My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford 2000 series unit that hasn't been run in over a year. I replaced the starter today and repaired a leaking sediment/fuel filter. My mechanical abilities are not the best in the world but having read some of the previous posts on this site it looks like there are plenty of good qualified helpers that can get me through it.

So here is my problem:
The unit will not start. It is turning over but acts like it is getting no fire. How difficult is it to get to the points on this unit and a more pertinent question is where are the points located? Help!!! Thanks.
johnj4654 is online now Report Post

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
There were 2 different series of tractors that Ford called the 2000 series. The earlier ones were made from 1960 to 1964, which had 4 cylinder engines, and the later ones were made form 1965 to 1975 and had 3 cylinder engines. Please specify which you have. I assume it is a gasoline engine model of whichever version you have, as the diesels didn't have a sediment bowl.

Plus, if it is the earlier 4 cylinder version, then it originally came from the factory with a 6 volt positive ground electrical system, but it may have been converted at some point to a 12 volt system, and may be positive or negative ground after the conversion, so if it is a 4 cylinder model please tell us what the electrical system currently is setup as.

In any case, gasoline engines need 4 things to fire: air, fuel, compression and spark. If it's missing any of those then it will not fire.

The ignition system was originally points, condenser, coil and distributor, just like an older car, but it may have been converted to electronic ignition at some point. So we really need to know exactly what you've got to be able to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The unit is a 3 cylinder gas with coil, distributor cap and rotor, but I can't see how to get under the plate below the rotor.....so can you direct me from there? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts