My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just recently traded my old 4 wheeler for this beast. Needs alot of cleaning up, new paint and new belts. But I think it should do what I plan for it. (hauling wood, plowing snow) It came with a homemade snow plow. When I found the ad, it was posted as a 1975 19hp 990. But I don't have a clue what it is really. Trans is a 4 spd. That's all I know for sure right now. Here are some pics from the previous owner, I`m hoping to post some progress pics as it comes along....so enjoy!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
That ant a 990, if I am not mistaken, the 990s all had hydro lift and a hydro trans. its prolly a 960.
Though I cant remember weather they had anything hydro or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Through my readings and looking around on this site and the net, I have come to the conclusion it's not a 990. But I'm still trying to figure out what model it is for sure.

·
close enuff works for me
3,123 Posts
Looks a lot like my MTD 860 ,12 hp briggs with 4 speed manual trans . The model number is on the rear of the fender pan , above the hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Definitely not a 990, being gear drive. All 990s are hydro drive and have 4-lug 15" rear wheels. They do share a lot of parts, though.

I want those 5-lug rear hubs for my 990!

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i saw that thing listed while it was still for sale. not a 990, perhaps 960? if the engine is indeed a 19hp then its a replacement.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Looks like a 960 to me as well. And as Benn points out, a 19HP engine would be a replacement.

Nice find!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so how's the best way to tell what hp the engine actually is, it was painted along with everything else

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
On many of the old Briggs, the spec # is stamped on the engine shroud, so it should be barely legible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the manuals blacksmithman. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

I got a little cleaning up and painting done over the past few days. Here's some new pics!

Starting to look a bit better I think

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha Thanks!

I made the bumper/winch/plow mount on Monday, and today did the painting. I still have to clean up the overspray, clean up the engine, and finish the front bumper.

But it's coming along

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Great job on the repaint. I love the winch on the front.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Dang . . . Nice job on the paint and upgrades!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts