My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, just wanted to share my new addition, as I join the Cub Cadet family.

This week I was able to get a GTX 2000, with a 48" fabricated deck. It's a 2013, it appears to be in great condition, and has only 65 hours. The owner's husband passed away 3 years ago, so it has sat since then. The only rust I've noticed is on a few scratches on the deck, so it appears to have been kept indoors. The hour meter also initially shows 11 hours, which I'm guessing is maybe the time since the last service?

This is my first GT, first fabricated deck, first Kohler (Command 20hp), and first hydro. So it will be a learning experience.

I'd been looking for a "new" garden tractor for a while, largely looking at John Deere options. This one caught my attention because of the physical condition, fabricated deck, and the 65 hours. Around here, Deere GTs in a similar price range (I paid just under 1/3 of the original receipt) are often more like 500-800 hours or so, and maybe around twice as old. So this offered some nice benefits.

I have a mid-90's geared Craftsman lawn tractor, which needed a replacement transmission a few years ago, and last year I needed to weld and repair rusted-through areas of the deck.

I have under a half-acre, but there are some inclines, and I'm now using it for dethatching, aerating, lawn-rolling, and moving around my utility trailer (like when loaded with dirt). I think I was asking too much from the Craftsman LT.

I'm not looking to do "serious" GT work. No tilling or anything. I mainly wanted a heavier-duty machine, with a stronger transmission, which will handle the things I pull. I will probably add the ~$200 mulching kit, with the baffles for the deck. I mulch now, and am happy with the results.

The engine oil and hydro oil levels were both somewhat over-filled. I drained them down to within the proper range. I bought synthetic 10W-30 for the engine, and Mobil 1 5W-50 for the tranny, per info from Hydro-Gear's BDU-10 manual. I ordered a Wix 51410 filter for the tranny. I plan to change the oil and filter for each.

I greased all the fittings with #2 EP grease, except for the plastic deck wheels (couldn't get my grease gun onto those fittings). The deck wheels got some "dry" Finish Line spray bike lube, which goes on liquid, but dries and leaves just a film of Teflon, so it doesn't attract grit. I also used that on the pivots that I could see, and the steering rack gear. I can't get the seat to slide forward/back, but I'll look into that later.

I hope the machine will give me years of good service.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Hi all, just wanted to share my new addition, as I join the Cub Cadet family.

This week I was able to get a GTX 2000, with a 48" fabricated deck. It's a 2013, it appears to be in great condition, and has only 65 hours. The owner's husband passed away 3 years ago, so it has sat since then. The only rust I've noticed is on a few scratches on the deck, so it appears to have been kept indoors. The hour meter also initially shows 11 hours, which I'm guessing is maybe the time since the last service?

This is my first GT, first fabricated deck, first Kohler (Command 20hp), and first hydro. So it will be a learning experience.

I'd been looking for a "new" garden tractor for a while, largely looking at John Deere options. I have a mid-90's geared Craftsman lawn tractor, which needed a replacement transmission a few years ago, and last year I needed to weld and repair rusted-through areas of the deck.

I have under a half-acre, but there are some inclines, and I'm now using it for dethatching, aerating, lawn-rolling, and moving around my utility trailer (like when loaded with dirt). I think I was asking too much from the Craftsman LT.

I'm not looking to do "serious" GT work. No tilling or anything. I mainly wanted a heavier-duty machine, with a stronger transmission, which will handle the things I pull. I will probably add the ~$200 mulching kit, with the baffles for the deck. I mulch now, and am happy with the results.

The engine oil and hydro oil levels were both somewhat over-filled. I drained them down to within the proper range. I got synthetic 10W-30 for the engine, and Mobil 1 5W-50 for the tranny, per info from Hydro-Gear's BDU-10 manual. I ordered a Wix 51410 filter for the tranny. I plan to change the oil and filter for each.

I greased all the fittings with #2 EP grease, except for the plastic deck wheels (couldn't get my grease gun onto those fittings). The deck wheels got some "dry" Finish Line spray bike lube, which goes on liquid, but dries and leaves just a film of Teflon, so it doesn't attract grit. I also used that on the pivots that I could see, and the steering rack gear. I can't get the seat to slide forward/back, but I'll look into that later.

I hope the machine will give me years of good service.

View attachment 2459458
Congrats! That's a great machine and very similar to my XT3 GSE. I think the only thing I have over you is the power deck lift. Isn't that power steering sweet? Makes me grin every time I mow with it.

On the digital display it will give you the volts first and then the hours. So if it says "12" then "11" you have 11 hours.

If your grease gun end won't go on it may be adjusted too tight.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Yeah, the power steering is pretty cool. My other tractor wasn't bad for that, certainly not when you were moving. But even for just a simple LT, you had to give the wheel a bit of a twist when stopped. I was hoping to find a machine with foot hydro controls, to allow changing speeds while 2-hand steering around items. This provides that, and the power steering makes it even easier! I was happy to see that you can turn the wheel with the engine off. So even if the PS did have a problem in the future, maybe it could just be steered manually.

(Edit- Ooh, looks like the XT3 may also have a differential lock? That would have been a really nice feature, but difficult to find in my price range)

The turning radius is also tighter than my last tractor, which is a nice surprise!

Thanks for explaining the voltage reading. It would have been nice if the manual mentioned that. I find the lack of a headlight switch sort of weird, I may add some sort of switch under the hood. For now I just unplugged the ground from each light. The lights are really dusty under the lenses, I'll need to figure out how to safely remove the lenses for cleaning.

Good to know on the grease gun, I'll have to adjust that. I don't use mine often, but it will probably get more use now. I may need to get a longer hose for it or something too, I was just barely able to get it, and my arm, down into the steering rack area to grease those 2 fittings.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts

Yeah, the power steering is pretty cool. My other tractor wasn't bad for that, certainly not when you were moving. But even for just a simple LT, you had to give the wheel a bit of a twist when stopped. I was hoping to find a machine with foot hydro controls, to allow changing speeds while 2-hand steering around items. This provides that, and the power steering makes it even easier! I was happy to see that you can turn the wheel with the engine off. So even if the PS did have a problem in the future, maybe it could just be steered manually.

The turning radius is also tighter than my last tractor, which is a nice surprise!

Thanks for explaining the voltage reading. It would have been nice if the manual mentioned that. I find the lack of a headlight switch sort of weird, I may add some sort of switch under the hood. For now I just unplugged the ground from each light. The lights are really dusty under the lenses, I'll need to figure out how to safely remove the lenses for cleaning.

Good to know on the grease gun, I'll have to adjust that. I don't use mine often, but it will probably get more use now. I may need to get a longer hose for it or something too, I was just barely able to get it, and my arm, down into the steering rack area to grease those 2 fittings.
Yeah, I have a long hose on my grease gun. Almost necessary for those 2 zerks on the steering. I gave up on the headlights. Bulbs are worthless. @Mudyapster put some LED lights under his bumper that worked well for him.

He also tried some high lumen LEDs in place of the factory bulbs put in older model 1156 holders and ultimately said it didn't light up enough to be worth it.

ETA: The diff lock is only on the XT3 GSX. I have the GSE with no diff lock. I put 24x10-12 Ocelot ATV tires on my XT3 and have never needed a diff lock even when pulling 400lbs of gravel and iron drag uphill. I have absoultely needed my diff lock on my 3240 with loader. So I'd say you probably won't need the diff lock with better tires unless you mount a loader.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Heh, I'll have to see how the lights do when I get a chance to use it in the dark. They can't be worse than the lights on my Craftsman :) I added some of the free blue battery LED lights from Harbor Freight to that machine. They looked goofy, but they were cheap, and actually performed quite well, I had 3 of them mounted.

I'll clean the lenses and housings as a starting point, and it's good to know that LEDs are an option. I have a decent LED headlamp, I ended up also using that when mowing in the dark. At least that shines where you're looking.

I have to check how far down the steering grease fittings are, then I can pick a longer hose for the grease gun. I might look into an angled tip for the gun, to make it easier to connect to some of the fittings.

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts

(Edit- Ooh, looks like the XT3 may also have a differential lock? That would have been a really nice feature, but difficult to find in my price range)

What You would need to do is Buy a Trans for the XT3 GSX it will Bolt right in then Buy a fender deck for the GSX as well wouldn't be To Much work actually The cost for the Trans is a little Hard to swallow $2,124.42 (but that included new rear axle) and You would only need the rear fender section $307.91. So You would be Looking at $2,342.33 Plus.
Much of the Hardware i.e. Nuts Blots and Washers could be reused, mower Lift quadrant ect could be transferred over to the new Fender deck Then Youn would have diff/lock with Manual lift (y)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info, it's good to know about that option. That would be a pretty pricey upgrade, more than doubling my investment in the machine.

I don't think I'll really need the diff lock, it just would have been a nice thing to have available. If I have traction issues, I would probably start with swapping out the turf tires, and maybe adding weights, but hopefully it won't come to that.

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
See I think MTD should produce the XT3 GS with diff/lock as well see I think it's kind of crazy that a XT3 GS is a Upgrade over the XT2 GX54 D and it doesn't have diff/lock But the XT2 GX54 D does have diff/lock

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did my first mowing with it yesterday. I'd forgotten just how much of a dusty mess side-discharge can make :) I mulch 99% of the time, and may use the bagger every few seasons for something, so it's been a while since I ran one like this.

The tractor did great. The power steering is a very nice feature. And I like being able to enable mowing in reverse (we don't have kids, very little risk of little people being in the yard). That, combined with easily changing between forward and reverse with the two pedals, made back/forth maneuvering much quicker and more "fluid" than on my geared tractor. Plus the tighter turning radius helps as well.

The ride was a bit uncomfortable (existing neck issues), when bouncing over bumps, so I may try lowering the tire pressure from the current 12 front, 10 rear (max, per the manual). And I need to figure out how to free up the sliding seat, which currently won't budge. Maybe the PO was really tall, but it's too-far back for me.

I ordered the mulching kit, hoping I can have that installed before the next mowing. It would also give me a chance to look under the deck.

The deck was actually level in both directions, though I wouldn't mind being able to raise it a bit further. Fully raised, the blades are about 3 3/4". The deck wheels seem to all be at 1-hole up from the bottom, but I'm mowing with the deck almost fully raised, so maybe I should lower them.

This is probably the first outdoor equipment I've bought that doesn't have a long list of parts, bushings, etc, that are worn and need to be replaced. That's a nice change. Filters and fluids are really the only things I'm looking to change, everything else I've checked has seemed fine.

I may go around and grease the fittings again, to help make sure the old stuff is out of them, after it's gotten some exercise. And I want to get plastic caps for the zerks, maybe that would make them easier to re-grease, if they weren't caked in greasy dirt.

It's an encouraging start, I'm impressed with the machine so far.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Congrats again on the new tractor. I'm not sure how the steering box grease fittings access is on your GTX but it's a pita on my XT3 whereas my old 2166 is a piece of cake to access. I bought an 18" flexible grease gun extension and a pipe coupling to connect it. I learned some new words while feeling around for the steering box zerks and attaching the grease gun end to them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks! Yeah, I'm getting the impression that the GTX and XT3 are at least pretty similar. Mine has a smaller 20hp engine, but there seem to be quite a number of similarities otherwise.

I can say they at least seem to share the same pain-to-access steering zerks :) I'll try a longer hose, that should help, and maybe a pistol-grip gun, so one hand can be kept on the gun's connector while getting started.

But I'm glad they at least provide fittings. That's a lot better than having no good way to lubricate them. A longer hose, and some new words, is a lot cheaper than a new steering setup.

My headlights are not sealed. I popped the lenses off, and washed the very-dirty lenses and silver plastic linings. That should at least get the most out of the incandescent bulbs they're using. But the silver plastic linings had melted to the bulbs a bit. Looking into LED options might be worthwhile. Or just leaving them unplugged when it's light out.

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I'm getting the impression that the GXT and XT3 are at least pretty similar. Mine has a smaller 20hp engine, but there seem to be quite a number of similarities otherwise.

I can say they at least seem to share the same pain-to-access steering zerks :) I'll try a longer hose, that should help, and maybe a pistol-grip gun, so one hand can be kept on the gun's connector while getting started.

But I'm glad they at least provide fittings. That's a lot better than having no good way to lubricate them. A longer hose, and some new words, is a lot cheaper than a new steering setup.

My headlights are not sealed. I popped the lenses off, and washed the very-dirty lenses and silver plastic linings. That should at least get the most out of the incandescent bulbs they're using. But the silver plastic linings had melted to the bulbs a bit. Looking into LED options might be worthwhile. Or just leaving them unplugged when it's light out.
Cub Cadet 2000 series that came Out In Late 2011 for 2012 Model Year & the XT3 series are the same Tractor about the Only real difference Is engine HP, and Most of the GT/GTX 2000 series had Incandescent Head Lights and Diff/lock was Not a Option. The GTX2154 SE Basically became a XT3GSE The GT/GTX most Model Came standard with a certain deck size as well while 42 Stamped thru 54inch Fabricated is available for the XT3 GS the 42inch stamped thru 60 Fabricated our available for the GSX and the discountinued GSE.

So any of the Current decks for the XT3 series will fit on your Tractor also all attachments that are on the Cub Website for the XT3 will also fit Your Tractor(including the sleeve Hitch) even though the website says for 2015 Model and Later the sleeve Hitch for the XT3 series will fit your Tractor.

Your Tractor today is basically a XT3 GS (y)

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Your Tractor today is basically a XT3 GS (y)
It's actually between the GS and GSE as it has power steering. Can we call it an XT3 GSC? :D

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
It's actually between the GS and GSE as it has power steering. Can we call it an XT3 GSC? :D
Whoops forgot about the Power steering

When they first Came Out Not every GTX200 came with Power steering Because the company they were Buying from didn't Have enough power steering Kits Produced They were reserved for the GTX2154SE for the 1st year of Production Forgot that they did finally Put the Power steering Kits On that Model as it was supposed to Have Late In 2012 Production But at the dealers show it still hand Manual steer On the floor Model (y)

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
I will say this Though about the Power steering. It's Nice But I still wish they used Hydraulic Power steering as It's actually More responsive I Notice it every time I Mow the XT3 GSX is Nice But when I switch over to the Deere GX335 to Mow My 1/2 acre dog run The XT3 GSX Power steering actually feels Like sort of a Let down compared to Hydraulic Power steering on the Deere (y)

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I will say this Though about the Power steering. It's Nice But I still wish they used Hydraulic Power steering as It's actually More responsive I Notice it every time I Mow the XT3 GSX is Nice But when I switch over to the Deere GX335 to Mow My 1/2 acre dog run The XT3 GSX Power steering actually feels Like sort of a Let down compared to Hydraulic Power steering on the Deere (y)
I actually prefer the electronic steering on my XT3 over the hydraulic on my 3240. The 3240 reminds me of my 72 Olds Cutlass--floaty and easy but without much feel. The XT3 feels like a power rack and pinion on a sports car like my Miata.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GSC, for XT3 Gosh, Super Cool? Sure, I can get behind that idea :)

In my case, I didn't really have a choice on PS styles (beggars can't be choosers). Hydraulic systems made me wonder if the eventually have leakage problems. But that's just me thinking about what might be wrong. And if hydraulic steering systems are more often found on machines that can also do things like running hydraulic cylinders, that would be pretty cool. But those sorts of applications (while awesome! Like your loader, Steve) are well beyond anything I foresee needing, so it's OK if I don't have a 32xx-class machine.

Thanks for the info about my machine being compatible with XT3 decks and accessories, that's good to know. I think I have the attachments I need currently, though other options are fun.

I ordered the mulch kit (19A70016100), but I heard from the store today, sounds like it's back-ordered for about a month, with Cub. That's too bad, but I'll just keep side discharging for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
My XT3 GS came equipped with Armstrong power steering 💪........:whistle:
I remember several of us all but begging you to get the GSX with power steering. Too bad they discontinued the GSE when you bought your GS.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I remember several of us all but begging you to get the GSX with power steering. Too bad they discontinued the GSE when you bought your GS.
Yeah yeah I know lol, in all honesty if it had been hydraulic steering it would probably have been here instead. I'm really ok with the manual steering, it's not that bad and is getting easier now that 50 hrs. is under its belt. I had at one time thought about a JB jr. and was concerned about the manual steering but as it turned out my next door neighbor recently sold off all his construction equip. and small cattle farm then bought a new big commercial zero turn and compact tractor with an fel. I swear he has his small lawn mowed and is sitting on his porch sipping ice tea in 20 minutes or less lol. He's really gung-ho to use that fel and said if I ever needed anything moved all I have to do is ask so it all worked out. (y)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts