My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A few weeks back I picked up a used 7x18 car hauler, 7K lbs. I am going to make transport my tractor up to my parents house tomorrow to help them with some yard work. I am trying tog et everything loaded up tonight and wanted some tips on my tie down job. I have 4 of those 2in ratchet straps, 3K working load each, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I think I'll eventually move to chains, but this should work.

In the front, I went over the frame, loader bucket, and down to the d-rings. In the back, I went from the frame just in front of the backhoe and crossed to the opposite corner. Where the strap went over a corner, I put a folded rag between he strap and the corner, though none of the corners seemed very sharp. For good measure, I put the backhoe bucket flat on the deck and ran a 1" strap side to side over it, and one over the seat to keep it from bouncing the whole way. I tied up the losoe ends on all straps.

I feel like this arrangement gives good holding power front to back, but feels a little lacking against the lateral forces. One problem I have with the straps is that the hook doesn't fit in the stake pockets or inside the rub rail, so I went to the d-rings on all corners. I'd have to go to the outside and attach it to the rub rail directly.

The trip is about 50 miles one way. I live ~5 miles form the highway, my plan is to pull over and check for tightness shortly after getting on. Then again about 30 miles later before I get off the highway.

What changes would you recommend?

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've only towed the tractor a couple times myself and used a landscape trailer. Having sides and a folding ramp gave me some comfort, even if the straps came loose, I wouldn't lose the tractor. The 18" car hauler fits the tractor much better and gives me plenty of room to move the weight forward or backward to get the weight distribution right. But its a flat deck, if the straps come loose....it could just slide right off!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I too think you tied it down well. I always liked straps better than chains if I wasn't hauling something like an excavator. I thought that straps were easier to keep tight.

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
We do commercial hauling also and we usually use chains to haul equipment. But in your case considering the size of the tractor i would do what you did. Chains are hard to work with...and its not a long haul either so you should be just fine. I like you plan about stopping and rechecking. More people need to do that. Hope you get it hauled successfully and remember - be safe.

·
21,375 Posts
Looks fine for a short trip like that.

I prefer chains with hooks welded to the bucket at least. Tires flex, even with the trailer suspension, that puts a bit more stress on the rub points with straps. That TLB weighs about 3000 lb.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Don't forget to tie down you'r hood. many tractors lost the hood when air gets under them...
That is why most people in the know haul them backed onto the trailer, I also like to have a strap or chain across the middle of whatever it is I am hauling. Kinda like a seat belt, helps reduce bounce from the tires.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
That is why most people in the know haul them backed onto the trailer, I also like to have a strap or chain across the middle of whatever it is I am hauling. Kinda like a seat belt, helps reduce bounce from the tires.
Take care to keep the tails of the straps from flapping in the breeze. After a 50 mile trip the ends might be be frayed.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just following up. The trip went well with no issues, up and back. I stopped and checked the straps as planned, and none of them loosened at all. I didn't see any cuts on the straps at contact points, though I have since invested in some strap abrasion protectors, and may still with to chains long term. I did have one guy turn in front of me that required me to hit the brakes pretty hard, not emergency hard, but hard enough to make me pucker bit, but everything was ok.

I'll call everything successful from my truck to the brake controller to the trailer to the tie down job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts