My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won this Genie GL-4 material lift in an ebay bid. Final cost was about $65. Rated at 500 lbs.

Forklift1.jpg Forklift2.jpg

Forklift3.jpg Forklift4.jpg

It's missing the two front support legs that exist under the forks but I thought I could make some myself.


How'd I do ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make fit the back of your tractor....
Spot on! I am going to figure out a way to add this to my tractor. I think it may be fairly simple to do. If I proceed in that direction, I'll post some pics.

How did you do?....Ya dun good
thanks! I just about fell out of my chair when I found I had won considering how much these go for on Amazon.


I have one similar to that. I really like it.
I'm sure you'll like it also.

Good find!
I'd been pondering getting a forklift of some kind for a long time. I even penciled out building one out of a hand truck. When I saw this one up for bid, I couldn't let it pass.
 

·
close enuff works for me
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
After you mount it on your tractor ,put a 12 volt winch in the place of the hand crank,with winch control near steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After you mount it on your tractor ,put a 12 volt winch in the place of the hand crank,with winch control near steering wheel.
Good thought. Might be a bit more complicated because I will still want to be able to use it off the tractor.

I may be able to use a battery powered drill because the hand crank is already designed to be removable by simply pulling out a spring loaded retainer pin.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
973 Posts
Works great lifting window air conditioners up to set in windows, work benches, etc.

First thing you lift over 150 pounds, should pay for itself, IMO.

CCMoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got legs!

I finished making some legs for the forklift. This is what the factory legs look like:

factory-legs.jpg

This is what I was able to build:

new-legs.jpg

The hard part was finding the caster mounting plates. They're not available separately from the factory.

Once those were found, it was just a matter of drilling all the holes; making some spacers to adjust the clearance of the casters; and welding the mounting plates to the square tubing.

I used 2x 2x 1/8 tubing and the caster mounting plates are also 1/8 thickness, so everything is very stout.

I haven't decided if I will paint the legs, but for now the unit is fully functional. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
I got legs!

I finished making some legs for the forklift. This is what the factory legs look like:

View attachment 2368835

This is what I was able to build:

View attachment 2368837

The hard part was finding the caster mounting plates. They're not available separately from the factory.

Once those were found, it was just a matter of drilling all the holes; making some spacers to adjust the clearance of the casters; and welding the mounting plates to the square tubing.

I used 2x 2x 1/8 tubing and the caster mounting plates are also 1/8 thickness, so everything is very stout.

I haven't decided if I will paint the legs, but for now the unit is fully functional. :)
Nice work. I use a couple of those at work for changing heavy motors. They make a plate to go across the forks and it is very handy. Very nice score on that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They make a plate to go across the forks and it is very handy.
I did see that plate... but it isn't cheap. I will need something like that. I'll have to get creative and see what I can come up with a an alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you do use it off the tractor can you lock the wheels?
There are no wheel locks on the unit now. I would have to block the wheels if needed.

There is an optional wheel lock accessory that can be purchased, but...it's not cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got brakes !

I couldn't afford the factory brake setup, so I had to find another solution. After many different ideas I settled on toggle clamps and after trying it, out I am very happy with the result.

This photo shows the brakes disengaged

brake_01_040919.jpg

This photo shows the brakes engaged

brake_02_040919.jpg

This photo shows a close up of one of the brakes engaged.

brake_03_040919.jpg

It's nice because I can set or release the clamps with my foot. They hold surprisingly well and the total cost for clamps and hardware was about $15.

Fortunately, the lift already had two holes on each side of the base next to the wheels for some other purpose but worked fine to mount brackets for the clamps.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top