My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

First time tractor owner here. I just picked up a Craftsman 12.5 HP 38" GT Model 917.254791 for $100!! Needs some TLC but in overall great shape, strong engine. I managed to find the owners manual online but it doesn't give a lot of information on the engine and mines missing the flywheel cover so no engine model info. Also I am trying to find a battery for it. Any guidance is appreciated and great forum!

THanks!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! Looks like its a 5 speed powered by a Tecumseh 12.5 hp engine (model number 143.416082). Any of the chain stores, like Wal-Mart, TSC, etc. will have a battery for your needs. Ask a local small engine service if they have an engine shroud you can get from them. And don't forget to do your standard maintenance- sparkplug, fuel filter, oil change, air filter,etc. Good luck!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot!! I definietly will be changing out all the above and replacing one of the blade mandrels that's slightly bent. It does have a little rust on the hood along with some dents that I'll work out. Any preference/suggestion on paint? How hard/easy would it be to level the deck?

Thanks again!:fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome.

They deck leveling is done by one of various methods. Hard to say without seeing a picture or a manual.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Go to pages 18 and 19 of the owners manual for your deck adjustments. I painted my early 90's LT4000 with Krylon "Ford engine gray" rattle cans. Not Craftsman gray, as its a couple shades lighter. It was on clearance at the parts supplier and close enough in color for me.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Snap a few pics of what you're going to be starting on and I'm sure we all can give you a hand with a few of the speed bumps! Walmart, advanced auto etc.. will have your battery. Bring your old one in for a trade(you get a core discount). e-Bay's a great resource for mandrels and other hard to find parts. You can also try entering your model # into searspartsdirect.com to check if you parts are still availible for your tractor.

As for paint, I've always just used shaker cans and I've had great results. Take your time and do a good job on degreasing, the surface prep(sanding) and masking(decals-dash etc..) and you'll save yourself a lot of money. If it's not going to be a show tractor, keep the paint functional. That way you won't throw a fit when you get a scratch or a ding :fing32:

:Welcome1:
:wwp:

Hi everybody,

First time tractor owner here. I just picked up a Craftsman 12.5 HP 38" GT Model 917.254791 for $100!! Needs some TLC but in overall great shape, strong engine. I managed to find the owners manual online but it doesn't give a lot of information on the engine and mines missing the flywheel cover so no engine model info. Also I am trying to find a battery for it. Any guidance is appreciated and great forum!

THanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
just a little tip tho, if you get a battery from wal mart i know they charge a 15 dollar core charge, i just took an old one in that i found on the side of the road

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone,

I will take some photos soon and post them. Thanks for all the tips, they're definitely going to be useful. Tomorrow I plan on picking up a self propelled Craftsman for $50! I'm on a roll!!:thThumbsU

·
2,261 Posts
If it is a Tecumseh engine there are manuals on this site,and welcome to the forum.

TOMMY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I get new filter, plug, battery, fuse, oil change and clean all electrical connections and I go to start it and I barely get half rotation on it. Looks like I have a bad solenoid and the starter smells burnt. Where can I find a cheap replacement? Is it model specific or universal. I'm on a very limited buget so I'm really nervous how much it's going to cost me to get this thing running.:praying: Help me out here guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts