My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here and to having a lawn tractor. Snagged an 02ish GT235 with a 48" deck and 42" snowthrower (but no hood) for what I thought and have discovered was a **** of deal. Mower works great. Runs like a top, mows the pioneer cemetery I got it for just fine (deck likely needs leveled, one scalp wheel mount is cracked/bent). My concern is for the upcoming winter with the snowblower. I'm worried about traction. I've done some searching here, and from what I'm finding I'm figuring the most important thing will be weight in the rear. I'm just trying to decide what the best way for ME to achieve that is. I have an extra set of rear wheels/tires that are the Titan 2 ply turf tires. One is weather checked to badly to hold air, but would it hold fluid? Or maybe fashioning some sort of bracket on the back end to hold weight behind the axles?

I may also have questions about getting it set up after figuring out how to get the deck off when I'm done mowing for the season. I'm sure it's not that bad, I just haven't looked into it yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Well You can Put 4 suit Case weights on the Rear has a Built In weight Bracket
I Plow with a GX335 about the same sized Tractor I do Have diff/lock But have never used it I run 4 suitcase weights In the Rear Plus two 50Lb wheel weights I also Have HDAP style rear tires 23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac 4 ply and the thing has been Unstoppable in the snow

BTW You Can get a aftermarket replace Hood at these two Places there relatively cheap compared to buying a new Hood from Your dealer
(y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've actually already replaced the hood with pieces from Kumar and a 2nd hand grille that came with all the mounting hardware and lights.

So you're saying the rear is already set up to take some suitcase weights? That would be great. Now to try and find some from somewhere other than a dealer. Same with tire weights. Those things aren't cheap either. That's the other thing, I'd like to to avoid spending too much on adding weight if I don't have too. I know I've got to 'pay to play,' but I'd like to save as much as possible. Would you suggest HDAP over Ag type tires? I know another option would be chains, too.

Well You can Put 4 suit Case weights on the Rear has a Built In weight Bracket
I Plow with a GX335 about the same sized Tractor I do Have diff/lock But have never used it I run 4 suitcase weights In the Rear Plus two 50Lb wheel weights I also Have HDAP style rear tires 23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac 4 ply and the thing has been Unstoppable in the snow

BTW You Can get a aftermarket replace Hood at these two Places there relatively cheap compared to buying a new Hood from Your dealer
(y)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sergeant, I am looking at purchasing a new upper hood for a few dollars more than an after market hood would cost. I think I'd rather have an OEM hood than aftermarket, unless it is made from better material or something.

Not sure about the gt235 it may be narrower, but my gx345 and 345 will take 5 suitcase weights.

You might want to hook a strap to that front frame bracket and find a good size tree or post and pull that back out. Looks like someone hit something very hard with that tractor.
Looks good BTW. Get some decals on there and it will look new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Yeah, I've been contemplating pulling that back out. I would imagine whatever did that in is what did the original hood and grille in. I actually got he model decals when I got the hood. I just haven't put them on yet. Still debating on the stripes.

I'll have to take a closer look to see if I'm set up for the suitcase weights. That would make things pretty easy if it is. I know I reach over that rear bracket to pull the transmission pin to let it roll, so it's completely possible.

Not sure about the gt235, but my gx345 and 345 will take 5 suitcase weights.
You might want to hook a strap to that front frame bracket and find a good size tree or post and pull that back out. Looks like someone hit something very hard with that tractor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also guess whoever ran into whatever, caused this little pain in my *** as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Thanks! I've actually already replaced the hood with pieces from Kumar and a 2nd hand grille that came with all the mounting hardware and lights.

So you're saying the rear is already set up to take some suitcase weights? That would be great. Now to try and find some from somewhere other than a dealer. Same with tire weights. Those things aren't cheap either. That's the other thing, I'd like to to avoid spending too much on adding weight if I don't have too. I know I've got to 'pay to play,' but I'd like to save as much as possible. Would you suggest HDAP over Ag type tires? I know another option would be chains, too.
Rear Hitch Plate you Place suitcase weights on the red Line In the Diagram (y)
Screenshot_2020-09-09 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
ThumbnailHandler.ashx - Copy.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Sergeant, I am looking at purchasing a new upper hood for a few dollars more than an after market hood would cost. I think I'd rather have an OEM hood than aftermarket, unless it is made from better material or something.

Not sure about the gt235 it may be narrower, but my gx345 and 345 will take 5 suitcase weights.

I leave space for the the Transmission relief lever and to me 4 is Just fine
Well I hear complaints all the time about the Deere Hoods Being to expensive. I'll Buy a New OEM Hood first But One day it Might Not Be available so it's good there are Aftermarket suppliers out there(y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I would have preferred to have original equipment, but I couldn't justify spending twice what I had into the mower for the full kit from JD. I tried finding used, but those are few and far between, and any that were available were too far away from me.

I leave space for the the Transmission relief lever and to me 4 is Just fine
Well I hear complaints all the time about the Deere Hoods Being to expensive. I'll Buy a New OEM Hood first But One day it Might Not Be available so it's good there are Aftermarket suppliers out there(y)

·
Money Pit
546 Posts
I used the same LX grill as you did on my 235. Most people will never know the diff. I'm to cheap for a GT grill. Fantastic machines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured someone would catch that at some point. Considering I got it basically complete with lights/harness, hinge points, and hardware to mount it to the grille for less than what I could find a pair of hinge points, I'm saying it works pretty well and is close enough. Just wish I could get that 16hp sticker off.

I used the same LX grill as you did on my 235. Most people will never know the diff. I'm to cheap for a GT grill. Fantastic machines.

·
Money Pit
546 Posts
Get that deck off and give it a good look over. If that one turns out to be unrepairable you can use many different size decks off many different model tractors. I have three for mine, 38, 48, and 54. My all time favorite deck is the 44 inch Piranha. I've owned lots of them but my customers keep talking me out of them. I should have put one on the no touch shelf because I haven't been able to find another in quite some time.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Yeah, I would have preferred to have original equipment, but I couldn't justify spending twice what I had into the mower for the full kit from JD. I tried finding used, but those are few and far between, and any that were available were too far away from me.
That's why In Posted the Links Most Just don't want to spend a Lot on a used Machine and I fully Understand that (y)

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Get that deck off and give it a good look over. If that one turns out to be unrepairable you can use many different size decks off many different model tractors. I have three for mine, 38, 48, and 54. My all time favorite deck is the 44 inch Piranha. I've owned lots of them but my customers keep talking me out of them. I should have put one on the no touch shelf because I haven't been able to find another in quite some time.
I would agree the 44 P is gold Love to fine one for My GX335 within a 4hr driving distance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the Piranha decks, I've seen a couple with in a couple hours of me for sale and seriously considered trying to snag one. It would make a world of difference in the leftover at the cemetery since we're going to shoot for once a month next summer. It currently looks like hay down after not being mowed all season until we started taking care of it. Knocked half of it down with a rented brush mower and did the rest with my trimmer. I was able to make my first pass over about 2/3 of it with the deck in the raised position and chop a lot of it up and then went over it all again with it at about 3.5 and really minced it. But it's all still laying in rows pretty good. I do have a yard sweep to try to get some of it up, but we ran out of time last time out and it would have required numerous dumps to get it all I think. If I don't get a hold of a Piranha, I may try for a 54 just to cover a little more ground each pass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or I could go with a Power Flow system and bag it.

I've also wondered about just getting some mulching blades and a plug for the 48.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Or I could go with a Power Flow system and bag it.

I've also wondered about just getting some mulching blades and a plug for the 48.
Try some Gator Or Predator Blades On the 48C. There still some discharge But Not Like a Tradition Mowing Blade (y)

Reactions: denverguy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. That's also something I had thought of.

I just looked again and one of the Piranha decks is still listed. It's about 2.5 hrs one way from me and listed for $155. That's really tempting.

Try some Gator Or Predator Blades On the 48C. There still some discharge But Not Like a Tradition Mowing Blade (y)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts