $42K. We bought a boat instead! I still dream about that machine!

·
Banned
2 Posts
Roughrider,

I can't quite make out the picture listed by your posting. Is that a street rod of some sort? I've wanted one of my own for many years and came very close to buying a 1934 Ford Tudor, 350CI, auto, air, powered everything, black in color with gray leather interior, CD, cruise control, the works. The wife talked me out of it. The asking price was $42K. We bought a boat instead! I still dream about that machine!

its a 76 Vega Pro street race car i am building..I have a thread on here about it in the hobby section

1 - 20 of 27 Posts