My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 425 yesterday with a Hard cab and snow blade and I need help to find a snow blower to install on it for the hard Iowa winters to come. First time on the site. In some preliminary checking I believe I need a #47 snow blower? In some of my reading it would seem that the 47 was available in different forms. So to keep from spending countless hours looking I thought maybe some of the informed here might lend a hand and spoon feed me in what I need to look for and if I possibly can find a used one or if I just need to dive in and purchase a new snow blower. Like I said any help here would be much appreciated.

I've been a Deere owner for all of a month now with my first purchase being a used D140 with 51 hours on the clock. I will fully admit that I've never owned a Deere before and in the past I had to settle for something less. The D140 will be used for mowing only and the 425 will be used for plowing and snow blowing provided I can find a snow blower for it.

In addition I will need to purchase some type of weights and chains I believe its going to be a rough winter.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Serial/Model number chart and Pic attached, do not look at any that have a black plastic chute.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Any 47" QUICK HITCH compatable Snow Blower will fit. The only differences will be in the Up-Stop and drive shaft. You will also need the long drive shaft for the Mid-PTO out put shaft to run up to the front of the tractor so you can hook the Snow Blower drive shaft to.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Think I would be looking for a two-stage blower for your winters..... The single stage is fine, if the snow ain't too deep.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
That single stage for the 425 is a great unit, I wouldn't worry about it's performance compared to a two stage. I grew up using a 425 for blowing snow in Wisconsin and there wasn't anything that it is isnt capable of handling. Besides, is there even a two stage option for the 425 as a plug and play set up?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have both 47 2 stage and a 46 single stage. Both units work quite well. I believe my 46 throws the snow further but I did switch to a smaller chain sprocket.

Either unit will work with your 425, but there are cheaper ones for lawn tractors that look similar if your not very familiar with them. The ones for lawn tractors have a plastic chute and are belt driven. Make sure you are looking at quick hitch shaft driven units.

Some used units will come with the long pto shaft. There are 3 different styles that I'm aware of. 1- works with 425,445, and 455 models, these have a hexagon shape for the carrier bearing. 2- works with 2wd x series these have a yellow bracket where the carrier bearing is and it snaps into place. 3- X series with 4×4, this is a shorter shaft than the other 2 and has a coupler and u joints on both ends

Next is quick hitch. There are 2 different styles that I'm aware of. The 425, 445, and 455 use the first version. This first version will also fit the x series tractors as well. This version locks into the ear where the mow deck draft arm rides, so the deck will need to be removed to use this hitch. The x series hitch uses a different mounting hole and the deck can remain on the tractor while using the hitch. This style hitch is not compatible with the 425,445 and 455 tractors.

Now for the short shaft that is mounted on the snowblower. This shaft must be paired with the correct quick hitch. Because the first version of quick hitch rides in a different hole it's closer to the tractor and the short shaft needs to be shorter. The incorrect shaft will fit but it be at its limits before the hydraulic cylinder is at its up/down limits.

I know it's very confusing and I can get some pictures to help you visualize if needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
Any 47" QUICK HITCH compatable Snow Blower will fit. The only differences will be in the Up-Stop and drive shaft. You will also need the long drive shaft for the Mid-PTO out put shaft to run up to the front of the tractor so you can hook the Snow Blower drive shaft to.
The Up-stop in most cases does not Have to be replaced Because it actually the same Part for either a compact or a 425 thru X758 On a 47inch Blower It will be the Blower side drive shaft that has to be changed The compact tractor drive shaft will not work On the 425 thru X758 It will come In contact with the frame On a 425 thru X758 You will not be able to lift it more than a Inch or so on the quick Hitch I have a 47 Blower than I Can use On the X748 & 2025R But Have to change out the drive shaft and Put hoses extensions On Though the drive shaft for a 425 thru X758 will Probably work On a compact tractor Blower (y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information. I would assume the chart will help in trying to purchase a unit. I appreciate the understanding and help especially since I didn't get a book and or any information on the unit. I have a 54" plow and no idea how the hydraulic hoses connect to the block with the matching connectors. No chart on the tractor and if there was one it has been covered with the hard cab framing. There are as you know two hoses from each cylinder one is close to the piston on the cylinder and one is on the bottom(opposite) on the cylinder. The guy I bought it from disconnected everything so fast that I didn't get to observe the correct connections. Any help here would be appreciated. Diagram?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With respect to the single stage and dual stage plows. During my lifetime I have used walk behinds like a Deere 826 and other units that were single stage. Single stage works well in dry snow but here in IA we seem to get 10-12" sometimes that is extremely wet and hard to move. I think I am going to steer towards a two stage unless a single stage were to fall in my hands that was priced as so I couldn't pass it up. If I could count on only dry snow I would of course go single stage if for no other reason than the cost. At any rate I'm open and at my age with several heart attacks shoveling isn't an option.

I did purchase a used 54" blade if for no other reason than to have something in case I don't come across a snow blower unit. Getting a 54" blade down a 48" sidewalk leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I appreciate the understanding and help especially since I didn't get a book and or any information on the unit. I have a 54" plow and no idea how the hydraulic hoses connect to the block with the matching connectors. No chart on the tractor and if there was one it has been covered with the hard cab framing. There are as you know two hoses from each cylinder one is close to the piston on the cylinder and one is on the bottom(opposite) on the cylinder. The guy I bought it from disconnected everything so fast that I didn't get to observe the correct connections. Any help here would be appreciated. Diagram?
Diagram attached

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the attachment. I have neither a diagram or colored plugs on either the tractor or the plow hoses. Is there a correct way to hook up the hoses from the cylinders? I suppose the worst that could happen is the movement of the lever would be incorrect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Struggling to get the drive shaft out. Never done it before on a tractor and never seen one before. Its looking like I need to jack up the front end in order to move the mower deck far enough forward so the drive shaft drops. Either that or I'm doing something wrong or something is screwed up.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Struggling to get the drive shaft out. Never done it before on a tractor and never seen one before. Its looking like I need to jack up the front end in order to move the mower deck far enough forward so the drive shaft drops. Either that or I'm doing something wrong or something is screwed up.
Pull back locking collar on driveshaft before you can remove driveshaft.

Use this manual, basically the same procedure

Try this link, similar procedure, even has a downloadable mower manual

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About 5 minutes after I posted I went out to the garage with a flashlight and spotted the collar. When I saw the collar it clicked in my head and I knew what I was dealing with. I undid the drive shaft jacked the front up and easily slid the deck to the side. Hey thanks for the info much appreciated.

I'm getting into this tractor thing. Looking for a bad engine to rebuild. I will admit with the hood open I was wishing there was room for a small 4 cylinder or maybe yet a small block chevy engine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm confused now. People have ads wanting to sell their 47 snow blowers and then mention their keeping part XXX. Been looking now for a 47 snow blower but haven't turned up a complete one within 300 miles of home. There has been mention of the single stage snow blower so I guess is there a model number sheet on the single stage?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just what part XXX are they keeping? Might it be specific to their tractor and not needed for your setup? The blowers I have bought new didn't have any parts that would be specific to the tractor, I had to buy the specific Driveshaft and Up-Stop for my specific tractor. When I purchased my 1026R and moved my 47" blower from the 445 to the new tractor, I had to buy the long Mid-PTO Shaft, the short drive shaft for the Blower, Hose extensions and a new Up-Stop. I kept the 445 parts in-case I want to re-install the blower on the older tractor. So far the 1026R has the job, I love that cab in the winter, hate it in the summer so the labor division has the 445 doing the mowing and the 1026R the blowing and any 3-point jobs.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm confused now. People have ads wanting to sell their 47 snow blowers and then mention their keeping part XXX. Been looking now for a 47 snow blower but haven't turned up a complete one within 300 miles of home. There has been mention of the single stage snow blower so I guess is there a model number sheet on the single stage?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sent PM may have a 47 for you from a 425/445/455

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On some ads people are keeping the drive shaft of a quick mount of some type.
Just what part XXX are they keeping? Might it be specific to their tractor and not needed for your setup? The blowers I have bought new didn't have any parts that would be specific to the tractor, I had to buy the specific Driveshaft and Up-Stop for my specific tractor. When I purchased my 1026R and moved my 47" blower from the 445 to the new tractor, I had to buy the long Mid-PTO Shaft, the short drive shaft for the Blower, Hose extensions and a new Up-Stop. I kept the 445 parts in-case I want to re-install the blower on the older tractor. So far the 1026R has the job, I love that cab in the winter, hate it in the summer so the labor division has the 445 doing the mowing and the 1026R the blowing and any 3-point jobs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts