My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have way to much time so I started going through my 2004 prestige.
I finished refinishing under the foot pads so I went to a cosmetic issue I wanted to take care of. I pulled all the tins around the muffler and wire brushed them and finished in High temp paint.

I think they came out rather well for as rusty as they had been,
While I had the entire front off I decided to pull the front axle assembly and check the bushings and sleeve I have read quite a bit about. They looked decent but for the price I replaced them all.
I did notice one issue maybe you all have a suggestion for. One of the 2 grease zerk fittings was completly missing from behind the axle. I had a few extra 1/4 ones but it seems the hole is stripped out.Also the fitting pushed to far thru to the other side.I am guessing you could saw off the fitting to make it flush.My thought is to get the next size up and try.Any other suggestions?

I am just glad I have something to wrench on .I do service work by trade and not ripping copiers apart on a daily basis makes me twitchy . ;)

·
4,215 Posts
I just got one of these things recently

I reviewed it on here ...here is he link to the review...it has he link to buy them...about 11 dollars
They make them in different sizes

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
Some fittings aren't threaded, they're tapered, and tapped into place. Maybe yours fell out along the way.
I have the same arrangement on my Conquest, but don't know what kind of fittings they are. I'm curious now. You could try unscrewing the other fitting to see if it's threaded or not. If you do that, please let us know what you find!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have another question.there was a foam ring on the underside of my hood .mine was missing and I wonder if it's suggested to replace. I assume it is to pull fresh air in through the top instead of dusty air up from the bottom.

·
4,215 Posts
Yes...that foam thing is a pre filter...and does its job to protect the engine from sucking in dust to the engine compartment...you can get teh manuals at this site...free of charge...Good of Briggs & Stratton

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Good for you to find something else to do other than the idiot box. If you don't already have a parts breakdown and how everything is put together, PartsTree has many good diagrams. Just enter Prestige in the model number box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I downloaded the owners/parts from simplicity.i have the pn# .that foam piece is a bit pricey. I thought about getting the repair version of the manual but that has to be ordered since I couldn't find a downloadable version.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
I believe that foam is there to make sure the cooling fan draws cool air from outside the hood. I don't think it has anything to do with the engine air filter, which has its own foam pre-filter.

On my Conquest, some of the cooling air is bled off to feed the engine air box, and some is bled off to cool the oil cooler.

When I park my Conquest hot, I lift the hood to vent the heat, and also remove that foam from the engine tin, which gets quite hot after the engine is shut off, due to the engine's heat. Fourteen years later, the foam is still in excellent condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some fittings aren't threaded, they're tapered, and tapped into place. Maybe yours fell out along the way.
I have the same arrangement on my Conquest, but don't know what kind of fittings they are. I'm curious now. You could try unscrewing the other fitting to see if it's threaded or not. If you do that, please let us know what you find!
I looked up the official part and it looks to be a press in zerk fitting.
The amazon page shows a picture that kind of shows it:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will save it just in case. It's time to grease up my machine, so will pay particular attention to those fittings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todays project: Cleaning and paint

The grill had a nice gouge/scrape in it. I had leftover paint from the footpads so cleaned up the scrape and sprayed it.

Then I figured I would pull the battery and check the tray for corrosion. After it seemed good I spent a few hours blowing all the dirt out around the steering and cleaning the area.
Anything I should check while I have the battery out?

I ordered a new foam seal for the hood as well.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,474 Posts
You might make sure the connections on the starter solenoid are tight and clean, and check to see if all the wiring is fully seated on the switches, etc. In 14 years, I've not had a problem, but it doesn't hurt to check while you're in there. Also check the battery ground where it attaches to the frame. That's a spot that is often overlooked, and can cause some weird problems.

·
4,215 Posts
Paint job looks great...where did you get the paint?..looks like a good match...was it spray can, or real paint?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It was the $20/can spray paint I bought at the simplicity dealer.It is a bit thin so that is 4 coats.I still have quite a bit left. It was expensive but seeing how well it matched I think it was worth it. 1685611sm I believe was the part number.

·
Not so junior poster
254 Posts
To late, but I used a foam weather strip from a Big box store.
Had to trim before applying of course, but the price was OK.
YUP, clean the grounding spot on the frame and maybe a little dielectric grease?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought of trying that.I just ended up ordering one since i am trying to get it looking great (and im bored).
Project last few days is cleaning up the hood. I got the side panels and grill done but having issues with the hood.I have been using compound on it and while its better its not as good as the sides.I do have a drill mounted buffer I may try but would need to get a more liquid compound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got quite a bit done last couple of days.
I took apart the hood and used compound on them to buff out the paint. Take a look at how many service labels they put underneath.It took forever to get rid of the glue.I used a headlight restorer on the headlights to buff that out as well.

I Got the foam seal in today and reassembled the hood

I reinstalled the hood and repaired the harness running to the lights (broken thermal wrapping and ate away insulation) Installed the new bumper I "splurged" on (old one was dented and paint gone)

I next went to change the oil.Replaced the O ring around the Dipstick and also both oil cooler lines for some seeping .
I think I will tackle the trans service tomorrow then the deck is after that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Today I finally stopped putting off the trans service. It went extremely well. Followed the owners guide to the letter and it went smoothly.Even the 2 quarts in each of the ports went in as well.I need to recheck level tomorrow after using it again.Is there a easier way to check the fluid? Seems really hard to tell when the opening is the size of a dime.

I have most of the original quart of corraseal I bought to redo the foot pads left. Has anyone ever coated the underside of the deck with it?

- Guess I spoke to soon.Went out to the garage this morning and a small pool of oil under the trans.Shining a light up it looks like it may be the spin on oil filter.I retightened the filter (went about 1/4 turn more) and put a new o-ring on the filler plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I had to deal with the trans leaking .Ends up being a defective filter.I thought I looked at it before installing but I guess I missed it.I tried to push the rubber back in but it was not going.I put back in the old filter for now and it was happy.

I put in the missing zerk fitting on the front axle. They are push in zerks and do not have any ball bearing in it.Just a straight tube.

I started on the deck and decided to post these pictures to see if you can confirm they are bent.

The first one is the right side mount where the chain connects to:

The second is the lever you release the belt tension from for the deck.It looks bent downwards and does slighty scrape.Its not the best picture im sorry.

Last one is a general question.I was underneath and noticed this bracket by the lift cylinder and it looked slightly bent.Its the C style one just below the piston frame:

Any help on those pics would be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts