My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first tractor, an Economy 1614. Don't know if it was a good deal or not ($750). The outside looks a lot better than the inside of the engine. The rod and end cap is in chunks in the bottom of the pan.

Serial number indicates it is a 1975 model. It only came with a box blade and cultivator, so I'll be looking for more attachments soon.

I will have some questions as I try to get this thing going.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's a neat looking tractor. :fing32: If you think it's worth $750, then that's all that matters. The tires look pretty new to me and they aren't cheap. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,285 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice looking tractor. Once you get that engine fixed, you'll have a good solid workhorse for many years to come. It's worth at least what you paid for it in parts so no worries there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice looking tractor and good deal especially with the attachments but I'm pretty sure it is a Jim Dandy and not a 1614.Does it have a 12 or 14 HP engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a 14hp Kohler. I assumed 1614 because of the 16" tires and 14hp engine. Is that what the model number is derived from, or something else?

·
2,285 Posts
Nice looking tractor and good deal especially with the attachments but I'm pretty sure it is a Jim Dandy and not a 1614.Does it have a 12 or 14 HP engine?
You're absolutely right in that it is a Jim Dandy model, or at least what the Jim Dandy had become. The 1612 took the place of the Jim Dandy. Later, it came with a 14hp kohler which is what he may have there. I have several years of literature and brochures here and I checked them out. I looked at the 1975 brochure and it lists the smallest tractor as a Jim Dandy with a 12hp engine. They had begun building the JD with the bigger frame by then. Even the 1979 book shows the smallest as the 1612 or 12hp engine. I then skip to 1982 where the Jim Dandy or 1612 is gone and the smallest is the 1614 with the next size being the 16hp and then the 18hp. The smallest tractor no longer had the 8" front wheels, it had 12" like the rest of the tractors. I think you are right here and we have a 1612 (for sure) but someone may have dropped a 14hp engine in it at one time. Please post the engine model number if you can find it. If you can't, remover the head and see if the valves are the same sive. If they are, you have a 14hp kohler. If they are different sizes, you have a 12hp kohler.

·
2,285 Posts
No reason to doubt the sticker. 14hp kohler it is. Wonder if the engine is original? It certainly looks like it in the pics but you never know.

·
2,285 Posts
I heard from a good source that when 12 HP engines were not available on the assembly line,a 14 HP would be installed.
That would not surprise me at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hello, I am a new member also and wanted to let you know everyone here is very helpful.

By the way like the tractor. As far as the 750.00 you paid for the tractor. Here in NC that tractor with a running engine in that shape and no equipment it would easily bring 1500.00

·
Registered
384 Posts
Those rear tires look almost like new. I also bought my tractor with a blown motor (paid $500).

Depending upon your location, it may take a little while to find a replacement motor (or not). I ended up finding a brand new Kohler Magnum M14 on craigslist, which by the way the magnum uses the K321 block. It looks just like factory and has electronic ignition (no points or coil to mess with).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've cleaned up the crank and had it checked out by a machinist. Everything looks good, so I've ordered a rebuild kit and a new rod. Can't wait for it to get here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts