My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New to the forum, and really like reading all the good information!
I got me a GT2544 about a month ago, and so for I like it, I did the 10 hour oil and filter change, and anything over a quart and half would put it over full,
well I left it at the full mark and went ahead and used it up to 17 hours and changed the transmission oil and filter.
I got 4 quarts of transmission oil in and checked the oil, and it was over full so I started the engine and let it run about 60 sec. and checked it again and still over full. I drained 5 and 3/4 quarts of factory oil out of it, so I know it had about 6 quarts in it, so I have 5 quarts of oil in it now and the dipstick shows way over full !
Have any of you all had this problem ? ( the manual says 2 qts of moter oil for the engine and 6 qts of trans oil for the transmission)

Thanks for any advice Bernie,

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bernie.

Did you have the tractor on a good level spot when you changed the oil? Sounds like the engine did not drain completely. I used to have to elevate one side of my craftsman to get it thoroughly drained.

The transmission is a little bit of a different story. It's usually impossible to completely drain one. However, if you account for the oil in the filter it sounds like you took about 6 quarts out. Have you purged the transmission yet? Basically running it forward and reverse while on jack stands.

·
Super Moderator
17,133 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome D-Dog, & Sergeant,
Yes I had it on a level garage floor and used the floor jack to tilt the engine diffrent angles. I sure wish there was a better drain for the engine.
The next oil change I will measure the old oil, to make sure I get all of it out.

I didn't do any purging after installing the trannmission oil, after I got the 5th qt in I tryed the rev, pedal and it moved backwards and then tryed the forward pedal and it worked OK, so I drove it around and everything worked OK, but the dipstick shows way over full.
Come to think of it, I had checked the trannmission oil a few days ago and it showed over full then, I thought maybe just need to run it for for a while.
I will see how it works out tomorrow.

Thanks Bernie,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts