My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(A friend of mine (@PA318Guy) pulled one of these off recently, so I decided to give it a try)

In another thread (Possible refresh on my x728 )I documented my quest to find a new lightly used x758 or x738 to shoulder the load my current x728 has carried so well. Ultimately, I found, and retrieved a low (50-ish) hour 2020 x738 about 75 miles west of here. The Original owner bought it a year ago, then due to some change in personal circumstance he moved to a house in a nice little development with a postage stamp sized lawn.

Early this week I trailered my Aluma out the turnpike empty, did a quick evaluation, liked everything I saw, loaded it up and trailered it home. The entire transaction was easy, the previous owner assisted in the loading, and transfer of tractor, attachments, manuals, and the fluids and filters for the 50 hour service that hadn't been completed yet. In order to keep threads nearly limited to thread titles. Here it sits loaded and ready to roll in the suburbs of Carlisle, coincidently where both my kids went to college, so I was very familiar with the route.

Wheel Tire Plant Riding mower Vehicle

I'll start this one to document my new-to-me x738.

I did a minimal mow check out on the neighbors lawn then gave it a first wash. I noticed I could not clear the debris under the deck ramps and guards. So, this morning I decided to verify I understood the Auto Connect or more precisely the disconnect. It worked flawlessly. Then with the deck in the driveway, I pulled the ramps and guards off and found perhaps the worst festering packed grass mess I have ever seen:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Seriously:

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Then, I plastic putty knived the crap out before more serious scrubbing, and got it looking pretty good:

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow

It sits in my garage now with a fan attempting to dry it before I grease it, reinstall the ramps/guards, and verify the Auto-Connect. In the mean time, the oil is draining - wow, I thought I wanted this new tractor for the auto-connect, now I know the real beauty is the new oil drain lever rather than a wrist dislocating 10mm wrench making two ratchet clicks at a time!

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Also, called my local dealer and initiated the transfer of the remaining 1026 days of warranty to me (and I guess them).

Stand by, more reports to come.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
(A friend of mine pulled one of these off recently, so I decided to give it a try)

In another thread I documented my quest to find a new lightly used x758 or x738 to shoulder the load my current x728 has carried so well. Ultimately, I found, and retrieved a low (50-ish) hour 2020 x738 about 75 miles west of here. The Original owner bought it a year ago, then due to some change in personal circumstance he moved to a house in a nice little development with a postage stamp sized lawn.

Early this week I trailered my Aluma out the turnpike empty, did a quick evaluation, liked everything I saw, loaded it up and trailered it home. The entire transaction was easy, the previous owner assisted in the loading, and transfer of tractor, attachments, manuals, and the fluids and filters for the 50 hour service that hadn't been completed yet. In order to keep threads nearly limited to thread titles. Here is sits loaded and ready to roll in the suburbs of Carlisle, coincidently where both my kids went to college, so I was very familiar with the route.

View attachment 2560082

I'll start this one to document my new-to-me x738.

I did a minimal mow check out on the neighbors lawn then gave it a first wash. I noticed I could not clear the debris under the deck ramps and guards. So, this morning I decided to verify I understood the Auto Connect or more precisely the disconnect. It worked flawlessly. Then with the deck in the driveway, I pulled the ramps and guards off and found perhaps the worst festering packed grass mess I have ever seen:

View attachment 2560083

Seriously:

View attachment 2560084

Then, I plastic putty knived the crap out before more serious scrubbing, and got it looking pretty good:

View attachment 2560085

It sits in my garage now with a fan attempting to dry it before I grease it, reinstall the ramps/guards, and verify the Auto-Connect. In the mean time, the oil is draining - wow, I thought I wanted this new tractor for the auto-connect, now I know the real beauty is the new oil drain lever rather than a wrist dislocating 10mm wrench making two ratchet clicks at a time!

Also, called my local dealer and initiated the transfer of the remaining 1026 days of warranty to me (and I guess them).

Stand by, more reports to come.
Nice new addition--I bet that maqchine is already smiling--"I'm in good hands"...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm surprised the original owner let the debris accumulate so much under the pulley covers/drive over ramps.

Blower in one hand, couple fingers on other hand to lift on the cover, blow area clean, replace cover....
I'm not a wash and wax it regularly person, but it the entire machine and deck can be blown down in a minute or two.

Way, way easier than on older styles that required snap-over latches and/or bolt removal to be able to clean the deck.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm surprised the original owner let the debris accumulate so much under the pulley covers/drive over ramps.

Blower in one hand, couple fingers on other hand to lift on the cover, blow area clean, replace cover....
I'm not a wash and wax it regularly person, but it the entire machine and deck can be blown down in a minute or two.

Way, way easier than on older styles that required snap-over latches and/or bolt removal to be able to clean the deck.
On my x728 I cut slots on the outside edges of the covers that allowed my blower to blast the debris out the belt openings. I have to think I'll end up cutting some openings on the outside edges of the covers that are integrated into the ramps of my new-to-me x738. I think there must have been a change in the design of the ramps and covers somewhere along the lineage of the 60HC deck.

·
Super Moderator
14,160 Posts
Very nice addition Jere! Been a few weeks since I had time to surf MTF and found your other thread a little bit ago. Very similar spot to where I was add in May of 2021. My X748 was (still is) a good machine but an upgrade was needed. I think you will really like the 60HC deck. I was a bit tepid at first with some of the early problems they had with the HC's when they came out but I have been pleased with the performance of my 60HC, plus the removable covers make cleaning very very easy!

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
433 Posts
On my x728 I cut slots on the outside edges of the covers that allowed my blower to blast the debris out the belt openings. I have to think I'll end up cutting some openings on the outside edges of the covers that are integrated into the ramps of my new-to-me x738. I think there must have been a change in the design of the ramps and covers somewhere along the lineage of the 60HC deck.

Does it not have the plastic, integrated ramp/pulley covers?
I can't tell about the ramp/cover fastening from the photo.
(and I'm away from the machine so can't compare right now)

Those plastic guards are a completely different deal --- much much much easier to just pop off.
They snap down at front, so lift at front, then remove rear tabs from the notched deck brackets at the rear -- ramp and pulley guard is off.

Mines a 2020 model 54HC

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it not have the plastic, integrated ramp/pulley covers?
I can't tell about the ramp/cover fastening from the photo.
(and I'm away from the machine so can't compare right now)

Those plastic guards are a completely different deal --- much much much easier to just pop off.
They snap down at front, so lift at front, then remove rear tabs from the notched deck brackets at the rear -- ramp and pulley guard is off.

Mines a 2020 model 54HC
It does, probably the same as you are describing:

Electronic instrument Musical instrument Gas Audio equipment Machine

I see some folks have yellow painted metal ramps. And, I make no excuse for why the original owner didn't clean his out more often, or perhaps even once. You are right, probably easy enough to pop off and blow. Maybe my idea to cut a pair of slots on the outer edge of the guard isn't even necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Jere,

Nice machine and in good hands now.

I'm going to drift off topic a bit, how do you like your Aluma trailer? I was looking for one to haul my JD 455, or my 2021 Yamaha PTV Drive 2 Golf Cart. I currently use a 16' dual axle utility trailer, bit big and heavy fo one machine.

A couple friends have Aluma trailers, one is used daily hauling a Ferris Zero Turn, the other is seldom used. The daily user noticed cracking on the underside, the seldom used also checked his and found some cracking. Both bought them for their lightness along with the aluminum, here in the midwest, they wouldn't be subject to rusting.

Do you have any issues with your trailer?

To get back on topic, what is the symbol for on the circular part of the belt cover?

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jere,

Nice machine and in good hands now.

I'm going to drift off topic a bit, how do you like your Aluma trailer? I was looking for one to haul my JD 455, or my 2021 Yamaha PTV Drive 2 Golf Cart. I currently use a 16' dual axle utility trailer, bit big and heavy fo one machine.

A couple friends have Aluma trailers, one is used daily hauling a Ferris Zero Turn, the other is seldom used. The daily user noticed cracking on the underside, the seldom used also checked his and found some cracking. Both bought them for their lightness along with the aluminum, here in the midwest, they wouldn't be subject to rusting.

Do you have any issues with your trailer?

To get back on topic, what is the symbol for on the circular part of the belt cover?

CCMoe
My Aluma trailer gets limited use too, and though I haven't seen any cracking along the underside, I crawled under to unbolt the motorcycle wheel chocks to make room for the tractor and while under there I noticed the welds are real ugly. I can't evaluate them for how well they will hold up, but they wouldn't win any beauty contests. I'd say some rookies did the welding on mine.

As far as that symbol - well, I don't know, and can't even guess. I might find some hint in the owners manual, or maybe one or more of the experts here will have an answer.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spent the day familiarizing myself with the new to me parts of my x738. The kit of fluids and filters the previous owner sent along to me had an after-market oil filter (but oem hydro filter). And, as so many new to the full time 4wd tractors do, he under purchased the HyGard Low vis. The owner's manual for my x728 from 12 years ago, and the owner's manual for the x738 both list the capacity in two places, one place for the transaxle and another place for the front axle and drive motors. You have to add the two together to make sure you have enough on hand before draining. So, I did a mid maintenance run to my local dealer and bought an oem filter and two more gallons of HyGard. Wow - that war in the Ukraine has really boosted the price of this stuff.

Anyway, the deck is now cleaned up and ready for the reinstall:

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

And after my success with the auto disconnect, I have to concede the re-connect did not go well. I will have to try it on the lawn so the deck doesn't slide away from my drive wheels.

Now, I have a couple questions for the experts and experienced owners of x738:

First, what is this electrical connector just behind the right side of the front bumper?

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Fender

Second, has anyone who uses their auto-connect capable X7 configured a cover for the connector that hangs under the tractor when you are using the tractor without the deck? Like when plowing or blowing snow, or, who knows, grappling in the woods through the winter???

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle

And, what on earth is that long bolt on the bottom of the connector? I assume it is involved in alignment, but seems to be longer by 2X than it would need to be.

·
Super Moderator
14,160 Posts
The connector is for the front PTO sensor. The front PTO sensor disables the RIO feature when the through axle shaft (in this case) is turning.

Reactions: CCMoe and Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The connector is for the front PTO sensor. The front PTO sensor disables the RIO feature when the through axle shaft (in this case) is turning.
The symbol is for grease I believe.

Thanks for both answers. @bgdv1 I could stare at that symbol for a long time and never figure that out.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was raining most of the day today, so I didn't get both tractors out for a side by side. But, here in the garage they sit shoulder to shoulder:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
348 Posts
In the photo of the auto-connect. To the left and above is a shiny bracket. In the winter you are supposed to disconnect the driveshaft to the auto-connect and hang it on that bracket. You have to have the deck height set right for it to work. Then you raise the deck height to maximum and it tucks the auto-connect up out of the way. Assuming you have a by-pass valve, it will stay up out of the way while plowing or blowing. Tucked up out of the way you can connect the blower driveshaft without having to remove the auto-connect.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
How do you like the newer seat?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
NICE find @Jere39

That grass under the covers is annoying, I try and keep it blown out but it still accumulates.

I modified this removing the "safety features" and it now blows like no tomorrow. You have to really hang on to it now.

Air Blow Gun with 2 ft. Extension

1 - 20 of 88 Posts