My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not at all sure where to put this so I'll put it here. Yesterday morning I drove out to South Side Sales in North Adams, Mass. and picked up a Steiner 430 tractor, 48" snow blower, 60" deck and a cab. The tractor itself has a little over 1000 chassis hours, a brand new Kohler, new tires on all four corners, new seat, battery, and gauges. The snow blower and deck look to have low hours and run very smooth and quiet. The cab is in real nice shape but was stored poorly so today I'm going to clean it up and mount it. The tractor and attachments are all built like a tank. I like the simplicity and use of off the shelf components throughout. Not a lot of information here on MTF regarding Steiners, I'd like to hear from other members that have any experience with these stout little machines. Here are some pics of the latest addition to the fleet. Thanks, Rick

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,864 Posts
Just curious, where was it manufactured? I've never seen one before but it's a really cool machine, good luck with it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finished putting the cab on, still need to install the lights and wiring, and replace the headliner which was destroyed by storing the cab upside down outdoors. Small tear in one door but other than that is in great shape. Lots of room too. The tractor was made in Dalton, Ohio, the deck in Orrrville, Ohio, both under the Steiner Turf name and the blower was built in Johnson Creek, Wisconsin by Textron. I believe this particular tractor was made after the Ventrac split but am not sure. I am going to call Steiner tomorrow and ask them to run the serial number so I should know then. Here it is with the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I am getting to the age where - to be perfectly honest - walking ain't near as much fun as it used to be. Walking in the driving snow even less so, my hips and knees etc. are just smoked. I have a Gravely 5665 and an LI with decks and a blower that work great but I'm outdoors and walking - and I'm about done with that. I was familiar with Steiner and was looking at them online when my wife came into the shop and asked me about them. I am an old school, cast iron, non OSHA compliant kind of guy that appreciates well engineered and constructed equipment - so I told her all about them and, because my wife is awesome, she said go ahead and get it. It will suit our needs both now and for what we have in mind for future and we both believe in policy of buy quality, buy once. I am pretty **** pleased , the more I look at it and mess with it, the more I like it - solid, common sense, grease fittings - should last longer than I'm going to need it.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I am getting to the age where - to be perfectly honest - walking ain't near as much fun as it used to be. Walking in the driving snow even less so, my hips and knees etc. are just smoked. I have a Gravely 5665 and an LI with decks and a blower that work great but I'm outdoors and walking - and I'm about done with that. .
I understand the 5665 comment, I got one last summer, it winters over in the shed!! :hide:

I do like the fair weather exercise, though!! :fing32:

·
Registered
36 Posts
thats a nice looking steiner you have, we have what i think is a 420, it has the kabota wg600b, did yours come with a kohler?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats a nice looking steiner you have, we have what i think is a 420, it has the kabota wg600b, did yours come with a kohler?
Thanks Budd, yes, it's a new 27 horse Kohler the dealer installed just prior to my buying the machine. Runs like a top and has plenty of power - likes the gas though. What do you have for attachments? I have the 48" blower, which has received a thorough workout already this winter, and a 60" mower deck that I have not tried yet - if it works half as good as the blower does I'll be pumped. I'll be able to mow the whole lower yard in 20 minutes........after the snow melts...........sometime in July

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,051 Posts
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I am getting to the age where - to be perfectly honest - walking ain't near as much fun as it used to be. Walking in the driving snow even less so, my hips and knees etc. are just smoked. I have a Gravely 5665 and an LI with decks and a blower that work great but I'm outdoors and walking - and I'm about done with that. I was familiar with Steiner and was looking at them online when my wife came into the shop and asked me about them. I am an old school, cast iron, non OSHA compliant kind of guy that appreciates well engineered and constructed equipment - so I told her all about them and, because my wife is awesome, she said go ahead and get it. It will suit our needs both now and for what we have in mind for future and we both believe in policy of buy quality, buy once. I am pretty **** pleased , the more I look at it and mess with it, the more I like it -sense, solid, common grease fittings - should last longer than I'm going to need it.
I like it, and your line of reasoning.:fing02::fing02:

A no nonsense piece of machinery designed to get the job done and last.

There is still a generation of us who really appreciate equipment built with these priorities in mind.

Enjoy, and :thanku: for posting the pics.:thThumbsU

·
10,839 Posts
Has the snowblower been modified? I've never seen paddles like those in the center of the first stage.

How does it do with the snowblowing duties? Did it take make much to get used to articulating instead of steering?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Larry - as I am sure you are aware, and perhaps are as dismayed as I am, both society and government have combined their collective genius and led themselves down a path of hyper-regulated unsustainable, disposable short term "solutions" adversely impacting virtually every aspect of our lives today. Nothing is built to last anymore....it is built to protect you from yourself, require no thought, or effort or skill, and is to be disposed of when it malfunctions. I have no tolerance for any of that. I do not foresee the situation improving.
That being said, this Steiner quite simply kicks a$$, and let me tell you, having the cab makes all the difference. Once I get heat rigged up it will be even more awesome. I move a lot of snow and I figure it cuts my time by a third compared to the Ford and the 3 point blower - plus I'm looking forward and nice and dry - tough to beat. The blower is stock, those paddles are factory and you can actually feel the pulse through the machine as they feed the blower. Been running equipment most of my life so am used to the articulation - this machine has an excellent balance of power, weight, and traction - so you can pretty much put it where you want. Here are some pics of what I take care of at work and at the house.....thanks, Rick

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts