My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won this Genie GL-4 material lift in an ebay bid. Final cost was about $65. Rated at 500 lbs.

Forklift1.jpg Forklift2.jpg

Forklift3.jpg Forklift4.jpg

It's missing the two front support legs that exist under the forks but I thought I could make some myself.

How'd I do ?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make fit the back of your tractor....
Spot on! I am going to figure out a way to add this to my tractor. I think it may be fairly simple to do. If I proceed in that direction, I'll post some pics.

How did you do?....Ya dun good
thanks! I just about fell out of my chair when I found I had won considering how much these go for on Amazon.

I have one similar to that. I really like it.
I'm sure you'll like it also.

Good find!
I'd been pondering getting a forklift of some kind for a long time. I even penciled out building one out of a hand truck. When I saw this one up for bid, I couldn't let it pass.

·
close enuff works for me
2,971 Posts
After you mount it on your tractor ,put a 12 volt winch in the place of the hand crank,with winch control near steering wheel.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After you mount it on your tractor ,put a 12 volt winch in the place of the hand crank,with winch control near steering wheel.
Good thought. Might be a bit more complicated because I will still want to be able to use it off the tractor.

I may be able to use a battery powered drill because the hand crank is already designed to be removable by simply pulling out a spring loaded retainer pin.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Works great lifting window air conditioners up to set in windows, work benches, etc.

First thing you lift over 150 pounds, should pay for itself, IMO.

CCMoe

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got legs!

I finished making some legs for the forklift. This is what the factory legs look like:

factory-legs.jpg

This is what I was able to build:

new-legs.jpg

The hard part was finding the caster mounting plates. They're not available separately from the factory.

Once those were found, it was just a matter of drilling all the holes; making some spacers to adjust the clearance of the casters; and welding the mounting plates to the square tubing.

I used 2x 2x 1/8 tubing and the caster mounting plates are also 1/8 thickness, so everything is very stout.

I haven't decided if I will paint the legs, but for now the unit is fully functional. :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I got legs!

I finished making some legs for the forklift. This is what the factory legs look like:

View attachment 2368835

This is what I was able to build:

View attachment 2368837

The hard part was finding the caster mounting plates. They're not available separately from the factory.

Once those were found, it was just a matter of drilling all the holes; making some spacers to adjust the clearance of the casters; and welding the mounting plates to the square tubing.

I used 2x 2x 1/8 tubing and the caster mounting plates are also 1/8 thickness, so everything is very stout.

I haven't decided if I will paint the legs, but for now the unit is fully functional. :)
Nice work. I use a couple of those at work for changing heavy motors. They make a plate to go across the forks and it is very handy. Very nice score on that!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They make a plate to go across the forks and it is very handy.
I did see that plate... but it isn't cheap. I will need something like that. I'll have to get creative and see what I can come up with a an alternative.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you do use it off the tractor can you lock the wheels?
There are no wheel locks on the unit now. I would have to block the wheels if needed.

There is an optional wheel lock accessory that can be purchased, but...it's not cheap.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got brakes !

I couldn't afford the factory brake setup, so I had to find another solution. After many different ideas I settled on toggle clamps and after trying it, out I am very happy with the result.

This photo shows the brakes disengaged

brake_01_040919.jpg

This photo shows the brakes engaged

brake_02_040919.jpg

This photo shows a close up of one of the brakes engaged.

brake_03_040919.jpg

It's nice because I can set or release the clamps with my foot. They hold surprisingly well and the total cost for clamps and hardware was about $15.

Fortunately, the lift already had two holes on each side of the base next to the wheels for some other purpose but worked fine to mount brackets for the clamps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts