My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a nice current model Echo CS-400 from a pawn shop for a great price. Haven't had the chance to use it much other than a few quick test cuts. Seems to run well, I don't think the previous owner put too many hours on it. Are there any trouble areas on these saws that I need to be aware of? I have read in several places that their carbs tend to be too lean from the factory.

·
Keeper of the bees
2,409 Posts
I have heard the same thing. Check the plug for the color and if it is gray get it to a dealer ASAP for a carb adjust.
I also have heard they are a great saw other than the lean run problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the smaller engined CS-370. I haven't run it all that much, but it has been completely dependable when I have needed it. I enjoy running mine.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thought I would give an update. The CS-400 is running nicely now, running and cutting like a champ. For awhile it had a heckuva vacuum leak somwhere, never could find the exact source. I removed the carb and intake, inspected everything, found no problems. Carefully reassembled and now it runs great. I'm guessing a gasket was not seated properly or something like that. Hopefully it will behave from now on.

This has whetted my appetite for more Echos. I found a CS-450 missing the bar, chain, and clutch cover on Fleabay for $65.00. I took a chance on it and found that, while it looks beat, apparently hasn't been used much, stil has lathe lines on the piston. Replaced the missi g parts and now it's doing great. I also dug out my basket case CS-3000 that I've had for awhile. Rebuil the carb, replaced a few broken pieces, and did a basic rebuild on the engine and now that one is doing great also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts