My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this very nice 65 DB Suburban 8 from HughSS16. It's in super condition for 48 years old. Looks like it's been kept inside. Having a blast fixing it over and getting it ready for it's next working life.

First thing was to clean the carb. These old Walbros don't have welch plugs but small brass plugs where they gained access to drill the passages. Had some trouble getting it clean but it's clean now and motor runs very well. It's an LME 9 with a date code of Dec. 1964. Please excuse the match stick as I hadn't yet made a new brass plug for it.

You can recondition the main needle if you're careful with a file and a drill. The new needles don't work with the old bowl nut and I'd like to keep as much of it original as I can. These old needles have a seal that the new ones don't have.

Next was to replace the points plunger. You can't buy these anymore so a mechanic had made one from brass but it was a little loose in it's bore allowing oil to leak out past. Originals were made from micarta. I happened to have a lot of micarta so I made one for it. No more oil leaking.

New belts next.

Replace the belt guard

Next to add a 3 point. Luckily Hugh had the bottom half already on the tractor. I had a spare top but no bottom.

Pic didn't come out very good but it has a "Sears Service" spark plug with the Sears STD number. I thought that was pretty cool. Have to save it.

Really becoming a fan of the HH80. Very nice motors. Has a ton of power for it's size.

Many Thanks to Hugh for sending it my way. I promise to take good care of it! Plan to put the mower deck back on if I can recondition it a little first.
One more thing. If anyone knows where I can get a Hood, grille and dash for it I'd love to hear from you!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
She sure looks good! I take it the new belts did the trick?

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch lever spring was missing so I made one. Surprisingly easy too. 1/8" wire. Can't believe I worried so long about a solution and it turned out to be so simple. Looks just like the original. High carbon steel might be better but this low carbon feels like it will work just fine. Now to make one more for another tractor. Same spring was used on all the DB Suburbans.

If any of you need to make one I started with 12", marked it at 3, 6, and 9. Bend the ends first, the middle last.

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
How close are you to Rayf?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Great Looking 65 DB!!! I like it a lot. :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carb Nozzle

Thanks Slow Crawler!

I took a couple pics to show how you can groove your old carb nozzle if you have access to a lathe. This is the original Walbro nozzle and as many of you know, once it's removed it can't be properly reinstalled as the tiny low speed hole will never line up. You can buy service replacements from carb rescue for about 20$ but this worked for me and took about 2 minutes. I gotta get a better camera

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts