My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting looking a used garden tractors and found this site. Anyone know what a 88-89 Wheel Horse 520 H, 48" deck, 1100 hrs, good to very good condition should bring? I've got my eye on one can't decide if the guy wants too much.

Thanks so much
Steve

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
you didnt say what he wants and a 88 humm have to see a picture or two to price

·
16,490 Posts
Yes--pictures will spot more defaults than anything else--other than a hand's-on inspexction.
The 520-H is a hydrostatic tractor , and was the top of the line.

·
Registered
53 Posts
he wants $1900. here's the link.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/1160867504.html

I've pretty much decided that it's too much for me.
I picked up a '93 520H last month w/ a 60" and a plow. Guy also wanted $1900, but sold for MUCH less ($1200) when offered. Spent another $300 getting in tip-top shape. I feel as though I got a decent deal on a great machine, but probably paid too much, but probably will not need another "garden tractor" again. I'll probably pass on before this machine will.

·
16,490 Posts
I feel like that's too much--for that many hours--and no attachments--just the deck.....

Offer him $1,100 range (have cash in hand)--see what happens.

·
Registered
470 Posts
there was a 518-h on craigslist yesterday under syracuse for 525. here is a link. i have a 520-hc and if i had the extra $ i would own that one too, can't kill a onan engine. my parents bought the 520-hc new in 88 with a 42"rear discharge deck for around 7,000 with trade of our old charger 10. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/1162714856.html

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. the lowest he would go was $1800, but that was over the phone. maybe cash in hand would change his mind but it's an 1.5 hr drive so that's probably not going to happen.

My box-store Bolens blew a belt last night only furthering my itch for new tractor.
-steve

·
16,490 Posts
if this one doesn't pan out--just keep watching local papers/sales/Craigslist etc...they will show up--you just have to be quick on the draw with some...

Listen to the really knowledgeable folks here--and read deep into whatever brand you have your heart set on.

I, myself, am partial to the red "Horse's,. (Just yesterday--I got word , through a thrid party of a up/running Wheelhorse that a family I know of, may be getting rid of some time soon..)
My wife said it's way bigger than anything I currently own--
And I've got a couple GT-14's --that are pretty impressive--so it can only be a D-Series....mmmmph..:eek:mg: :eek:mg:

Anyway--but have had others and, probably will again--someday....Maybe a big case 400 series, or a MF biggee...:praying:
Deals sometimes just appear...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Must be the same guy I was emailing back and forth with!

He says in the craigs add that he used it to cut and fertilize his 1/4 acre!
Kinda overkill for 1/4 acre!
Then he said in emails that he bought it from it's original owner for his son!
Who wouldn't accept it because he doesn't think his dad can afford it,and wants him to get his money back!Says he paid 2000.oo
Kinda different story!
I'm also 1hr+ from him so can't get there this weekend to look at it!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the same guy for sure. The story I got was he bought it for his son to put a front loader on, but his son found another 520H for cheaper a few days later. They decided that this tractor was too nice get all scratched up so now he wants to sell it. He also said he swaped the original 42" deck for 48" deck that they had lying around.

If it were me I send my old tractor to curb and keep the 520H

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
it never sinses to get me what the sellers say the cost new give me a break its not worth it like the other guys said.
Now on the other hand i have a couple of 754s that sold for around 485.00 and wouldnt sell any of them for less than $1500.00 and even if that

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stopped by the local toro/wheel horse dealer and had him look up a price on the 520 H. According the dealer book, they could give 3-600 on trade for it and turn around and list it for 800.

He would have come down A LOT!

·
Professional Homeowner
7,653 Posts
I stopped by the local toro/wheel horse dealer and had him look up a price on the 520 H. According the dealer book, they could give 3-600 on trade for it and turn around and list it for 800.

He would have come down A LOT!
I'd like to see any dealer list one like that for $800.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Last June I was offered $1,000 in trade for my 520-H with about 575 hrs and with all the attachments in my signature. My guess is the Kubota dealer would have listed it for $1,500 - $1,800 and taken something less. Needless to say I kept it as it was worth more than that to me. Anyway, $1,900 for one with just a mower and 1,100 hrs is way too much I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just looked at one tonight.
It is a 1993 I think,with 1250 Hours on it,and a 60" deck.
There are some carberator linkage isues,and the only gauges that work are the fuel and volt meter.
Tires are about 40% but hold air.
Paint is not great but I've seen worse.
1 headlight and 1 tail light work!
The guy is asking $900.00 for it.
He is going to try to fix the linkage problem so I can check the transmission,and mower deck out.
Right now it starts,but won't rev properly.
I'll offer him around 600,but I don't think I'll go much over that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts