My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Son and I picked up a new to us ATC 200E BIG RED last night.

100% all original! All 3 tires, grips etc. 1983 Honda ATC 200E (Big Red). Electric start, hi-lo range 5 speed semi auto clutch. All Brakes work fine, hand levers not even bent. Was never deep mudded (I know all about that) and underneath shows excellent. Skid plate not even bent! It's a nice tight machine for 31 years old. Even all the decals are present!
Story has it that is was a 2 owner machine and condition and lack of molestation shows. It is near impossible to find these 30 plus year old machines in un-restored condion as nice as this one. I've been looking (not hard) on CL for a long time waiting for a decent one to come along. Both my Brother and Me had a pair of '83 185s models when youngsters and loved them. We beat the living heck out of them as we were young, dumb kids having fun. We had no appreciation for machines like this.
Anyway, setup to go see. Struck a very fair deal, on the trailer it went and home it came. Runs good but going to remove and clean carb. Give it a thorough cleaning and service all mechanicals. Not going to restore anything more than cleaning. My Son mentioned re-painting this and that and I declinded telling him, "They are only original once Son". It's in really nice shape and after cleaning you'll see what I mean. He agreed.

I feel it was a great deal and only negative is the dent in tank. He said they stored it outside for a few cold months under cover and tank froze and sucked it in? There is a lever on cap to release pressure so it may have happened?
Not sure if that makes sense as inside tank is mint like new. No rust whatsoever and dent is perfect! I though it actually was correct, no craked paint and decals correct etc. I guess I could have it popped out but do not want to risk damage. May do some research and see what can be done. This is the only flaw with machine, so far anyway. Electric start works excellent as well as recoil backup. I started it both ways. I forgot to push decompression release and MAN was it hard to pull. Definitely has a good tight engine with tons of compression! (It has a manual release on head) with instuctions on tank how to use it. Lights works as they should hi/lo beam and tail. Tires show minmal wear. No craks in plastic and not faded either. Was told it was inside always, except for last few months outside. Explains surface rust here and there.

Pictures were taken on ride home, was dark and we stopped at McDonald's for an ice cream treat for the find.:fing32: did take one after getting it backed into garage.

Will post pictures after clean up.

MU

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
As far as finding a gem--I'd say ya'll hit the nail on the head!! I've never really had a hugh need for one,but have always liked the 3 wheelers myself.In my book---Honda's the one!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it cleaned up last night. Was not bad at all in comparison to the tractors to get clean. I flipped it on end so underneath cleaning was easy. Still impressed with condition and lack of wear/abuse.

Ordered a carb kit and few other items. Hope to have it all tuned and set ina couple weeks.

I did take it around the yard a few laps in low range. It hauls you know what even in low through the gears! :trink40:

I feel better now about what I paid.

MU

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they made the Big Red up to '87. But there is no ATC made after that year by Honda to my knowledge. They went to shaft drive either in '84 or '85 and had rear suspension, reverse etc. Wish this had rev, but not a deal killer obviously.
My cousin had a couple of the early atc90's. I think they were the coolest with those balloon tires! there is one on e-bay that is going up and up on bidding.

Thanks

MU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,749 Posts
My Dad (83 years old) runs his almost daily moving stuff of all manner around his homestead. He hauls all his firewood from the wood shed to the house one small home made trailer load at a time:

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,390 Posts
Was that one in Rhode Island Mun, I think I saw a listing for a Big Red a few nights ago. Nice ATC, I had some fun on one of those when I was a kid too.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jere, Your Dad has a very nice machine. His has got to be an '84. Looks like the decals are a slight bit different. It looks like shaft drive as well, must have reverse, sweet!
I plan to use this one for towing as well.

This was in Manchester Ct. I was surprised to find it so close to home. They are almost always 1 hour or so away it seems. I do see quite a bit of stuff come up in RI too.

MU

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jere, Your Dad has a very nice machine. His has got to be an '84. Looks like the decals are a slight bit different. It looks like shaft drive as well, must have reverse, sweet!

This was in Manchester Ct. I was surprised to find it so close to home. They are almost always 1 hour or so away it seems. I do see quite a bit of stuff come up in RI too.

MU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,749 Posts

MU
It does have a reverse, a small push/pull button down low on the transmission. I don't think he ever uses it. The homestead has several drive through lean-to's for lawn tractor, 3-wheeler, a 1973 Plymouth Trail Duster, a 1952 Reo Fire Engine, and a long history of other useful and interesting driven machines. I'll have to look, but shaft drive sounds right too. Never noticed a housing for belt/chain.

I know his just runs and runs. You can see Dad u-bolted a dairy crate to the front rack. I know he did put a new battery in once. Otherwise, get on and ride.

The cart he pulls is made from the frame and rear axle of a drift cart I made 50 years ago from plans in Boys Life Magazine. Got rid of the steerable front axle and seat, Upgraded the tires with a pair off rusted out wheel barrows, added a strap of iron for a hitch, some sides and a plywood floor.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does have a reverse, a small push/pull button down low on the transmission. I don't think he ever uses it. The homestead has several drive through lean-to's for lawn tractor, 3-wheeler, a 1973 Plymouth Trail Duster, a 1952 Reo Fire Engine, and a long history of other useful and interesting driven machines. I'll have to look, but shaft drive sounds right too. Never noticed a housing for belt/chain.

I know his just runs and runs. You can see Dad u-bolted a dairy crate to the front rack. I know he did put a new battery in once. Otherwise, get on and ride.

The cart he pulls is made from the frame and rear axle of a drift cart I made 50 years ago from plans in Boys Life Magazine. Got rid of the steerable front axle and seat, Upgraded the tires with a pair off rusted out wheel barrows, added a strap of iron for a hitch, some sides and a plywood floor.
I want to put a basket on the front rack too. Something to hold tools, chainsaw etc.
I ordered some replacement/maintenance parts and await there arrival. I'm doing oil change, air filter, spark plug, complete carb kit/rebuild, will check chain adjustment etc. Both front and rear brakes are like new. I highly doubt anything was ever moved or adjusted on this ATC. After spending the whole week puttering around with it in the garage, it is definitely a very low hour machine! Still cannot believe it's condition.
Everything really is nice and tight. Have not found anything worn. needing replacement yet. :thThumbsU

MU

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
What a good find!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,749 Posts
It does have a reverse, a small push/pull button down low on the transmission. . . . .
Spent some more time with Dad today, we are really getting down to the short strokes on preparations for our (his) auction. Decided to actually use the "Reverse". Works like a champ. Noticed it is a shaft drive as you suggested. And, that the transmission has a plunger type button that you pull, and then rotate the housing to shift between Reverse, High, and Low. Cooler than I thought.

Although it runs well, you can see it is not nearly as clean as your's.

Sorry I missed your plug question while I was still there, I could have looked for any clues on his Big Red

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is cool Jere. That is the same area where mine shifts from lo / hi. They added reverse, and shaft drive in '84. Very nice features for the time. Sure is a nice original machine your Dad has.
Thanks for the picture.

MU

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gave my BR some attention yesterday. I bought this basket for the front rack a while back and have not put it on yet.
I was able to utilize the holes in rack tabs for direct bolt through. It's a bit off to one side (less than a 1/4") but is fine for me. I used some 1" stick on square rubber bumpers as to no scratch paint on rack and keep from vibrating.
Looks pretty good I think. Now on the occasion when I use it I have somewhere to hold stuff.

MU

Attachments

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I used to have a small one man dirt bike and atv shop and I did a lot of repairs on the Honda atvs. These are good machines if given just a little care. One customer liked his so much that he brought it in and spent about $1000 on it getting the top end rebuilt with a bore job and valve job and a new factory muffler. It had got to smoking and he was embarrassed to use it. The regular customer of mine that recommended me told me he was happy as could be after getting it back. This was the big Big Red :thThumbsU

Unfortunately, 10 years after closing the shop I still have lots of new parts for them so if you guys need rear axle bearings, brake shoes, shifters, etc let me know ! I will sell them at dealer cost.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the old BR out of back of garage storage last night. Had to replace the battery, after doing so it fired right up on first hit of starter! Gotta love these simple old Honda engines. Just puttering away at idle. Once warmed up My Son and I tooled around for a bit, made a couple videos etc. I used the new Tachometer and checked idle. Book says 1400 but that is way to high so I left it at 840 or so. Much happier at that low setting.
It ran, rode great. Once good and hot i figured why not drain the oil again and re-fill with new. Really did not need it as oil coming out was clean. This will be the second change since buying it so at least I have piece of mind the engine / trans is flushed and clean.
Such a fun old machine.

MU
http://youtu.be/aETyiLcvg4o

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the new battery I put in. Supposed to be much better than original type. We shall see. It sure spins the starter faster!
It is a bit shorter but came with a stack spacer so height is retained for hold down to function correct.

MU

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I like the AGM batteries a lot more than the lead acid type. Something about having a little tank of lead and acid between my legs turns me off. They're vented and can spill when tipped.

I need to get one for my bike.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,402 Posts
That machine is mean, and clean. And it's in the right hands to keep it that way. Have fun men!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts