My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just bought a running 122 cub cadet for my son to start building his pulling tractor. What would the first thing to upgrade on this tractor?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we just joined a club and they are rewriting the classes. would like to stay stock class maybe just add tires weights and a helmet and let the kid go. we can then work on things that break and tweek here and there. What about rebuilding the carb. that is a good first job for a young man to do and he can do it inside where it is warm??

· Registered
96 Posts
Safety first. Add some wheelie bars and possibly a kill switch. Wider wheels and tires for the rear. Next would be weights. Your club may require a spring return throttle also. If the carb need to be rebuilt that is fairly easy. There are some good how to on the web. Be sure to check the clutch as the extra load of pulling will immediatly show any weekness and could make for an unfun time. I suggest you take lots of pictures so we can see how the tractor turns out. I am pleased that you are introducing your son to the sport. It will make some great memories for him. Good luck and happy pulling.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay the 122 was junked and we just got a running 126.. I will be putting up photos soon. We want to pull with this tractor but we want to restore it also our club does parades and my son wants to drive it down the street on 4th of july.....

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I cant seem to get the photos small enough to load.. Need a teenager to fix this for me...HAHAHA
I was wondering if anyone ever pulls with the creeper gears??

Can I install creeper gears on my 126 if it did not have them??

I have seen them around and could put that on my list..

Waiting for the chief mechanic to get out of school so we can start the teardown. we are starting with tires and wheels maybe get them sandblasted and painted up...

· Deere 330 Killer
17,793 Posts
If you want to do well right off the bat, invest in some big tires and lots of weight.

And for help with the pictures, try: http://www.tinypic.com

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only OEM stock rims are allowed. Maximum tire size 23x10.50x12. NO CUT, STUD OR ATV TIRES, NO DUAL WHEELS, NO TIRE CHAINS.

This is one rule that has my hands tied on tires...

· Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
carlisle makes tires in that size, firstone, deestone, duro..all of them, and the OEM rims meens steel wheels prolly...id personally weld the rear end posi but then u are NOT going to drive it in a parade..Also u DO NOT want to drive ur pulling tires in a parade!! it dulls them up! and installing a creeper gear is bad, ive seen them break under stress on a pulling track..plowing and stuff they arent stressed like pulling...id do wheelie bars, kill switch, gas pedal, tires and wheels and weights and go!

· Registered
112 Posts
I would check on that rim width rule, if you can use any oem stock rim I would try and find some john deere rims; those can get pretty wide(like 9 or so inches as opposed the stock like 7.5.

Also if you can't cut the tires, go ahead and check out BKT tires, my brother and I pull with a club that allows cutting but he didn't want to cut his and he was extremely competitive last year!

Jser

· Farm Show
2,618 Posts
Here are some diffrent class pulling tractors. Hope the guys dont mind me posting them!

Thats my 71 way back in the picture.
I'd say you would want rims and tires, like this guy has:

· Registered
42 Posts
My son and I pulled for several years in N.W. missouri we had a lot of good times learning and working together. Brian Miller's Garden tractor pulling tips& tricks web site has a lot of good information for the new guy . Get the rules from the club for the class you want to run and under stand them so you don't spend money and time on usless things.Safty sould be your first modification. DON"T let winning get in the way of having fun .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.