My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a super convertible with a brush hog, sickle mower, and sulky for a real decent price! I've wanted one for a while so I was stoked!!

I went out with it yesterday and hogged with it for about an hour or more and it started to die out. Too warm?? Old gas?? Hadn't been run in awhile, so...new gas, cleaned the plug, it had a new air filter on it and gas filter, new oil....it's been running outside for about 3/4 hr. now and it's going strong. I'm going to run the gas though it as I do not want to be stuck on a hill with this beast!

Is there a way to make the low speed REALLY low speed? And what do folks do to increase traction? Two wheels? Chains??

I'm happy with it, however, it IS a heavy unit and I may have to trade it for something like it but lighter, Simpility or something?? Any ideas? My land is all hills, and I need something that's not going to bust me up running it though the tall grass and brush.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
For running at lower speeds of course make sure that your range selector is in low and your PTO as well. Aside from that the only other thing to do is lower the RPM's. I actually rarely run my 5260 at wide open throttle because I just don't need it. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle does very well for me.

You could get gear reduction wheels I think but I may be wrong about that since they really were designed for Model L's and they have a different axle I believe.

Finally you could look into getting the gears to make it an "i" or intermediate speed transmission but that may take some cash! See this post:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=128077&highlight=ground+speed

Finally you could get some Ag Tires with more aggressive tread or duals. I don't know if chains would treat your lawn very well. I have dual Ag tires and I LOVE THEM!

One final word of caution. Be very careful riding behind the tractor on the sulky especially on hilly ground. If you are in a turn and the tractor goes into a ditch or up hill those handle bars can come right down on your groin!

Good luck and enjoy your Super Convertible!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I'd definitely go with dual wheels, and ag (chevron) tread tires. The dual wheel spacers are also heavy, adding weight. Rigged like that, it will be hard to walk on slopes the Gravely will run on. I'll also second the caution about the sulky on hilly ground. I can't imagine a machine better suited to hogging hilly areas.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,222 Posts
Very nice machine, all the best with it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a low for the PTO?? I just thought you pushed it in to engage it? I also was told the RPM's control the Pto speed.

This thing when in low wants to RUN, I've got the rig in low, which doesn't seem to be much different then High, still at a fast walk pace. I'm having to feather the clutch to keep it under control.

It still loses power and stops running when on a hill, going up a hill. I have to take it out of gear, and re-start it with some choke. ***?? It seems to have trouble when "working" too, loss of some power, however on a flat, just the motor and no PTO, it will run forever.

Any ideas?? :banghead3

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gravely came out with an L, LI, LS. The L is the fast model the LI is the intermediate model and the LS the slow model. Later they came out with the swift-o-matic which gives 4 speed forward and 4 reverse and you can go even slower. You might have the L model gears.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
The hi/lo speed lever controls both ground speed and PTO speed.

Unless my eyes are decieving me, you have the two-speed axle shift lever, right next to the tank on the underside of the right handlebar. The hi/lo is separate from the two-speed axle, ie regardless of whether you're in hi or lo axle, you can still select hi/lo speed. So slowest ground speed is lo axle, and low speed.

That is a super-conv, which is essentially an L model (not one of the newer kohler powered units), but you can't put GRWs on it, because the 8-speed axle has different flanges.

Re losing power, clean the carb and check the float level. If your float is off, you could be starving it when not exactly level.

Nice rig, welcome to gravely land!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a lever on the left, that engages the PTO.And the throttle control. Two levers on the right, one is forward and back, the other is high/low. How hard is it to adjust the float level? And are there carb kits available for these things? Mine has a metal tag on it too, like a toe tag almost. WHATS that about?

Thanks for the info, I'm 51 and my shoulder still is sore from trying to pull it out of the high weeds where it got stuck! :thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
At 400%, there is no lever.
Oops :fing20:

Ok, so take back what I said about the two-speed axle.

Per al_b, you might have one of three gearsets for the final drive. You can tell by looking at the data plate which one it is, unless this is a really late model with the s/n on the advance casting. You still have the hi/lo speed control. Based on what you said about it being too fast even in low speed, you probably have L or possibly LI gears.

The good news is that you probably *can* put GRWs on it. Those will slow it down plenty. They're not cheap, though, expect to pay 175-200 for a decent set.

There are carb kits available. Check ebay. Also, if you don't already know about Richard's Lawn and Garden, you should. www.gravelyparts.com

Also see www.oldgravelys.net for manuals galore, including procedures for adjusting all sorts of things.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the sites, don't know about changing the gears, just think it may be too much machine for me. I'm thinking of trading it for a lighter model or Simplicity or D&R or something, just really need something to brush cut/weed wack around the fences and ponds. Something that's self propelled.

I really did not expect this rig to be this quick!

If I keep it a carb job is in order I guess. Have some one check that float.

:thanku: Gerry

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
You don't need to change any gears, GRWs just bolt on to the axle housing. You take the wheel hub off the axle, stick the pinion gear in its place, then bolt the gear housing over it.

See http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/Model_L_Own_Man_1064.pdf page 6

I can't tell you whether a gravely is the right tool for your situation, but I find them to be amazingly competent and versatile machines, far better than the lighter/newer stuff that's out there.

Good luck!

·
Good Times!
236 Posts
Welcome gerryw: The Super is my favorite of the five G's I own, maybe cause it was my first.
Question for ya, does your's doesn't have a handle below on the right side like this one?
And if it does, do you feel a noticeable difference in speed when you put it in low+high vs high+high?
I know that with mine it doesn't always get into high gear cause I need to adjust the lever.

plus getting the combination right for what ever job your doing is just part of getting to know these machines.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind Gerry -- you can run the model L at a very low RPM and it will beat its way through brush and trees. Especially with a governor. I run Ls around 1000 - 1200 RPM without noticing any lag at all many times. For bigger trees I might whack up to half or full throttle for a second or two, but a high idle takes care of most stuff.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome gerryw: The Super is my favorite of the five G's I own, maybe cause it was my first.
Question for ya, does your's doesn't have a handle below on the right side like this one?
And if it does, do you feel a noticeable difference in speed when you put it in low+high vs high+high?
I know that with mine it doesn't always get into high gear cause I need to adjust the lever.

plus getting the combination right for what ever job your doing is just part of getting to know these machines.
Nope, it doesn't have a lever, wish it did! It looks like, as others have stated, that with my terrain I will be looking for reduction gears for the axles. With my hills, and brush, a fast walk is just too fast!

Dual ag tires look to be in order as well for traction, so spacers, etc. This could get pricey, do I want to do it is the question? Also, a carb, float check needs to be done, I really believe that the comment on the loss of power being a float issue makes perfect sense.

I'm a wheel horse person, and these are a new spin for me, I WANT to make it work because it's a nice machine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One other thing to keep in mind Gerry -- you can run the model L at a very low RPM and it will beat its way through brush and trees. Especially with a governor. I run Ls around 1000 - 1200 RPM without noticing any lag at all many times. For bigger trees I might whack up to half or full throttle for a second or two, but a high idle takes care of most stuff.
I do need to remember this, I do not believe mine has a governor on it, but it does run great on level ground even at a low RPM, so, if I can take care of the stalling issue........low RPM's are going to be the next try.

(MAN!! Did you see the tractors i 1276's avatar???)

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Gerry-

You say gear reduction wheels and duals. This is a no go as the gear reduction wheels are a different size than the standard 4.80-8's. At this point you have found the machine for your situation (in my opinion) but instead of sinking a bunch of money into modifying it, you would do better to probably find either an LI/CI or a complete L8/C8. I have seen people spend crazy money on an accessory and then a whole machine with mower, plow, sulky and the accessory they were looking for, go for just $100/150.00 more.

Some good prices can be had if you do not get into a rush.

As for other equipment for this type of work.... I've tried a bunch of them and there is a reason I now have a heard of Gravely. Trailblazer mower, DR, etc... they won't keep up and they really are MORE work to use the lighter equipment.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts