My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a S370D Beaver 4x4 with a loader (pic 10) and reverser (pic 11) is present and Im pretty excited. I got a non-running discount and Ive never worked on a diesel before, but Im confident it was still a good deal at $2575 with delivery included. Engine cranks, but wont start, compression is 275psi on #1 and 300psi on #2, I put in some lucas oil (pic 7) yesterday to try and free up the rings and will top off with some high mileage ATF to help out. Glow plugs are toast (pic 6), some previous owner moved the ignition switch to the glow plug indicator hole and wired the glow plugs to the ignition on side of the switch so any time the engine is running the glow plugs were hot. There was a lot of loose bolts on the front axle hubs so I tightened those up and emptied my grease gun on both sides (pic 1, 2), the center pin (pic 3), and tie rod end (pic 1, 2) zerks. Im not sure how many tubes Ill end up putting in there, but Im going to try and fill it up after work today til I see something squeeze out. Havent changed or drained any fluids yet, Im not 100% sure what gear oil to use on which gear cases until the service manual arrives and Im hopeful that my ATF/Lucas oil in the cylinders will get this thing going and I want to take it for a spin and try out all the levers (pic 4, 5) and the front loader.
Goal for today is to rewire the ignition switch and replace wiring to glow plugs, top off cylinders with ATF (pic 8), use entire tube of grease on any and all zerks I find, and maybe powerwash all the dirt and grease off of the underside and the engine so I can find any leaks, cracks, and just have a clean tractor.
I was thinking of adding some sea foam (pic 9) to the cylinder mix, any opinions on that? How do I decifer the year from my serial number? Can I find out the year any other way?

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's an awesome deal if it doesn't cost you too much to get it running.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday I emptied the last of my grease into various points on the tractor, mainly the front axle. Checked local auto parts store for glow plugs, but theyre all special order. My ignition switch doesnt look like it belongs on this tractor and might not be made for diesels. When I turn it to the left I dont get 12V on any of the contacts. I ordered oil, air, and fuel filters, glow plugs, and the switch at stevens tractors. Seems like decent prices, the shipping was a little rough, but they had everything I needed and its faster than the special order from auto parts stores. I ordered all the fluids and grease on amazon, shipping is much better with prime. Meanwhile Im letting my ATF fluid soak on the piston rings in hopes of more compression by the time the ignition switch and glow plugs arrive. Ive seen some videos where restore had helped bring up the compression, but I only found videos of gas engines bringing it from 60-70psi up to 120psi. I need to go from 275-455psi, 375 at the minimum. Anyone on here have any success with that? Im doing everything I can to avoid re-ringing.

·
8hp4me
279 Posts
I like the Satoh's tractors too, I think the are a good value for the money. I have a S650G (Gas) tractor I am working on that's needs some TLC.

Yours seems to be in great general condition and both the loader and the PTO reverser are a big plus!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the Satoh's tractors too, I think the are a good value for the money. I have a S650G (Gas) tractor I am working on that's needs some TLC.

Yours seems to be in great general condition and both the loader and the PTO reverser are a big plus!
It seems like its in good condition, but the engine needs to start for me to be happy. Im waiting on my glow plugs to arrive, so hopefully the rings pop back in place and well be in business. Currently Im trying to source part numbers. So far I have:

Oils:
-----------------------------
Engine Oil - 15w/40 Diesel Oil (.8 gal/3L)
Trans/Hydraulic - AW46 (2.6 gal/10L)
Axles - 80w/90 Gear Oil (.25 gal/1L)
Rotella HD tractor fluid (for trans/hydrauli/gear)

Tires:
Front = 5-12
Rear = 8-16

Alternator/Water Pump Belt:
1/4"(6mm) x 35-1/4"(895mm)
NAPA - 25-7348

Glow Plugs:
NGK 6825 10mmx1.25

Air Filter:
kubota - 70000-11221
FRAM - CAK530
NAPA - 6270
Hastings - AF167K
Wix - 46270

Oil Filter:
FRAM - 3593A
WIX - 51334
WIX - 51344
SUPERTECH - ST3593A

Fuel Filter:
__with bleeder screws
Baldwin - BF7845
GUR - GFI89060

__without bleeder screws
FRAM - G6459
NAPA - 3387
WIX - 33387
Purolator - F54498
Champ - G2932

Alternator:
for ~1972 Ford Courier 1.8L 4Cyl
BBB/Reny - #14194
Beck/Arnley - 1860103

Starter:
for 1978-1980 Dodge Colt 2.6L 4Cyl

Im not 100% sure on the axles, the operator manual says to use dentax 80 or 90 on trans/hydraulic/gear for shell which very similar to the rotella hd. I went with rotella hd on advice from satohparts. The glowplug was what was in mine when i bought it. I got the rest of the list of another forum and reposted here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugs just arrived, but its still raining and the beaver is under a tarp. The oil probably could use some more days of soaking and my new ignition hasnt arrived yet. I spent the day yeaterday linseed oiling my 60+ year old work bench and garden tools the previous homeowner left for me. It looks awesome and I cut it down an inch so my milwaukee rollaway fits in the lineup. I need to organize the pegboard and the shelves better, but yoh shouldve seen it before, just piles of tools, parts, and misc wife things.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts