My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I finally put the Gravely to work today. I brought a bunch of red oak home over the last few days and needed to split and stack it. My yard is hilly and my riding mower has had trouble pulling a load up hill, traction was always an issue. With the Gravely it hardly knew the load was there. So now I need a bigger cart!

The only thing I noticed was if I parked it with the left side downhill and let it sit for a little while not running, it would get a little oil into the combustion chamber. I am guessing the rings are a little worn on that side.

Sorry, no pictures. We (my two boys helped) were too busy splitting, hauling and stacking.

Brian.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Oil will leak past the rings if the oil level is high enough. Rings are not a perfect seal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Got some time to tinker on the Gravely. I noticed that without anything attached to it front end would get light going up hill. I have the snow blower I got with it apart so I decided to use it with the lead blocks I got with the Power King I recently picked up.

It works pretty good. I can really tell the weight is up there. Next I am going to look for a 50 gal drum, weld some brackets to it and make a little "Johnny Bucket" out of it.

My Power King has a FEL on it and weights for the front wheels. I've been cleaning them up lately and realized the PK front wheels are the same rim size as the Gravely rear. I decided the front weights would do more good on the Gravely and they fit nice, just need to get longer bolts for the deeper rear Gravely rims.

Brian

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Got to test the new weights on the tractor this weekend. My boys helped me split and move some hickory. The 816 did real well.

Here is a short video of it running. Very smooth and quiet, specially when you consided the condition of my muffler!

Brian.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with the Gravely. I am putting it up for sale (I have a post in the for sale section). The Gravely really showed me what a GT could do compared to a lawn mower. This made me want more! I picked up a Power King with FEL and I still wanted more. So, when a Kubota 1500D came up for sale near me for a great price with FEL, HST 4wd, locking diff, power steering, weight bucket, 54 inch MMM, CAT1 3 point hitch and only 280 hours I jumped on it.

Thanks again!!

Brian.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Well I sold the Power King to my brother and decided to keep the Gravely. It has been running great until recently when it got harder to start and then just refused to fire. It took some time but I finally traced it down to a fault at the points box on the CCKA engine. There is a washer that is supposed to isolate the circut where the stud comes out of the box. This washer was very brittle, cracked and had chunks missing. The faulty washer was grounding the coil rather then the points. I replaced the washer with a thick piece of rubber and it was back to its old self again.

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Well I sold the Power King to my brother and decided to keep the Gravely. It has been running great until recently when it got harder to start and then just refused to fire. It took some time but I finally traced it down to a fault at the points box on the CCKA engine. There is a washer that is supposed to isolate the circut where the stud comes out of the box. This washer was very brittle, cracked and had chunks missing. The faulty washer was grounding the coil rather then the points. I replaced the washer with a thick piece of rubber and it was back to its old self again.

Brian
Nice work brother! :fing32::fing32::fing32:

·
Back in VA!
215 Posts
great to see you kept the Gravely.

My next project on mine will be paint work to get it looking as good as yours!

If I can ever get it back from the latest charity lend. I've lent this mower out so many times, I never get to spend the time to break down / paint it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi bleoh,this has been a great thread, I am looking forward to some pictures of the mower deck on the gravely and snowblower progress. I see you kept the wheel weights from the PK.:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got a good news/bad news update. I sold the Gravely. However, I sold it to my nephew. This winter he was talking about wanting to earn money plowing driveways, mowing in the neighborhood and any other jobs he could help homeowners with. He is a freshman in high school and was trying to make a 16 year old lawn tractor work. So I sold him the Gravely at a very good price this past Saturday. He had access to a Brinly plough and the next day was helping plough a garden in. I am very proud of the initiative he is taking and was happy to see the Gravely go to a good home. You are not rid of me though, because I'm sure I'll be helping him with the maintenance and repairs. Which reminds me I still need to finish the deck, it is about 85% done.

And since I just can't seem to be without several old chunks of iron hanging around, I picked up a Cub Cadet model 1872 from my neighbor with a mower deck and snow thrower. Took me a couple of hours to clean it up and get it running. Starter was loose and a squirrel or mouse had stuffed it full of nuts. It has power steering, front and rear hydraulic lines and steering brakes. Should be a fun project.

Brian.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts

Brian
Say Brian . . . .great thread. In regard to this problem. I am digging into a CCKA on a 450 I am re-doing. In the picture below you can see a crack in the piece that seals off where the plunger comes up to work the points. Is this what was damaged and caused your problems? Something else? Thanks for your time on it.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
My issue was where the wire entered the box via a post if I remember it correctly. There is a rubber grommet to isolate the post. Mine was cracked and missing chunks and eventually the post contacted metal causing a short. You can see the post in this picture.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
CAD, nice looking tractor. Mine is not quite that nice. I'll start a thread on it in the Cub section.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Thanks Brian - I will be looking for that to head off potential problems.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts