My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sat most of the last four years that he had it from what the PO tells me. The battery needed a charge, the ignition switch may need to be replaced, it has a weak spark, I can get a weak spark off the wire but not the plug,so it won't run. My first Briggs, does anyone have ideas where to start?

Attachments

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Nice looking tractor there!

Points are located below the exhaust outlet on the side of the block under a rectangular cover held on with two flat head machine screws. You may be able to just clean them up and reset them to .020" If that fails you may need to replace the points and condensor.

Points and condensor are readily available from you local lawn mower shop or from a number of internet retailers. I just recently did this to my 816S but if you are not in a real big hurry let me suggest a possible upgrade to breaker-less ignition. You have to ship the flywheel to Briggs and they will re-polarize the magnets switching the polarity and then it will function properly with a magnetron unit for the about the same money. If you send me a PM with an E-mail I'll be glad to forward the E-mail I got from Briggs when I inquired about this. Some will tell you that this is a waste and you can just slam a different coil on it... and you can. I figure if Briggs offers the service for free... it's an important step.

After getting good ignition I wouldn't hesitate to do a carb rebuild just as a precaution and clean the little screen in the bottom of the tank on the valve.

Good luck getting it going!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't done anything to it, took it off the truck and went back to getting the Yanmar ready for some brush hogging for today. That gave me some problems with the 3pt. It went up but wouldn't go down. I think it is a problem with the valve. Tomorrow I'll see if I can fix it. Then I can get to the 816.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Good find - that thing looks great for its age. Do you have an hourmeter on it? What are your plans for it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No hour meter on it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it once I get it going. I'm thinking about putting a 50" deck on it. I like to find a set of wheel weights and chains to go with the plow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts