My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Rural King tractors for a few months and after some research I discovered they are made by TYM. I ran across a deal on a new TYM and decided the differences between the RK 37 and the TYM 394 wasn't that bit of a deal. The biggest difference is the RK tractor has a better seat… this may not be a big deal but the TYM tractor has a seat that sits about 7 inches lower than the RK. Now that I used my tractor for a few hours I’ve come to the conclusion that this is a major issue for me. The low seat bunches my legs up so I have trouble pressing the brake to start the machine. TYM should not sell tractor with this seat period dot. Now for the other issue…
I got the TYM T394 Hydrostatic tractor with Backhoe attachment at Ocala Tractor in Florida. I am from North Florida and this was quite a drive for a tractor but they had the best price. I got the tractor home and was using it when I noticed the machine had low power to the wheels. I would get stuck when the tractor would come up against a small log or a stump. My old tractor was a Kubota L3301 and would handle these obstacles with no issues. After further examination I noticed I was only getting 2 gear ranges not 3 (low, medium and High). The tractor gear selector was pushed all the way forward for low gear but drove like it was in medium gear. I messed around with it for a while and could only get two gears to engage. The gear selector is attached to linkage arms and switches two items on the tractor. I’m guessing this is just out of adjustment… does anyone have any input? I want to take the tractor back to the dealer and just get a new tractor. I originally wanted the bigger tractor anyways but this deal seemed too good to pass up I think I will like the tractor once I get the gear adjustment fixed and a new seat or suspension for the seat.

More to come once I figure out what the dealer will do. I may have to take it to another dealer closer to my house but the closest dealer is still 90 miles away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update... the linkage for the shifter was the wrong one for my tractor... or that is what I was told. It has been repaired and working fine. But I have other issues. I will lvl post again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other issues with this tractor... When I got this I noticed the backhoe control valve was wet and didn’t think anything of it because no oil was leaking on the floor of my garage. I assume this was from putting it together. After about 10 hours of use on the hoe it started to leak on my garage floor. Also I noticed when I turned the steering wheel hard to one side I had a grinding sound from the front axles. The tractor has about 40 hours on it and I am doing Hurricane cleaning on my property from hurricane Michael... so I’m quite busy. I drove thru a rut and the tractor almost got stuck. When this happened the fan Made contact with the fan shroud. I about dropped dead on the spot.

I took the tractor to Southern Tractor in AL to get repaired. I did not buy the tractor from Southern Tractor but they’re closer to my house. When I got there I spoke to one of the guys that does the repairs and he knew right away what the issue was for the grinding and fan blade.

The bolts for the loader came loose at the front of the loader causing the wheel to hit the loader frame and tractor frame to be able to twist and causing the fan issues as well. More to come on the hoe hydro leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest update ...

I purchased a new TYM tractor from Ocala Tractor 1 March 2019

Tractor Problem history T394

1. Was only getting Med and high gear right from the day I got the tractor
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL and they said they put another linkage on the tractor
2. Tractor fan shroud hits the fan and the tires hit the loader frame just days after purchase
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL they said the loader frame was loose
3. Same as above but less than before… Tractor fan shroud hits the fan and the tires hit the loader frame
a. This is still an issue but the problem is 2x worse when the backhoe is attached
4. Hydraulics leak down relatively quick when the engine is off… even with the back hoe off
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL they said they replaced a leaking valve but this is still an issue
5. Back hoe leaked hyd. fluid from control valve from day one.
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… they found a cracked control valve and it was replaced.
6. Third function valve quit working after I put standard bucket on to wash the bucket off with a hose. I then changed back to grapple the same day and the valve didn’t work
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… they replaced something with the 3rd function
7. Auto throttle button quit working
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… not quite sure what they did to fix it but when I got the tractor back the tractor wouldn’t go into low gear again
8. When I got the tractor I was missing a few items that got sent to me but the draw bar didn’t fir correctly and looked used.
a. I had to modify the draw bar so it can be used with the back hoe attachment frame.
i. Still an issue
b. Missing top link from the 3 point hitch.
i. Was replaced by Ocala Tractor
9. The tractor is not going into low gear again… NOTE: the leaver hits the metal cutout beside the seat and always did.
a. Repaired at Ocala Tractor
10. 27 Sep 2019… A week to the day after getting the tractor back from Ocala Tractor the Auto throttle button quit working for the second time.add an error on dash F pedal check .
a. Called Ocala tractor and they are working with TYM
b. Still an issue

I have owned the tractor now for 6 month and it has been in my position only of those six months. The rest has been in various TYM approved repair facilities. The most recent event required me to take the tractor to the place of purchase (Ocala Tractor) they had it for about 2 months. When I got it back it ran properly for a week.

My time is valuable and I have not mentioned or asked for compensation but I can’t keep being the nice guy. The Ocala dealership is 10 hours round and the Southern Tractor dealership is 4 away round trip…I have accumulated quite a few miles on my brand new truck that has mostly been used to haul this broken tractor back and forth for repair. I retired from the Air Force and I have always stood up for what is right... and this is not right.

I am an experienced tractor owner. I owned a Kubota L3301 before this and have rented and used many other pieces of equipment.

When I was on the phone with Ocala tractor they told me TYM wasn’t showing any record of my tractor being in for repair at any other facilities. Either someone is trying to cover up the history or someone has made a mistake. I don’t know of a dealer that would repair a tractor 5 times and not get paid… Especially when I didn’t purchase it from them. One of the parts they replaced was a backhoe hydraulic valve… not a cheap part.

I don’t bash companies on the internet but do plan to post my experience. If the issues are resolved they I will post that as well.

Oh one other thing. I asked for help from TYM, and they did respond. They asked for the serial numbers and they knew when and where I purchased the tractor. I promptly got the information they requested. Then they just broke off contact. I made 3 additional attempts to make contact with nothing but silence… They could have told me anything but to just quit talking is not the proper way to handle the situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latest update

30 Sep 2019 Ocala tractor called and said TYM will fix the tractor under warranty. I asked about a loaner tractor or some compensation for my loss of time. I have over 52 hours transporting my broken tractor not to mention the wear and tear on my vehicle and trailer and fuel costs any money I have saved buying a TYM product is not gone. Ocala Tractor and TYM are not willing to make this right at the moment. I will post more updated as events unfold.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Latest update

30 Sep 2019 Ocala tractor called and said TYM will fix the tractor under warranty. I asked about a loaner tractor or some compensation for my loss of time. I have over 52 hours transporting my broken tractor not to mention the wear and tear on my vehicle and trailer and fuel costs any money I have saved buying a TYM product is not gone. Ocala Tractor and TYM are not willing to make this right at the moment. I will post more updated as events unfold.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I'm sorry this has happened to you. Sounds extremely frustrating. I'd start looking into if the state lemon law applies to this if you have a lemon law. If it does they may be required to buy it back.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
most likely lemon law only applies to road vehicles...but it would be worthwhile to at least check what (if any) it is in your specific state...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lemmon law in my state doesn’t cover tractors specifically but that may be an option . I made a complaint thru the Florida attorney general while my tractor is getting repaired. If nothing comes from this and the manufacturer doesn’t buy this back I’m selling and getting another Kubota.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Trouty,

Really sucks what you have been going through.

Keep in mind that the squeaky wheel get the grease.

You will also be surprised the results you get when you ask the person you are dealing with for their name and the Corporate phone number. They don't want you calling corporate with their name in hand. Document you time, contacts, expenses, etc.

I would also contact the Better Business Bureau, if they can't help, I'm sure they can direct you in the right direction.

CCMoe

5,151 Posts
Lemmon law in my state doesn’t cover tractors specifically but that may be an option . I made a complaint thru the Florida attorney general while my tractor is getting repaired. If nothing comes from this and the manufacturer doesn’t buy this back I’m selling and getting another Kubota.
I am sorry to hear this happen to you. This would stop me from buying a TYM or RK tractor.

I would ask the States Attorney office in the Consumer Protection Division if they can make a phone call to the dealer to refund your money. Let the States Attorney office know you are retired from the Air Force. They work harder for our veterans. I'm sure they can put some heat on Ocala Tractor where as you can get some or all of a refund. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Latest update ...

I purchased a new TYM tractor from Ocala Tractor 1 March 2019

Tractor Problem history T394

1. Was only getting Med and high gear right from the day I got the tractor
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL and they said they put another linkage on the tractor
2. Tractor fan shroud hits the fan and the tires hit the loader frame just days after purchase
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL they said the loader frame was loose
3. Same as above but less than before… Tractor fan shroud hits the fan and the tires hit the loader frame
a. This is still an issue but the problem is 2x worse when the backhoe is attached
4. Hydraulics leak down relatively quick when the engine is off… even with the back hoe off
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL they said they replaced a leaking valve but this is still an issue
5. Back hoe leaked hyd. fluid from control valve from day one.
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… they found a cracked control valve and it was replaced.
6. Third function valve quit working after I put standard bucket on to wash the bucket off with a hose. I then changed back to grapple the same day and the valve didn’t work
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… they replaced something with the 3rd function
7. Auto throttle button quit working
a. Took to Southern Tractor in AL… not quite sure what they did to fix it but when I got the tractor back the tractor wouldn’t go into low gear again
8. When I got the tractor I was missing a few items that got sent to me but the draw bar didn’t fir correctly and looked used.
a. I had to modify the draw bar so it can be used with the back hoe attachment frame.
i. Still an issue
b. Missing top link from the 3 point hitch.
i. Was replaced by Ocala Tractor
9. The tractor is not going into low gear again… NOTE: the leaver hits the metal cutout beside the seat and always did.
a. Repaired at Ocala Tractor
10. 27 Sep 2019… A week to the day after getting the tractor back from Ocala Tractor the Auto throttle button quit working for the second time.add an error on dash F pedal check .
a. Called Ocala tractor and they are working with TYM
b. Still an issue

I have owned the tractor now for 6 month and it has been in my position only of those six months. The rest has been in various TYM approved repair facilities. The most recent event required me to take the tractor to the place of purchase (Ocala Tractor) they had it for about 2 months. When I got it back it ran properly for a week.

My time is valuable and I have not mentioned or asked for compensation but I can’t keep being the nice guy. The Ocala dealership is 10 hours round and the Southern Tractor dealership is 4 away round trip…I have accumulated quite a few miles on my brand new truck that has mostly been used to haul this broken tractor back and forth for repair. I retired from the Air Force and I have always stood up for what is right... and this is not right.

I am an experienced tractor owner. I owned a Kubota L3301 before this and have rented and used many other pieces of equipment.

When I was on the phone with Ocala tractor they told me TYM wasn’t showing any record of my tractor being in for repair at any other facilities. Either someone is trying to cover up the history or someone has made a mistake. I don’t know of a dealer that would repair a tractor 5 times and not get paid… Especially when I didn’t purchase it from them. One of the parts they replaced was a backhoe hydraulic valve… not a cheap part.

I don’t bash companies on the internet but do plan to post my experience. If the issues are resolved they I will post that as well.

Oh one other thing. I asked for help from TYM, and they did respond. They asked for the serial numbers and they knew when and where I purchased the tractor. I promptly got the information they requested. Then they just broke off contact. I made 3 additional attempts to make contact with nothing but silence… They could have told me anything but to just quit talking is not the proper way to handle the situation.
My issue is a little different although I have had the check F pedal to be an issue which was fixed by Ocala Tractor. I’ve had a hydraulic leaking which Ocala tractor said it was a missing O-ring but my biggest issue is it would only run on two cylinders. That started within the first 30 minutes of operation and Ocala tractor told me I could operate it that way. I needed the grapple to clear out some brush so that we could work in the area. The service department was helpful in trying to help me go through some routines which were not successful so I carried the tractor back and after two weeks In the shop, the tractor only ran for 15 minutes and began running on two cylinders again. I carried the tractor back and they worked on it with the computers and could not figure out why it kept doing that so they told me that they replaced the entire wiring harness. The tractor worked well for nine operating hours and begin doing it again. I am under the opinion that the wiring harness had an issue they found and instead of actually swapping it out they thought they had it fixed because the tractor worked really well, when it worked, but when it runs on two cylinders I can’t even operate the Rototiller, it doesn’t have enough power. I have the fan hitting the shroud issue and I have a tire rubbing issue that I had not found only heard it. The tractor has spent more hours on the trailer going back-and-forth to the shop that it has on it operating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TYM T394HST with "F Pedal Check", can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it? I've called two different TYM service departments and they can't tell me anything. Does this mean immediate work stoppage or something I need to monitor and address later?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts