My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After extensive research here and at the dealers, ITS A GT 5000 for me!
Downloaded the manual and didnt find any mention of a break in period for the engine.. Is there any special procedure for treating a new engine?
Dan

·
Registered
758 Posts
Most I read about tractor break-in (recommended on other makes)
1) just ride around for 1 hour (no mowing, pulling..) engine WOT, but various ground speeds
2) just ride or mow for the first 10 hours (before getting into any attachment use)
3) at 10 hours, change engine oil (use dino, cannot use synthetic before 50 hours)

of course, check air filter, oil level every time...
New engines are mostly designed to run WOT (full throttle) all the time.
For a Kohler, its best to let the engine get fully warmed up (20+ minutes)before shutting down (otherwise the condensation just becomes water mixed into your oil--bad. full warm up gets the water evaporated out)

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It has been a few years, but my craftsman came with a video that talked about about proper operation, and I believe it mentioned break in.

Are they not including that any more?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
There is a 3 part video, supposedly from the one that Sears supplies, on Youtube. I looked at it last week, and seemed to answer all my questions about my LT1000.
Look under Craftsman tractors. I think that's where it is.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
D-Dogg,

Apparently it would cost too much to include a DVD, those disks cost like $0.10 a piece!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is what I tell my customers, I tell them to run it as normal and then after 8 hours change the oil and filter. Then go with the normal interval on the oil change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts