My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so heres how I spent this past weekend;

The past 3 years or so, I have been looking for a "project truck" to keep me busy. Well, I got one. A member of another forum I am on knew I was looking and pmed me about his Suburban. He told me he needed it gone, the transmission slips, and to make him an offer. Well, long story short after borrowing a trailer, driving 4 hours each way, a cash exchange, and some white knuckle driving, I now have a 1985 Chevrolet Suburban, K10, 4X4, 6.2L w/TH700-R4, 157K miles and yes, it has rust. Keep in mind, I bought this as a project truck, but for 24 years old, its in great shape. Its not exactly what I was looking for but its nice none the least and there is nothing on it I cant fix. I put a bottle of Lucas oil trans fix in and no more slip!

Anyway, I know these are what everyone wants to see;

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Those burbs are nice on trips.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those burbs are nice on trips.
You got that right. My 97' has been to KY and back a few times, its great! I'm hoping for the same experience out of the 85' but with better fuel economy! :trink40:

:trink39:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,424 Posts
Looks pretty nice for an 85!..you'll like the 6.2 for economy ,but dont expect blazing acceleration,it'll take time to get it to 65 mph,but will get 20 mpg ,possibly more--my 82 K2500 GMC with a 6.2 gets 15-22 mpg,with the plow on it gets 15 at the least,I have squeezed 25 mpg out of it on a few trips with good tailwinds..but mine has low gearing,at 65 its winding out pretty good,I think it has either 4:10 or 4:56 gears in it and a TH400..
Your suburban will probably have highway gears being a 1/2 ton,some had 3:08's or 2:73,or even 2:56 gears with the diesel!..that will give better mileage as long as your not towing or climbing hills..

That 700R4 tranny can slip if the TV cable to the injector pump isnt adjusted perfectly,so I'd look at that soon,it can wipe out the clutches fast if you drive it that way for long..

I see a decent '89 Jimmy K5 on CL today in Mansfeild with a 6.2 for 1900 bucks,only 67K on it !..needs some work but nice potential..wish I had the cash,my Stepside is getting rusty and the more I look at what needs fixing,the more my ulcer hurts..the exhaust system is shot from the manifolds back,and it does NOT look like getting the studs,bolts or nuts off the manifolds is going to be easy..might not be POSSIBLE!..every thing with a steel line is rusted to death--fuel,tranny,brake,and oil cooler lines look ready to pop at any minute--oil pan is already patched with JB Weld putty and the rest is rotten and ready to leak again too....the steps on the bed are paper thin too,and the fenders need some patches too now...but then, it IS 27 years old!!..Ah,the joys of owning antique trucks in New
England...sigghhhhhh..:(

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Robert. How would I adjust the TV cable?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts