My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this tractor up off craigslist strictly for grass cutting duty of a few acres of yard.
54" cut, hydro.
Model number 917.276101.

I drove it around the yard some but it was late and rainy so it has not been able to prove itself yet!!

There are two things that I need to address. First is the steering. It's very stiff. Is this a common problem with the newer GT's? Any ideas on what to look for? My other craftsman GT is a 1999 model and it steers great.

Second, i'm going to put some tubes in the front tires because one of them has a slow leak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Great looking GT. Congrats. If I didn't have Cubs I'd probably have a couple of those.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great looking GT. Congrats. If I didn't have Cubs I'd probably have a couple of those.
Thanks!! Now with this GT, I'll have two running machines and I can take my time on my Cub 149 build.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Thanks!! Now with this GT, I'll have two running machines and I can take my time on my Cub 149 build.
It's great to have at least one good running workhorse to allow the toy to be torn down lol. :D

·
3,285 Posts
Possibly just low air causing hard steering..if air does not help..get a jack under the front and get the tires off the ground and turn them by hand and see if you can determine what is going on

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly just low air causing hard steering..if air does not help..get a jack under the front and get the tires off the ground and turn them by hand and see if you can determine what is going on
I hope that its just a low air issue. I'll jack the front up after work today to check. My front inner tubes are scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. I'll be able to swap them out at home.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I have one of those, but with a 48-inch deck. Good luck with it!

Mike

·
Money Pit
375 Posts
Fantastic machines. The only thing I don't like about them is the offset steering radius, tight to the left and not to the right. Husqvarna says its set up this way for better mowing around objects. Well I call it a pain in the behind. The spindle bushings are plastic and wear out quite fast on these heavy machines. I replace them with brass bushings. Most hardware stores have them in stock.

·
Hoosier Daddy
818 Posts
Sometimes the front spindles start to freeze up (corrode) in the front axle. Adding some grease to the fittings and working the steering back and forth (wheels off the ground is easier) sometimes frees it up quite a bit. Worse case, you might have to tap the spindles out clean them up, re-grease, and re-assemble.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I jacked the front end up tonight and without any weight on it, it turns easily. I lubed up the spindles and wheels. I'll see how it does next time I drive it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts