My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
Congratulations on your purchase, I love it. What are your plans for it?

Registered
My Neighbor retired from IH Before the 82 series went into final Production as the Outdoor Power equipment department could see the writing on the walls That IH was going down and the 82 series wasn't going to help ...
And ironically during this transition from IH to CCC, they put out one of the finest and most capable garden tractors ever made.

Reactions: oefveteran

Super Moderator
And ironically during this transition from IH to CCC, they put out one of the finest and most capable garden tractors ever made.

View attachment 2507683
Your Tractor came out after MTD was already the Parent company of Cub Cadet actually had been for about 3 years at the time the 882 came out
They were still making tractor for IH at that time Your 882 was just a 782D for tractor going to IH

Super Moderator
I have a Trac Vac 880 and thought it may work well with that. I'm not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
The 1250 should tow the Trac Vac 880 and You Can get a new Boot from Track Vac for your 44inch deck for about $295.00 Chute model: 262 (y)
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 11-43-55 Custom Chute - Trac-Vac.png

Reactions: Sevenhills1952

Registered
Your Tractor came out after MTD was already the Parent company of Cub Cadet actually had been for about 3 years at the time the 882 came out
They were still making tractor for IH at that time Your 882 was just a 782D for tractor going to IH

I've missed your point.

Yes, an 882 and 782D were identical units, save for paint and decals. The 82 series were drawn up in IH's waning moments, and shortly after the transition to MTD/CCC some genius at MTD decided to wedge in the Kubota D600. They introduced it at their first dealers meeting in the spring of '83 as their first "new" product.

I've just always found it interesting that one of the best Cubs ever created was basically an unintentional collaboration of both IH and CCC.

Reactions: oefveteran

Super Moderator
I've missed your point.

Yes, an 882 and 782D were identical units, save for paint and decals. The 82 series were drawn up in IH's waning moments, and shortly after the transition to MTD/CCC some genius at MTD decided to wedge in the Kubota D600. They introduced it at their first dealers meeting in the spring of '83 as their first "new" product.

I've just always found it interesting that one of the best Cubs ever created was basically an unintentional collaboration of both IH and CCC.
My Point was IH had no involvement with the development of the 782D or 882 That was a CCC(MTD) decision

The 82 was in development long before the QL was out of Production at that time Nobody thought IH was on it's way out the door when they started work on the 82 series AS Brooks McCormick was still the CEO. Once Archie McCardell took over was when the Middle & Upper Management knew the company was done for
(y)

Registered
IH made the cubs until 1981....became its own division at MTD until late '80s ..then just made by MTD....no longer a separate entity..the ones made by IH are indestructible simple and solid as the iron and steel they were made of
IH seems to make stuff like that. The old Scout and Traveler were like that too. Gas was cheaper then. Thanks for the info.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts