My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I haven't been on this forum for a while. I had to sell my garden tractor a few years ago to pay bills and just dropped out from here.

I bought an Allis Chalmers tractor yesterday. It's been re-powered and repainted. Orange paint with no markings,no tag on the tractor. The sticker numbers on the Kohler engine are worn off but K341 is stamped in the front of the block. It is hydrostatic drive. After looking at info on tractordata.com, I think it's a 718. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

I would like to give it a complete service before using it much. Can anyone tell me where to find the right oil types and capacities for all the boxes?

Also, what kind of implements can this use and how do they mount?

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
I agree looks like a 718, nice heavy duty GT to be your work platform. Congrats on the machine and returning to MTF, glad to have you back here posting.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,186 Posts
Reactions: freedhardwoods

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. As I said in my first post, it has been repowered. The guy I got it from couldn't remember all the details. but it's been owned by his family since new. He thought it said 918 before his uncle painted it,but I couldn't find a model like that.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have a 917 -H ----with 18 horse re-power. --- I would say your's is a 716, missing the lift handle.

Not sure what youi can put on yours, but on 917 there is a sleeve hitch that goes on there and from there you can adapt a lot of attachments to fit. Mine came with a front blade, snowblower, 48" mower deck, the sleeve hitch, wheel weights, brinley plow, brinley cultivator.
me plowing a couple years ago. This in one mean garden tractor.

I have a video of this same job,----- cant figure out how to post videos on here! lol!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice tractor. It' a beastie with lots of available used parts on ebay. You can use lots of implements with that. It looks like someone may have installed an electric lift cylinder, judging from the missing lift handle and wire "pointer". The lift kit included a metal strap pointer to replace the handle. Look underneath the tunnel for the actuator like shown in this pic. You would also need to get the rear lift that mounts on the existing hitch for tillers, plows, and other tow-behinds. I have adapted a tine dethatcher, aerator, counterweights and earthcavator to use that lift hitch.

Reactions: freedhardwoods

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
I have a 917 -H ----with 18 horse re-power. --- I would say your's is a 716, missing the lift handle.

Not sure what youi can put on yours, but on 917 there is a sleeve hitch that goes on there and from there you can adapt a lot of attachments to fit. Mine came with a front blade, snowblower, 48" mower deck, the sleeve hitch, wheel weights, brinley plow, brinley cultivator.
me plowing a couple years ago. This in one mean garden tractor.
View attachment 2473457

I have a video of this same job,----- cant figure out how to post videos on here! lol!
Sonny, you have to post to a web video service like YouTube, Tinypics, etc.. Then you can copy and past the web address in a post here.

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
I have the video on you-tube, on my channel !
Sonny go to the video on YouTube you want to put in the forum and copy the area I circled (it will be different on yours) and copy it in a post, that should insert the video link.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice tractor. It' a beastie with lots of available used parts on ebay. You can use lots of implements with that. It looks like someone may have installed an electric lift cylinder, judging from the missing lift handle and wire "pointer". The lift kit included a metal strap pointer to replace the handle. Look underneath the tunnel for the actuator like shown in this pic. You would also need to get the rear lift that mounts on the existing hitch for tillers, plows, and other tow-behinds. I have adapted a tine dethatcher, aerator, counterweights and earthcavator to use that lift hitch.
The "pointer" you see in the pic is just a zip tie keeping things from flopping around. It just happened to be in that position when I took the pic. I'll look into one of those lift kits though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The "pointer" you see in the pic is just a zip tie keeping things from flopping around. It just happened to be in that position when I took the pic. I'll look into one of those lift kits though.
You can use the manual lift for front mounted implements like a snowblower or blade if you replace the missing handle. You need the lift for a mower, too. Handles are listed for cheap on Ebay all the time. The OEM rockshaft is still underneath and you can also add the rear lift arm without getting an electric kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try this-----I am kinda proud of this tractor! LOL!! wife took the video.
What size and brand plow is that?
You can use the manual lift for front mounted implements like a snowblower or blade if you replace the missing handle. You need the lift for a mower, too. Handles are listed for cheap on Ebay all the time. The OEM rockshaft is still underneath and you can also add the rear lift arm without getting an electric kit.

View attachment 2473590
I'll probably try to go the manual route for now to save money.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The plow is a 10" Brinley sleeve hitch is a hydraulic lift jobber. --- The 917's are hydraulic lift like the sunstars.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My old man had an Allis Chalmers 710 when I was a kid, and it looked exactly like the one in the first picture. I'm guessing the only difference is the 10 HP motor, and the chassis is the same?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
chassis would be same ----- they are the small frame models.. 900 series is large frame models. the series,---700 comes in diff. hp 710=10hp , 712=12hp, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts