My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I'm obviously new to the forum, but I have been reading it for a while and there are some very knowledgeable people on here. Anyway, without further audew, I currently own a 3 acre parcel, that my wife and I are having a house built on. The reason I joined is I'm in the market for a tractor (probably used but possibly new) and I'm unsure what kind or what options I should look for. I currently mow the roughly 1 acre that's cleared with my uncles Husqvarna 2348 but even I know that is not near enough tractor for my future needs. Future needs would include snow removal (be it with a blower or plow), some reasonably moderate dirt moving (I'll have the other 2 acres dozed, then straighten things out from there), Possibly some post hole digging and of course mowing,.....oh and there will be some tree dragging too. BUt that said after the initial onslaught of clearing, leveling and tree removal I'll basically only have mowing, general property maintainence, and snow removal. Seems like a lot to ask your garden variety Garden Tractor to do (atleast ones that cost less than I can get a good used compact or utility tractor for.) So what do you guys think, any suggestions would be appreciated.:thanku:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
61 Posts
:MTF_wel2: If you want to do that much ground engaging along with moving snow and hauling logs, You might want to consider a scut? Just my 2 cents!:sorry1:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just my two cents worth here but I think I'd go for a used JD2210 or 2305 and the GC2300 or GC2400 Masseys. Those tractors are not much if any bigger than my garden tractors but built a lot heavier, 4wh dr, hydro. While I do love my ole gardens tractors(5), in your case I'd go with the scut. One factor to consider is where is the closest dealer and do you get along with them. The dealer may have a trade-in he'd make you a good deal on figureing to sell you some implements and service on down the road. A tractor like that should last you 20-30 yrs if properly maintained and used properly.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I do have a John Deere and a Mahindra dealer within a 30 minute drive. Actually the Deere dealer is prolly 15 minutes away at best so indeed that may sway my decision.:thanku:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whereabouts in Upstate NY are you?

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Hello Chemtech,

Welcome to MTF from a fellow NY'r !!! Lots of good info and advice here and a great bunch of Members.

I am from Livonia ( Conesus Lake Area ) 30 miles South of Rochester.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron, Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually not too far from you, I live near Bath, NY. And I'd agree, I've found many on here to be very helpful!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
:Welcome1: I would go with a JD 2320 or 2520 because anything smaller
(2305 or 2210) has a limited 3pt hitch (doesnt lift high enough for a post hole digger) So the 2305 or 2210 dont meet your needs. The 2320 or 2520 will meet your needs. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome!

I have a different approach. Instead of getting one engine and all those attachments, I think it makes more sense to get an engine and frame dedicated to your frequent, ongoing needs - mowing and snow removal - and consider hiring help or renting specialized machines for the rest. If they break, the rental insurance covers it. I have been glad of this more than once.

I think on less than a CUT, snow removal is best done by a blower, especially on a longer drive. A blower moves the snow once, a plow packs it up and each successive push is heavier until you reach the limit of the pusher. You are in upstate NY. Much snow up there? (he asks with tongue in cheek)

How many post holes are you gonna dig? A PH attachment is beau coup francs, and a hand-held PH does the same job at way less cost with two people holding it. If you are setting many posts, you are going to want help anyway, even from a brother-in-law.

Tree removal - you mean really remove, like off the property or split into firewood or reduced to chips? Chippers for any size tree are costly. Dropping trees of significant size is hazardous and you will want help even if it is someone standing nearby to call 911 if the worst happens. If you drop 2 acres of big and small trees, where in the Sam Hill are you going to put them? That is a lot of mass and volume.

You said you were going to call in a dozer. Yeah, let them knock down all the scrub and major trees, push out the roots, and shove it all to the side. Then they can bring in a really big spring rake and level off the ground faster than you would believe. Your time is worth something to yourself and your family.

After all that is done, you can put in a garden with any number of fun attachments for your GT, mebbe even a front loader with the money you did not spend on a much larger CUT. Even those old 2-wheel walk-behinds with 5 hp do an amazing job of working the soil. For those few needs, you are definitely out of the big box stores; they do not have anything heavy enough to manage ground engagement, perhaps enough to mow and blow snow.

A new one would probably be a JD, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, or Kubota. Those guys can suggest specific machines, I do not know those brands.

I have a GT from the 70s; I think the 70s and 80s were a golden age for GTs because they reached their maximum size and capabilities. You can get well-running machines and attachments at very reasonable prices, much much lower than new, and normal wear parts like seals and bearings are still available. The disadvantage is, you have to be quite a gearhead because an unexpected part will fail and you will need to search and ask for it rather than get it from the local mower shop.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C2H80, thanks for the welcome, and the insight. Alot of what you posted made sense. Like the post holes, not something I plan to do more than once or twice and I could definitely rent one for the occasion. As far as the clearing and associated brush and trees, there is actually alot more brush than trees (maybe 20 trees I'm guessing) mostly pine, but a few ash, and a smaller maple or two. These would be most likely cut up into more manageable sizes before they were transported anywhere. Also I'm with ya on the older 70's and 80's GT's ! They sure did make some good ones in those years. I may yet end up with something along those lines, fortunately for me I'm a machinist by trade so I can not only fix what breaks on the older stuff, but I can make replacement parts if need be as well. I used to have a Cub Cadet 1806 that I used to mow and plow with,....wished I never got rid of it now!:banghead3:banghead3

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Look around for a Bolens large frame. That would be perfect for you. Big mower deck, snowthrowers and plows are easy to come by. And, they are fairly cheap. (I paid $900 for my first one with a 42" tiller and a 48" mower deck. It also had brand new tires).

Good luck,
Jason

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
im going to suggest a cut or scut because once you have the machine you will be amazed at the work you will find for it around the property and if you get one with a loader you could do much of the brush clearing yourself and save some money by not paying someone else to do the work for you. i'm not sure about where you are but over here in ohio dozer work is not cheap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts