My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post on the walk behind board:

I picked up this 1967 5235 a little while ago off of CL. It has the mag chute, bag, and came with a 2 gallon Blitz can with about a gallon of 16:1. It runs well, and gave a great cut even with a blade that has seen much better days. I grew up in the late 70's & 80's cutting with my dad's 8229C, and I did not remember how well these mowers manicure the lawn. It does need some work though, it's a leaker. The guy I bought it from had it since the early 90's. I asked what type of work he had done, and he said he had only messed with the carb over the years. I does not appear to leak from the bottom crank seal, but I have the seals on the list to replace. the leak appears to be coming from over the muffler underneath the carb. The side discharge plate is not correct. I looked for the part number on the parts and service website and it looks to be a 678505. There is one on eBay that says it is a 678505/604025, but it does not look like the right one. There is another on eBay that is a 604025 that looks a little better, does anyone know if the part 604025 would interchange with the 678505 and fit a 5235? I also want to get a mow N mulch plate, but I do not know if they made them for the earlier models, would a 19 inch mow N mulch plate work somehow - it does not have to be perfect. Last question is about the colors, I have read that Krylon almond is a good match for the Bermuda Sand on the deck, but does any one know of a good match for the blue? I would like to respray the flywheel screen and maybe the gas cap. Also, since the wheels are a little wobbly I may pick up either the Arnold steelies or the Arnold 3 spoke looking plastic wheels and spray them the blue (I know it is not period correct, but I think it would look good). My intention is to use this as a semi-daily driver, not a show piece. I also have a 7260, but can not use it weekly, because the deck is cracked in the middle of the grass chute(but that is another story).

Thanks for any information or answers to questions, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I did a little checking for you. The number 604025 is a casting number. the correct number you need is 678505. You can also use a 678018, that is the same except it does not have the hole for the hold down wing screw. You would have to drill a hole in the correct location. There are three covers listed as 604025 on eBay. If you look one is actually the 678505 cover with the hole and the others are 678018 that fit earlier models that had a spring clip to lock the cover with out the wing screw. I may have a good used one that I would sell to you for less then half of what the ones are on eBay. I will not be back at work until Monday. Let me know if you want me to see if I have one. As for a mulching plate, You may be able to modify one to work, but it would have to be one for a 19 inch mower.
Bill

·
5,703 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum! That is a great find and worthy of putting some time and material into. Yes the Krylon almond is a very good match. I used it on my beige 1968 model 3054. Seems to me someone mentioned Valspar Pacific Blue for the accessories but not 100% sure. My flywheel screen was green so I only had to deal with the gas cap, pull start handle and on/off switch. I custom mixed Testors hobby enamel to the closest I could get and hand painted my accessories. Wont work for you with the flywheel screen. When I took off my flywheel screen the underside had a decent amount of paint. Maybe you can get a match that way. Otherwise the on/off switch can be used to get a paint match. As far as the mulch plate goes I don't think the newer mulch plate will work on that style deck. Personally I do not mulch and was told that mulching is hard on the older mowers without full bearings on the crankshaft. With that mower I would either bag or side discharge. I do not have the answer regarding the side discharge plate but I would guess if it is magnesium it should work on your mower. Someone will be along to confirm or deny this. Again, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading more about your project. Bill

You are not too far from me here in the Quad Cites, Davenport.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-Metal-Side-Discharge-Plate-off-Model-725/153691865237?hash=item23c8bfc095:g:0ocAAOSw1LJdrJaU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-5238-D-407-2-Cycle-19-Inch-Mower-Metal-Side-Discharge-Plate-604025/232747359141?epid=2162068072&hash=item3630d2dba5:g:UvoAAOSwA1pazrML

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Nice score. That’s a good example of a survivor. Shroud looks to be in very good condition. Most of that era usually have their shrouds beat up pretty bad. I think your going in the right direction. Throwing some new seals in is insurance. I’d also take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning and replace any worn components
For the blue I found the closest match to be Caribbean blue. It’s almost spot on when compared to a NOS gas cap I have. Here’s a pic

Your flywheel screen looks like it would have been painted a mint green originally. I have the identical mower and mine was green. It also looks like it has traces of green in your pic. If I recall I think I used a rustoleum apple for that colour
Don’t hesitate to ask us any more questions. This forum has a ton of folks with a ton of knowledge to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,703 Posts
When I painted the flywheel screen on my 3054 I used Testers Sublime Green hobby paint. There was some paint left on the back of the screen and I just happened to have some spray paint here so I tried it and it was a great match. Geoff, that blue does look like a great match. Bill

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know why I thought the flywheel screen was blue, most likely from a YouTube video. Here is a pic from earlier today, definitely the green that was suggested. Thanks for the help, will be asking for more in the future.

Attachments

·
5,703 Posts
Here are some pictures from my 3054 restore thread. One is showing the original paint from underneath the screen and the other is the repaint with the Tester's Sublime Green. Other picture shows the repainted screen next to the decal. I would get a set of wheels and paint them the same color as the flywheel screen. Bill

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,031 Posts
Looks really good! I think you found a keeper. I have the 1966 version of that mower, the 5234, and I love it. I just can’t bring myself to using that one after it was painted and cleaned up.

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be great if you could check to see if you have the side discharge plate. I would be like to buy one, hopefully, I can get this mower back in service.

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks great Bill. If only mine looked that good. I have worked on many two stroke snowmobiles from the 80's-90's, but I am still wondering If I can work on these....

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
hello JDillner
hope you see this note on your 1967 5235 says you need cover plate have one that i will sell
to you and other parts to get your mower running you may need please let me know also sent you pm to let you i have the parts
take care Scott aka Lbuser64 thank you

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
-+hello JDillner again
forgot to add i also have same model as well and the big brothers also 1967 models 7256 mowers
and the 1967 7217 lawn-boy mower without the catcher and bag hope to hear back from you
soon thank you Scott

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First post on the walk behind board:

I picked up this 1967 5235 a little while ago off of CL. It has the mag chute, bag, and came with a 2 gallon Blitz can with about a gallon of 16:1. It runs well, and gave a great cut even with a blade that has seen much better days. I grew up in the late 70's & 80's cutting with my dad's 8229C, and I did not remember how well these mowers manicure the lawn. It does need some work though, it's a leaker. The guy I bought it from had it since the early 90's. I asked what type of work he had done, and he said he had only messed with the carb over the years. I does not appear to leak from the bottom crank seal, but I have the seals on the list to replace. the leak appears to be coming from over the muffler underneath the carb. The side discharge plate is not correct. I looked for the part number on the parts and service website and it looks to be a 678505. There is one on eBay that says it is a 678505/604025, but it does not look like the right one. There is another on eBay that is a 604025 that looks a little better, does anyone know if the part 604025 would interchange with the 678505 and fit a 5235? I also want to get a mow N mulch plate, but I do not know if they made them for the earlier models, would a 19 inch mow N mulch plate work somehow - it does not have to be perfect. Last question is about the colors, I have read that Krylon almond is a good match for the Bermuda Sand on the deck, but does any one know of a good match for the blue? I would like to respray the flywheel screen and maybe the gas cap. Also, since the wheels are a little wobbly I may pick up either the Arnold steelies or the Arnold 3 spoke looking plastic wheels and spray them the blue (I know it is not period correct, but I think it would look good). My intention is to use this as a semi-daily driver, not a show piece. I also have a 7260, but can not use it weekly, because the deck is cracked in the middle of the grass chute(but that is another story).

Thanks for any information or answers to questions, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Hi and welcome to the Forum! That is a great find and worthy of putting some time and material into. Yes the Krylon almond is a very good match. I used it on my beige 1968 model 3054. Seems to me someone mentioned Valspar Pacific Blue for the accessories but not 100% sure. My flywheel screen was green so I only had to deal with the gas cap, pull start handle and on/off switch. I custom mixed Testors hobby enamel to the closest I could get and hand painted my accessories. Wont work for you with the flywheel screen. When I took off my flywheel screen the underside had a decent amount of paint. Maybe you can get a match that way. Otherwise the on/off switch can be used to get a paint match. As far as the mulch plate goes I don't think the newer mulch plate will work on that style deck. Personally I do not mulch and was told that mulching is hard on the older mowers without full bearings on the crankshaft. With that mower I would either bag or side discharge. I do not have the answer regarding the side discharge plate but I would guess if it is magnesium it should work on your mower. Someone will be along to confirm or deny this. Again, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading more about your project. Bill

You are not too far from me here in the Quad Cites, Davenport.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-Metal-Side-Discharge-Plate-off-Model-725/153691865237?hash=item23c8bfc095:g:0ocAAOSw1LJdrJaU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-5238-D-407-2-Cycle-19-Inch-Mower-Metal-Side-Discharge-Plate-604025/232747359141?epid=2162068072&hash=item3630d2dba5:g:UvoAAOSwA1pazrML
Here are some pictures from my 3054 restore thread. One is showing the original paint from underneath the screen and the other is the repaint with the Tester's Sublime Green. Other picture shows the repainted screen next to the decal. I would get a set of wheels and paint them the same color as the flywheel screen. Bill

·
Dillner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I cleaned the magnesium grass chute (no pictures) and the shroud and the metal ring around the flywheel screen. I used simichrome for the metal ring around the flywheel screen.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That shroud cleaned up nice! I'd leave the decals alone too.

·
5,703 Posts
That flywheel trim ring looks amazing!! Better than new. As far as the shroud goes, it looks great as is. Unless you are going to make it a shelf queen I wouldn't worry about the decals although you can get a set from Graveyardmowerz pretty reasonably. In the past when I had mowers that the decals looked great except for a few spots I used Testers hobby enamel and mixed paint and touched up the bad areas but that's just me. That is going to be a nice mower when you are done. Enjoying the pictures of the progress. Bill

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
hello Jeff
tried to email you but you did not reply to ask do you still want to buy the cover plate
and if you see this post please let me know thank you also have other parts you may
need as well so hope to here back from you your friend Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts