My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased our first JD tonight. We went with the LA105.

We were replacing a Snapper RER Model 28086S that I believe was made in the late 80's. We bought it for $250 12+ years ago.

We have a little over half an acre of fairly flat ground. We don't need to do anything but mow, although might consider getting a snow blade at some point.

We had narrowed our mower choice down to a Craftsman YT3000 or the JD LA105.

The Craftsman had two pluses over the JD. It was hydrostatic and it had a 21HP engine where-as the JD is a 6-speed and only 19.5HP. It was also $100 less than the JD.

The JD had a few pluses over the Craftsman. It was a JD, had an hour meter, was being purchased at JD dealer where we could get service done, and came with a free hat. :)

Sears was gonna charge $35 to deliver and we are in the same town. JD said it would be $50 for delivery (they are in a neighboring town) if they made a special trip. They said if we could wait a couple days until they are coming to town anyway, they would not charge for delivery. The same deal holds true anytime we need it serviced. They will pickup/drop-off for free of they are coming to town anyway.

The sales guy at JD was fantastic even though we showed up 25 minutes before closing. We told him what kind of yard we had and what mower we were replacing and he steered us to the LA105, but mentioned the other higher models. There was no upsale pressure at all. When we mentioned that Lowes also had the same model, he did tell us that they did their service too, but would give priority to someone that purchased directly from the dealership.

When I asked about mowing in reverse (which my Snapper does) he mentioned the RIO switch. He said he could show me how to bypass it but could not do it himself.

I am looking forward to seeing how much quicker we can get the yard mowed with this mower instead of the Snapper. We are going from an 8HP engine and 28" cut to a 19.5HP engine and a 42" cut. The quicker we can get the mowing done, the quicker I can get back in front of the TV. As I always tell my wife... "The TV isn't going to watch itself!"

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
:Welcome1:

FIRST thing you should do when you get it is check the tire pressures per the book. next check the deck level, these 2 things are commonly not done during setup. if you don't do the tires first, the deck won't level properly.

take care of it and it will take care of you. just remember you bought a base line lawn tractor, NOT a bushhog! i had a hard time getting that thru my head when i got my L130. :sidelaugh

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the JD. slkpk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like you found a great dealer. Best of luck "goin' green!"

Take care of the machine and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update on just how good of a sales guy we got!

The dealership is about 20 miles away from my house. When we bought the mower last night, the sales guy said we could pay $50 for delivery, or if we waited 2-3 days until they were coming to town, they'd deliver it for free. We chose to wait since we aren't due to mow again for about 5-7 days anyway. Today, the sales guy called and said he was on the way to our town. He personally delivered our mower less than 24 hours after we bought it with no delivery fee.

So far, I am impressed with my dealings with the John Deere dealership!

On, another note, when my wife got home to meet the delivery, she found out our neighbor read on my Facebook page about our other mower dying Saturday, so he went ahead and mowed our lawn today! While that is awesome on one hand, how am I gonna test my new mower?

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
6 speed? You must'a got the souped up model! LOL I've had my LA105 for almost a year and I love it. I have no complaints whatsoever. It drives and cuts great. As far as testing the new mower? Wait a week, it'll grow back, until then go mow a neighbors lawn. :)

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and thank you for purchasing through a dealer! You'll be much happier knowing the folks that are going to work and service it and they prefer working on machines they sold!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts