My Tractor Forum banner

New to me SS15

8K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  Hugh-SS/16 
#1 ·
Well i got the 15!! James was able to talk the guy down to $140. It starts and runs and drives really well. lots of torque too, even though the idle nees some work. Came with a 42" dozer and some tire chains. The ignition switch blew out and the guy put a push button start in it, so to turn it off i need to pull the plug wire on it. but overall, it runs well, the paints really not that bad, and it drives smooth. all i really need to do is put a key in, wire up the lights, and clean the carb (maybe) but other than that its good to go.

when i sold the 8XL, the guy was talking to me about my SS16. he had two, but sold them because he liked the customs and older suburbans better. he has a new nose cone, an 18hp onan, cast iron wheel weights, and some engine parts that he is bringing me next weekend, just because he didnt need them, and cause i asked for wheel weights :)

i stupidly forgot to take any pictures of it, but i took a video of it and it is uploading now.

ill take a picture in a few minutes once the video is done

ps, thanks again to james for moving the 15 and cleaning/rebuilding the pump on the 16 :thanku:

See less See more
#2 ·
Just watched your vid Hugh,
Nice machine, I like those old Briggs.
Good luck, you will enjoy it I'm sure!

Keith

#5 ·
i think i really did well, it starts everytime, and runs pretty good. compared to the ss16 which ran, then didnt, then ran, then didnt

#6 ·
and does anyone have the manual that they could email to me?

#9 ·
What is your email address. I have one I got from another member.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Lookin' good Hugh. I might have to find me a SS Sears tractor some day.

#17 ·
So two things. One does anyone mow with their 14 or 15? And two, what would work well as floorbord material?

#18 ·
Skate board tape or rubber diamond plate from harbor freight

#20 ·
Yeah that stuff is good too!! I am planning on my next restore to paint the underside of the frame, fenders, and running boards in that stuff too.

#24 ·
so i put the dozer blade from the 16 on it and was plowing some mulch, dirt, leaves etc in a light rain when i got stuck. wet mulch is not a good place to be when you have no weights or chains, are on a slight downhill and have a heavy plow hanging off the front. i got the 16 out to pull it out and it started and ran like a cadillac. pulled it out in low 3rd at idle no problems at all.

then i went back to the same spot with the gameplan of jam in in high 3rd and bust right through..

FAIL.

the same root that stopped me before stopped me again. after 15 minutes of trying to wiggle past it i gave up and got the ss16.

pics!!

#25 ·
nice tractor for the price... and yes u can mow with it at half throttle just listen to it basically it'll tell you what it wants (i sound like a nut but its true)

#26 ·
Looks like you are having a blast Hugh.......bury them to the axle and tug them out, it's fun!!!!!
I do like that SS 15 buddy......I'm a little jealuos!

<<<<<<Hey that was post # 100........LOL

#28 ·
It is stuffed in the corner of the garage at the moment, been a busy summer, didn't get either of the boats in the water this year, been work work and more work. It is the season to make time for it now I think.
Mine is a 10hp 1967 if I remember corectly.
2 of the 3 Custom's are operational and the Snapper RER will need a little TLC this winter and the Snapper LT12 I think is going to need a trany rebuild also.
2 large lawns and my lawn a week means some maintenence on them!

#31 ·
yea its awesome. i cant wait for the stack on it. i need to level out the idle. it will idle down really nice and low then stall. but maybe i will leave it alone because it runs so nice

#32 ·
Not too sure yet, may be in the market in the spring for a C.U.T. to replace a forklift at the family resturant & country store. Got to see what i can get for the forklift first then go from there, I need something a little more usefull than a fork lift but still move 800# pallets once a year, it sits the rest of the year.A Kubota or JD with a FEL and other attatchment maby snowblower front or rear mount and a belly or rear deck, lot of options out there. I would really like to keep the Sub at this point though.

#33 ·
how do i drain the oil from the engine and how much does it take? will straight 30w work?

#34 ·
you should get the model number off the motor- Briggs website has free manual downloads.
straight 30 is what i put in all my motors- usually the drain is just a pipe plug on the oil pan somewhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.