My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dad made the deal today and it should be home tomorrow. Its supposed to be an 800 series, but not sure exactly what it is. Will have to find the numbers when we get it home. The clutch is stuck so we may have to split it. It comes with a loader. How can you tell if these have the live PTO or not with out running it? Will post pics when I get them.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Serial #'s on top of bump out just behind the starter. Above that will be the model # which will tell you if it's live pto with two stage clutch. Keep in mind that parts get switched out all the time.
How long has the tractor sat? Just because the clutch is stuck doesn't mean you have to split it to free it up. But that is up to you. There has only been one stuck clutch I couldn't free up without a split and that one sat for about 26 years and when I did split it I still had a hard time getting the clutch off even with all the bolts out.
Post some photos when you get it home.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found the #'s, Its an 851 serial # 23596

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
851 is a 5 speed with non-live (trans driven) PTO, so it has a single clutch. It looks in pretty good shape. 23596 is a 1958 serial number, so your tractor is as old as I am, and I like to think that I look in as good a shape as your tractor is.

Try blocking down the clutch pedal for a few days to see if that breaks it loose before you split the tractor.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nouveau *******, :thanku: for the info. Can anyone I.D. that loader? I can see some ind. yellow paint underneath the red. The steering is really stiff. We jacked it up and it s still hard to turn. The spindles are loose, so it is probably in the box itself. I suspect because the steering wheel was off that water got into the box so we will pull it and take a look inside. Does anyone know if you can see the clutch when you pull the steering box?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Yes you can see the clutch from steering box opening. Depending on how long it's been sitting, you can bl;ock the pedal down for a day or two and it might even pop itself. No clue on the loader.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirk, :thanku: for the info. It would be nice if we don't have to split it, but we'll see how it goes. We have a nice bridge crane that makes the job easier if we need too.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Once you pop the steering box off ( or pull starter out) you can rotate and spray the clutch/flywheel with some BP Blaster for a few days with the clutch pedal blocked down then if it don't pop on it's own you can pull it in a higher gear with another tractor or truck.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
I would recommend spraying brake cleaner on the clutch rather than PB Blaster. If you use an oil based product like PB Blaster, you will end up with an oil soaked clutch, so you may have to split the tractor to replace it even if it does free it up.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would recommend spraying brake cleaner on the clutch rather than PB Blaster. If you use an oil based product like PB Blaster, you will end up with an oil soaked clutch, so you may have to split the tractor to replace it even if it does free it up.
Sorry my friend but I disagree. I used to think the same thing and that's why I use to spray brake or carb cleaner after freeing them up with the BP. The BP seem to evaporate not leaving an oily film. Sure after freeing up the clutch and running and driving I do slip the clucth. a few times. I've done the last 3 clutches with just the BP and there's no different. I also believe the BP desovles the rust better than brake/carb cleaner. But to each his own. What ever works best for you.
I alway block down the clutch pedal when not in frequent use. Once they've been stuck they have a tendency to stick again if not blocked down.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
Kirk - I agree that most of PB Blast does evaporate away, which is why you have to spray things that are really stuck multiple times to get it to work good, so if you're not too heavy handed you can probably get away with it.

cjet69 - I'm not familiar with the Ford loader model numbers for those older tractors, but I've never seen a Ford loader with that row of holes going down the side of the frame near the front of the tractor, so I'm going to guess that it's not made by Ford, and is some third party model that has a "universal frame" that can mount up to several makes and models of tractor by virtue of all those holes.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nouveau *******, This loader has been adapted to this tractor as you can see by the crud mounting Brkts. The holes aren't even in a straight line so I don't know if they were done at the factory or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
It looks to me like a farmerized unit. It looks like they might have gotten the idea from the one arm loader bracket but it's not tied it to the bottom bolt for more strenght.
It also looks like he ran out of thick steel. It looks like it's beefed up on the one side. It also looks like the thinner side is angled down a little But it may just be the photo. Definately not FOMOCO.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took the loader off today to make it easier to work on. We got it to fire for a second or two on starting fluid. The fuel is really old, stinky, and gummy, so I pulled the carb and started the cleanup. Heres some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finished cleaning the carb. Just need a new carb to manifold gasket to install it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put the carb on, rigged up a remote tank, gave it a shot of starting fluid and it fired up, Well 2 cylinders fired up. Took a look at the distributor and found the #1 & #2 plug wires were swapped. Once we changed that it fired up and ran good. Here's a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxxXOFGvtE

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We popped the steering box off this afternoon and into the shop for repair. Its still really hard turning when its out of the tractor. With the steering box off we can look at the clutch. Might try releasing the clutch and tapping on the disc to see if that will free it up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As we suspected the steering box was full of water. By the looks of the pitting in the bearing surface we will need a new steering shaft. I've never understood why they don't make these with a replaceable bearing race. :dunno:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 74 Posts