My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've received a used DGS6500 with the mulch kit, the current mulch blades are craftsman mulch kit blade. I hate it it leave large clumps when cutting dry grass. I mow slowly and cut once a week.. Any suggestions on new set of mulch blades.. I'd like to keep the mulch deflector on if possible.. I read on-line gators work best with-out mulch kit? :00000060:

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I've had very good results with the gators, and same as Ken mentioned with or without the mulch plug :fing32:

·
Registered
547 Posts
just started using Gators.... seem to work well..hear they'll stay sharp longer also.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Terabyte,

I agree. I have really fast growing thick grass and the regular high lift blades always leave heavy rows of grass to dry out and get chewed up next time. I just recently went to Gators and what used to be heavy, thick rows are now light to non-existent. The grass comes out in short pieces instead of long pieces. I have a DGT6000 with 54 inch deck.

The other thing about the Gators is they will mulch with or without the mulch kit.

Runningbare

·
Registered
811 Posts
Terabyte,

I agree. I have really fast growing thick grass and the regular high lift blades always leave heavy rows of grass to dry out and get chewed up next time. I just recently went to Gators and what used to be heavy, thick rows are now light to non-existent. The grass comes out in short pieces instead of long pieces. I have a DGT6000 with 54 inch deck.

The other thing about the Gators is they will mulch with or without the mulch kit.

Runningbare
I'm a recent gator convert and totally agree with "they will mulch with or without the mulch kit." My deck is of the "non mulching" variety, but going with the gators I was amazed how much grass DIDN"T come out of the chute. One caution, when I put them on I checked the balance and two were fine and was grossly out of balance, so check them prior to installation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Everland,

I must have read your post before because I checked the balance on the blades before I installed them. All were fine. I also picked up a set for my 44 inch mower. They were all balanced, too.

Where did you get yours? I got mine at Jacks Small Engines. They were cheaper than any place else I found and they got here two days after I ordered them! They came loose, wrapped in brown paper, no other packaging.

Runningbare

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the kind replies, I'll place an order from Jack's .. and recommendation on scraping of dead grass stuck under the deck, will a simple jet spray take off the gunk stuck from the current blades?

·
Registered
129 Posts
TeraByte,

I haven't yet found an effective way of preventing grass buildup and removing it other than by elbow grease and a sharp, stiff putty knife and a stiff wire brush wheel on my angle grinder. Some users have even had their decks sandblasted.

I have cleaned the deck down to the bare metal, removed all hardware, removed roughness from rusted metal, primed and painted all to no avail. I've even coated it with graphite on both bare and painted surfaces, but the grass wears away everything down to bare metal seeming almost instantly. I don't know if it's because of a bad painting technique or just insufficient surface preparation because of the humidity or a hostile environment from the abrasive grass. The paint doesn't peel, it's just worn away in patterns around the tips of the cutting blades, directly off the ends and a 6-inch band above the blade tips.

Right now I'm using the old farmer's technique of cleaning the underside of the deck every couple of weeks and coating it with used motor oil. The oil inhibits rust from the grass accumulation and helps it repel some of the grass. I've also installed water ports to rinse the deck off after heavy cutting to keep the accumulated grass from molding and rusting the deck. They're helping but are no panacea.

I've gone to Gator blades hoping they will chop the grass finely enough so it will have a less abrasive effect on the deck. This fall I will scrape, sand, and grind the underside of the deck to get a good surface, treat it with phosphoric acid to remove/prevent rust from humidity while I prime and paint the surface with extra hard enamel followed by a coat of graphite.

Hopefully I can get a good enough finish to last at least one season with minimal reworking. If not, I'll keep trying different techniques until I find something that works. Otherwise I'll just keep cleaning and coating with used motor oil.

Do you have any suggestions?

Runningbare

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Agri Supply was something like 8.89 a bladefor 54"deck blades for a craftsman.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Agri Supply has higher shipping charges, so it's just about a wash. (35 cents difference) Jacks had other items I needed that Agri Supply did not. I'll probably order my next ones from Agri unless they don't have something I need.

Runningbare

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ordered Gator 3-in-1 blades from an EBay store called Wildcats46 and they sent me Predator blades. I wasn't happy, emailed them my problem and they said I should send them back...AT MY SHIPPING EXPENSE !!! That would have been over $15. I installed the blades today, and will try them tomorrow. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EBAY SELLER WILDCATS46 !!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Predator blades are very similar to the Gaters. You'll probably be happy with them???

Did you check the balance before installing them?

Runningbare

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been trying to find some for my 2-blade 46" cut DYS4500 without much luck...am I looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mac,

Do you have the Sears/AYP part number for the original blades? Do they have a round center hole or a star hole?

What is the model number for you tractor?

Runningbare

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this the part # on Jack's small engine - 3 in 1 Gator Mulch blade = OR95605

Can some one let me know if this is the correct blade for the 54" deck? :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 95-605 blade is the correct one for the 54 inch deck. They are about $17 LESS for three at Jacks and Agri Supply. Jack sell the Oregon Gators. I don't know about the Agri blades.

MAC,

Weren't you looking for a set of 2 blades for a 46 inch deck?

Runningbare

1 - 20 of 25 Posts