My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

Been using a Black & Decker Cordless weedwacker for 2 yrs. , this year it started running out of juice sooner on each use until Wed. it only went 5 ft. , I don't recommend them ... I knew I wanted a STIHL and also I could use the same gas can as my STIHL 025 , all of there 2-cycle products are 50:1 ... So yesterday I went on there site to see what would fit my needs and decided on the , FS 45 , went to a couple of dealers to get the best deal and BAM it was in the passenger seat heading home ... :trink39: Finished reading the owners manual and had to go play in the yard , man is it smooth , 27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.) , 9.0 lbs. , shaft driven ... :cool:

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, X595. My Echo gas trimmer is getting "long in the tooth" and I plan to go with Stihl when I replace it. Is the one you got a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke? I was thinking that all Stihl's trimmers were going 4-stroke because of emissions. I bought a pole saw last fall, also a Stihl, and it's a 4-stroke, although you still have to mix oil with the gas (at 50:1). If the string trimmers are available that way, I'm going to go with the 4-stroke, because I love the little engine on the pole saw. Usually starts with one or two pulls, and is a lot quieter than the Echo trimmer I have.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the one you got a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?QUOTE]

It is a 50:1 , 2-cycle , I never heard of a 4-cycle that needed a gas / oil mix ??? :confused:

Later,x595

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
If I could only wear out my 11 yr old Ryobi trimmer/tiller I'd be heading to my JD dealer for a Stihl combo type trimmer. That engine link is interesting, I never bothered to read up on 'em before. Thanx.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
It is a 50:1 , 2-cycle , I never heard of a 4-cycle that needed a gas / oil mix ??? :confused:

Later,x595
If the engine is designed for "all positions" use, meaning upside down or sideways, most will still take a gas/oil mix because of the added weight and size to add a sump for the crankcase. Honda has some small 4-stroke engines that have a circular sump with an oil pickup that works in any position, similar to the "clunk" in a weedeater fuel tank. Stihl's 4-strokes utilize a 2-stroke style crankcase and depend on the oil in the gas for lubrication. They are still 4-strokes by virtue of poppet style valves and the 4-stroke cycle, and cleaner burning even though the oil is ejected via the exhaust. It uses a 50:1 mix, same as the 2 strokes, which is handy for me, as my Stihl hedge trimmer and Husqvarna chainsaw also use 50:1 mix. I started using 50:1 in my Echo trimmer, just to keep from having to make another mix for it, even though it is recommended 40:1. I've been doing it for a couple of years, no apparent damage. I use Klotz synthetic for my oil, I discovered this through my R/C airplane hobby. Amsoil also makes a good synthetic 2-cycle oil.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
arathol , thanks for the link , interesting ...

KHodges , thanks for the information , I did'nt know that , I thought 2-stroke and 4-stroke was just black and white , I did'nt know there was some color added to the mix ... :D

HydroHarold , I also owned a Ryobi Trimmer (2-cycle) , before the cordless , it ran fine but smoked and leaked , I always stored it hanging from a mount on the wall vertical , question to all , is it OK to store these Trimmers vertical ??? I don't want problems with my new Trimmer ...

Later,x595

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I have the Stihl KM55R Kombi system and really like. Starts easily and can swap out an attachment in just a few seconds. Plenty of power and not too bad on fuel usage. slkpk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
KHodges , thanks for the information , I did'nt know that , I thought 2-stroke and 4-stroke was just black and white , I did'nt know there was some color added to the mix ... :D

Later,x595
I looked at Stihl's website after I posted that. There are two engines listed, one is on their "occasional use" series trimmers and is called a "Quad Power", has 4 transfer ports. This makes it a 2-stroke. They also have what they advertise as a low emission engine, used on their "professional" series trimmers and all the pole saws. It doesn't go into detail on the type engine, but a customer comment indicates that it is a 4-stroke engine. I want to know details, so I e-mailed Stihl with questions; I will post results.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't own a digital camera , but my MIL does and I borrowed it for a couple days and took alot of pictures that I downloaded to my computer , so I thought I would practice posting on my own thread , if this works it will be my STIHL FS 45 , I might need help , here goes ...

Later,x595

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it worked , :00000033: , thanks to Ken N Tx , detailed instructions for TinyPic , next time I will try his instructions for making the picture smaller , thanks Ken !!! When I finished , how do you delete your picture , or you don't and just close out of TinyPic and is it gone ???

Later,x595

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I have a Stihl 4 stroke backpack blower that runs on pre-mix. I like how smooth it runs, and it starts right up.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Well it worked , :00000033: , thanks to Ken N Tx , detailed instructions for TinyPic , next time I will try his instructions for making the picture smaller , thanks Ken !!! When I finished , how do you delete your picture , or you don't and just close out of TinyPic and is it gone ???

Later,x595
Man x595, I think you used Hugepic by mistake. :sidelaugh

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I got a reply from Stihl. The "low emission" engine is a 4-stroke, that requires an oil mix for lubrication.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man x595, I think you used Hugepic by mistake. :sidelaugh
HugePic , BWAH HA HA !!! :ROF :ROF :ROF I thought you might want to verify reading the serial# so you would'nt think I stole it ... :ROF :ROF :ROF

Later,x595

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a reply from Stihl. The "low emission" engine is a 4-stroke, that requires an oil mix for lubrication.
KHodges , thanks for taking time out to look up the information ... Do you know if I can store this Trimmer vertically ??? Like I said earlier I stored a Ryobi Trimmer vertically and it leaked oil/gas mix and smoked heavily , not sure if storing it this way caused the problem , I don't want to store my new Trimmer this way until I know for sure ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
695 Posts
A few years ago I got fed up with paying good money for 1 or 2 season trimmers. The last POS ryobi I had lasted less than 1 season before it became a problem. I went and bought a comercial duty stihl 2 handle trimmer and it has been great for several years now. I beat these things pretty hard on my property. After every use I drain the fuel and run it till it stops running to clear the carb. Then I hang it from the cutting end over a rafter in the garage. No problems at all hanging vertically and always starts right up the next time I need it. I haven't even replaced a cutting head yet though it will need a new plastic guard soon.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
KHodges , thanks for taking time out to look up the information ... Do you know if I can store this Trimmer vertically ??? Like I said earlier I stored a Ryobi Trimmer vertically and it leaked oil/gas mix and smoked heavily , not sure if storing it this way caused the problem , I don't want to store my new Trimmer this way until I know for sure ...

Later,x595
I can't see why you shouldn't store it vertically. This is the way most of them are displayed at my dealer and the others I've been in while shopping. Leaking is a sign of a poor seal, whether it's the gas tank or the engine, and how it's hung shouldn't make a difference, IMO.

I couldn't resist, after all this trimmer talk. I got tired of my Echo getting harder to start, and the trimmer head keeps coming apart while I'm trimming. It's over 7 years old, so I broke down and bought a new Stihl today. I got the FS110R, from the same place I bought my tractor and the pole saw I gat last fall. He gave me a good deal, I thought. It was on sale already, and he let me have it for the sale price, including tax. I've only used it about 15 minutes so far, but man, is it an improvement!

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
squatch , I hear you about throwing away money at lesser than quality products , that Black & Decker cordless was around $40.00 that got pi$$ed away ... What STIHL model do you have ???

KHodges , I hope your better half is'nt disturbed at me , for bringing up this Trimmer talk and getting you thinking ... :hide: :ROF Your Trimmer has quite a few Gearbox Attachments , now you can sell your Pole Saw ...:)

Later,x595

1 - 20 of 20 Posts